Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams

Thread: Greg Salas, pair of Rams offensive linemen earning increased practice squad salaries

thoey is offline Registered User

Greg Salas, pair of Rams offensive linemen earning increased practice squad salaries

By Brian McIntyre | Shutdown Corner – 21 hours ago.. .

Following the final roster cuts before the start of the 2012 regular season, the New England Patriots acquired wide receiver Greg Salas from the St. Louis Rams. The transaction made sense as the price to acquire Salas was cheap (late-round draft choice in 2015), the Patriots have the league's oldest receiving corps (average age of 29.9 years), and he caught 27 passes for 264 yards while playing for Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels as a fourth-round pick out of the University of Hawaii by the Rams in 2011.

Salas was inactive for the first two games of the regular season before he was waived by the Patriots to free up a roster spot for Deion Branch. Salas was re-signed to the practice squad on Sept. 20 at a rate of $8,800 per week ($149,600 over a full season), much higher than the $5,700 per week practice squad salary minimum. Two weeks later, the Patriots increased Salas' practice squad salary to the same $465,000 rate he had been earning while on the 53-man roster.

According to a source with knowledge of the situation, an undisclosed club attempted to sign Salas to their 53-man roster, prompting the Patriots to raise his salary.

Paying a practice squad player at an active roster rate is nothing new to the Patriots. At one point during the 2011 season nearly all of the players on the eight-man practice squad were being paid above the minimum, including current active roster center/guard Nick McDonald and current practice squad players Matt Kopa, Alex Silvestro and Malcolm Williams. This season, Kopa is earning $8,820 per week ($149,940 rate), the same rate that center/guard Thomas Austin had been earning prior to his release. Austin is currently on the Carolina Panthers' 53-man roster.

Rams Investing In Developmental Offensive Linemen

The Rams were not the team that attempted to poach Salas, but they are currently paying a pair of practice squad offensive linemen at an increased rate. Brandon Washington, a fifth-round pick out of the University of Miami by the Philadelphia Eagles, has been earning a practice squad rate of $9,500 per week ($161,500 over a full 17-week season) since joining the Rams in Week 1. The 6-foot-3, 320-pound Washington played left guard before moving to left tackle for the Hurricanes, but is viewed as a guard prospect at the NFL level.

In addition to Washington, the Rams are paying offensive tackle Ty Nsekhe at an increased rate. The 6-foot-8, 325-pound Nsekhe played his college ball at Texas State and had arena league stints with the Corpus Christi Sharks, Dallas Vigilantes, Philadelphia Soul and San Antonio Talons from 2009 to 2012 before he was signed by the Indianapolis Colts on Aug. 1. Nsekhe was waived by the Colts and claimed by the Rams and appeared in 15 snaps (eight on offense, seven on special teams) in two of the three games he on the 53-man roster before he was waived and re-signed to the practice squad.

When initially re-signed to the practice squad, the Rams began paying Nsekhe at the same $9,500 per week rate that Washington had been receiving, but that was quickly bumped up to $22,900 per week ($389,300 over a full season), $41.18 per week less than the 26-year-old had been earning on the 53-man roster. Several clubs had been interested in Nsekhe when the Rams waived him and increasing his rate should help keep him in Earth City.

Other Practice Squad Players Earning Increased Rates

Minnesota Vikings running back Jordan Todman - $10,000 per week ($170,000)
    New Orleans Saints wide receiver Andy Tanner - $7,000 per week ($119,000)
    New York Jets tight end Hayden Smith - $6,875 per week ($116,875)
    Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver B.J. Cunningham - $6,000 per week ($102,000)
    Seattle Seahawks quarterback Josh Portis - $6,700 per week ($113,900)

At the beginning of the season, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers had been paying defensive end Markus White at a practice squad rate of $299,999. White re-joined the Washington Redskins' 53-man roster (by doing so, White was guaranteed three game checks totaling $82,059) before he was released and rejoined the Buccaneers practice squad, where he spent four days before being elevated to their 53-man roster on Oct. 13. (White was waived on Thursday.)

As noted by Shutdown Corner this week, Baltimore Ravens inside linebacker Josh Bynes had been earning an increased salary while on the team's practice squad.

This space for rent...

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Re: Greg Salas, pair of Rams offensive linemen earning increased practice squad salar

Profootballweekly draft report on Brandon Washington:
    A big, raw, physically talented lineman who most definitely could have used another year of development. Disappointed at left tackle as a junior, but possesses starter-caliber size and athletic ability. Offers versatility to play right tackle or slide inside, although he will have to improve his core strength, play with more tenacity and learn how to finish. Could require patience and always leave a team wanting more. Compares favorably to Oakland Raiders 2011 third-round pick Joseph Barksdale.

Whatever that comparison looks like, the Rams must think it's attractive since they have both these guys. Since 1999 the Rams haven't found diamonds in the rough along the o-line. The way they are working with substandard talent this year and still winning some games, maybe that's changing a little. Maybe one or two of these guys could finally turn into a starter the way we'd hoped so many times before. From what I read on Washington, if he had stayed at guard and returned for a senior year, he might have been a 2nd round talent. He just didn't have LT skill sets.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Greg Salas, pair of Rams offensive linemen earning increased practice squad salar

I, like a few others, actually wanted the Rams to draft OG Brandon Washington in the 4th-6th round. When I seen us pass on him and take Rokevious I was a bit dissapointed, but I had full faith in the scouting department. I'm curious to see who's going to get the job next year.

THE DREAM TEAM

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    I, like a few others, actually wanted the Rams to draft OG Brandon Washington in the 4th-6th round. When I seen us pass on him and take Rokevious I was a bit dissapointed, but I had full faith in the scouting department. I'm curious to see who's going to get the job next year.
    Whoever we get, regardless if its through the draft, UDFA, or FA, i have full faith in our staff to coach them up. If they can get Hunter and Richardson to play at last average, then i have full faith in them. I for one thought them having to start was going to be an utter disaster. They arnt elite by any means, but we've gotten more out them then the chiefs or jets did, thats for sure, and i credit our coaches for that. If we got Warmack and an elite LT through FA(lik in your draft), we could have such an amazing line, and Bradford might not be one of the leading qb's in sacks. But even if we dont get either, i have faith in there decisions.

Like i said, if they can make Richardson and Hunter average, then they deserve a raise and our praise.

Now for Ojinaka....he just needs to flat out go. he blows chunks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    Whoever we get, regardless if its through the draft, UDFA, or FA, i have full faith in our staff to coach them up. If they can get Hunter and Richardson to play at last average, then i have full faith in them. I for one thought them having to start was going to be an utter disaster. They arnt elite by any means, but we've gotten more out them then the chiefs or jets did, thats for sure, and i credit our coaches for that. If we got Warmack and an elite LT through FA(lik in your draft), we could have such an amazing line, and Bradford might not be one of the leading qb's in sacks. But even if we dont get either, i have faith in there decisions.

Like i said, if they can make Richardson and Hunter average, then they deserve a raise and our praise.

Now for Ojinaka....he just needs to flat out go. he blows chunks.
    Agreed with all of this. But actually, I was surprised to find out (PFF) that Wayne Hunter and Barry Richardson are the 7th (Hunter) and 9th (Richardson) worst OT's in Pass pro. I thought they were doing a much better job, and it seemed so, but apparently not.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Agreed with all of this. But actually, I was surprised to find out (PFF) that Wayne Hunter and Barry Richardson are the 7th (Hunter) and 9th (Richardson) worst OT's in Pass pro. I thought they were doing a much better job, and it seemed so, but apparently not.
    Dang, i thought they were as well, that is suprising indeed. They really havent seemed to awful, nothing great ofc, but not as bad as they had been. Guess we still have some major work to do. Still playing better then before they arrived in STL lol, even if just a little.

Thanks for letting me know that, i never go to that site.

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    Dang, i thought they were as well, that is suprising indeed. They really havent seemed to awful, nothing great ofc, but not as bad as they had been. Guess we still have some major work to do. Still playing better then before they arrived in STL lol, even if just a little.

Thanks for letting me know that, i never go to that site.
    Yeah I was shocked too, but I love that site. Its the most down to the point get the right info stuff you'll find. And yeah, they are definitely playing better than they did before they came to STL. I just cant wait to get Saffold, Wells, and Amendola back after the bye!

THE DREAM TEAM

Yeah I was shocked too, but I love that site. Its the most down to the point get the right info stuff you'll find. And yeah, they are definitely playing better than they did before they came to STL. I just cant wait to get Saffold, Wells, and Amendola back after the bye!
    lol, i cant wait to get Wells, Saffold, Amendola and a new guard and tackle during the offseason. Hunter and Richardson would be great backups/fill ins for rest.

Whats the link to the site?

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

that's because our line was so awful last year that even playing mediocre looks like an improvement.

They have both given up a ton of pressure and we really need to either sign a guy like Clady or Long in the offseason or draft a real left tackle.

Drafting a top notch left tackle and moving Saffold to right tackle would be huge for our offense. I also would like to see us spend another mid rounder on a guard.

richtree is offline Registered User

Its funny that our line has gotten way better and we didn't draft anyone high and had significant injuries once again.

It is obvious that we are planning for the future and developing depth. <--This was the worst part of the last 3-5 years of the Rams.

and our defense is pretty sick now...

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    that's because our line was so awful last year that even playing mediocre looks like an improvement.

They have both given up a ton of pressure and we really need to either sign a guy like Clady or Long in the offseason or draft a real left tackle.

Drafting a top notch left tackle and moving Saffold to right tackle would be huge for our offense. I also would like to see us spend another mid rounder on a guard.
    There is a reason why we can't score in the red zone. The line is playing OK but not great. That being said after the bye week we will get the line we planned on having this year. The second half of the season will be the time to evaluate and get a clear picture of what we need.