AJD45 is offline Registered User

Greg Olson as OC?

I keep reading Greg Olson is expected to be hired as offensive coordinator, but there's been no explanation whatsoever given. Have Linehan and Olson worked together before? I realize that with Linehan calling the plays, the OC job is in name only, but I can't see any positives behind hiring Olson. Olson's NFL experience has been in the wuss coast offense (worthless), with one of the worst coaches to ever walk a sideline (Mariucci), and did nothing with his opportunity in Detroit (or with Harrington). Seems to me they are just naming a guy who sucks enough to be willing to be a cheap, powerless lackey -- but then why wouldn't Linehan bring in someone he's worked with to be that? Does anyone know what's the deal here?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Greg Olson as OC?

Olsen and Linehan both coached at Idaho, but their paths never crossed out there (Olsen '94-'96....Linehan '92-'93), but other than that I don't see any direct connections.

I think the first choice was Charlie Baggett who has been with Linehan for the past 4 seasons, but the Dolphins weren't allowing Baggett to interview. I believe there is some speculation now that the Dolphins may change their mind after all.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

As you said AJD, with Linehan planning on calling the plays and running the offense, Olson would probably have as much effect on this team as Fairchild did when Martz was on the sideline.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Three
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    As you said AJD, with Linehan planning on calling the plays and running the offense, Olson would probably have as much effect on this team as Fairchild did when Martz was on the sideline.
    That's what I was thinking Nick, he would be like the token booth guy. We never heard a peep about Fairchild until Martz got sick and stepped away.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm sending in my resumé now, considering this must be one of the easiest jobs in the world. You don't call plays, your head coach is an offensive guy who has his own system. Just what exactly would the Rams OC actually have to do? Solitare on the PC all day, baby!!
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Three
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    I'm sending in my resumé now, considering this must be one of the easiest jobs in the world. You don't call plays, your head coach is an offensive guy who has his own system. Just what exactly would the Rams OC actually have to do? Solitare on the PC all day, baby!!
    I would hope you can find something better to do on the computer than Solitare Nick. LOL
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

AJD45 is offline Registered User

Hehe, good points. So why is such a cushy job going to this guy instead of his brother-in-law, a best friend, an ex-Ram, or somebody like that? Not that it's that big of a deal, just seems odd to me that he'd just up and pick this guy out of the blue with no obvious connection, and nobody's saying why.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Come on guys, don't be naive. The new OC will be responsible for coming up with a new offensive scheme for the Rams. I'm sure it was made clear to the new HC that concentrating only of the offense is not what he's been hired for. We don't want another Martz here. I'm hoping for a better manager of the team like Vermeil here. Let those who've you'd hired to do their job under direction of the head coach.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Hopefully Bulger will have some say so.Let him change protections and maybe the play a little bit in order to let it work.The OC and HC cant see what Bulgers seeing until after the fact.Give him some power over what happens,Like Hasslebeck,but maybe not quite as much as Manning.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

Totally agree psycho hopefully that will happen and they just dont listen but react to it ...