Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Greg Reid First To Arrive At Rams Volunteer Workouts

RebelYell is online now Registered User

Re: Greg Reid First To Arrive At Rams Volunteer Workouts

I see him as a 5th round talent. Just like most 5th rounders, he's a long shot but could be a terrific 4th CB.

If he's close to Austin as a punt returner he might get the job just to prevent Tavon from getting banged up.
    HUbison likes this.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User
    I know absolutely nothing about this kid but I always cringe when I see that a DB is under 5'10", especially so in today's NFL.
    HUbison likes this.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by Curly Horns View Post
    I know absolutely nothing about this kid but I always cringe when I see that a DB is under 5'10", especially so in today's NFL.
    Just for fun, check out Rod Perry and Pat Thomas' stats sometime. (Including their height).
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

RealRam is offline Registered User

"Chiquito pero picoso."

citr92 is offline Registered User

nickell robey says hi

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Darrell Green says to say HI!! All 5'-9" of him on his tiptoes ..
    citr92 likes this.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Our friends above have mentioned several shorter, yet successful, CBs in the NFL, but there's also the Tye Hill's of the world that don't pan out. If a sub-5'10" (maybe even sub-6'0" in this day and age) CB is going to make it, he has to bring something extra to the game. Hopefully, this kid does just that.
    Curly Horns likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    Just for fun, check out Rod Perry and Pat Thomas' stats sometime. (Including their height).
    look at the cover of sports illustrated depicting Stallworth pulling in the winning TD catch over Rod. If only he had one more inch!!!!

RebelYell is online now Registered User

Height means very little at CB in my opinion.
    citr92 likes this.

Rambos is online now Registered User

NFL.com Draft Prospect

Overview

Reid was a three-sport star, and five-star football recruit out of Lowndes County High School. In football he earned All-American honors from Parade Magazine, Under Armour, EA Sports and SuperPrep. Reid was also the MVP of Under Armour All-Star game after being named Atlanta Journal-Constitution All-Classes Georgia Player of the Year and AAAAA Georgia Player of the Decade. In his senior year Lowndes, he registered 28 tackles, nine interceptions, and a fumble recovery. Reid also rushed for 1,242 yards on 118 carries with 16 TDs and caught eight passes for 234 yards and two scores in addition to a combined 352 return yards on 19 touches.

In 2009, Reid played all 13 games as a true freshman...led the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision in punt returns with an 18.4 yard average. He intercepted two passes and broke up an additional six passes. The following year, Reid played in all 14 games and started as an outside corner. He intercepted three passes, and broke up 14 more. He also added three forced fumbles, and a punt return for a touchdown. Reid finished season by earning Chick-fil-A Bowl Defensive MVP after racking up five tackles, two forced fumbles and four pass breakups in the win over South Carolina. In 2011, Reid played in 11 games and started nine of them. He recorded 32 tackles, two interceptions, and five pass breakups. He also added his third career punt return for a touchdown in a game against Miami. In September of 2011, Reid was arrested for resisting arrest and perjury charges. The charges were eventually dropped, but in July of 2012, Reid was arrested for driving with a suspended license and possession of marijuana. He was dismissed from Florida State, and enrolled at Valdosta State. Unfortunately, before the season started, Reid tore his ACL and did not play.

Analysis

Strengths
    Electric returner. A threat to take the ball to the house any time he touches the football due to elusiveness and tremendous open-field vision. Shows good short area quickness and aggression. Fluid in his movements, and tracks the football well. Playmaker on the ball.

Weaknesses
    Lacks the adequate size and strength to play outside corner. Questionable instincts. Prone to getting beat and giving up big plays in man coverage. Still unrefined in his technique. Multiple off the field issues, and a knee injury.

NFL Comparison
    Javier Arenas

Bottom Line

Reid is a dynamic punt returner, and has the skill set to be an effective nickel corner. However, between multiple off the field issues which resulted in his dismissal from Florida State and an ACL tear this past season, there will be many questions for him to answer at the combine.
    Last edited by Rambos; -04-29-2014 at 12:00 PM.

chucknbob is online now Registered User

The more I find out about Greg, the more I like the signing. He may wind up being a huge steal if he works out. Let's face it, if he's a stellar special teams talent, he's worth the price we paid for him.

If he flounders, it's very low risk on the Rams part. I wish him luck, maybe he learned from his mistakes and can keep his nose (relatively) clean like Jenkins.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    look at the cover of sports illustrated depicting Stallworth pulling in the winning TD catch over Rod. If only he had one more inch!!!!
    didn't have to be height wise though...just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    Height means very little at CB in my opinion.
    If that's not an oxymoron then I'm worried. Especially with the overall size of today's receivers.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

If that's not an oxymoron then I'm worried. Especially with the overall size of today's receivers.
    Don't expect Reid to cover the likes of receivers over 6'3" or taller unless their route running is terrible. Right now, he's projected to be the #4 corner where he won't even see the field on defense unless dime packages are involved. Having a guy with killer instinct like will lay the hurt on smaller receivers.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

Quote Originally Posted by Flippin' Ram View Post

Don't expect Reid to cover the likes of receivers over 6'3" or taller unless their route running is terrible. Right now, he's projected to be the #4 corner where he won't even see the field on defense unless dime packages are involved. Having a guy with killer instinct like will lay the hurt on smaller receivers.
    I realize Reid will be down the depth chart and limited to packages "IF" he makes the roster.

We were talking in general on the size of DB's specifically some were talking in general about matchup CBs.

In today's game with the rules the way they are (defenseless receiver and all) an uncontrolled killer instinct can hurt the team as much as you could ever hope to intimidate.
    HUbison likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast