Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Greg Salas traded to the Pats

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Greg Salas traded to the Pats

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    The coaches saw something we didn't and I think they know alittle more than we do.
    Good point. It's hard for me to question the merits of this move without knowledge of the circumstances. No decision maker is right every time, but Jeff Fisher is a pretty savy guy when it comes to pulling strings in the NFL. I'll reserve judgement before I get bent out of shape.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    How much did philly get from us for danny amendola I forgot?

If salas was going to be cut anyways getting anything out of him was a bonus. The coaches saw something we didn't and I think they know alittle more than we do.
    Obviously if he were going to be cut, then it all makes sense.

But I wasn't privy to that imformation, were you?

Could it also be that Fisher just wants all of his own players as quickly as possible? If that's the case, I stand by what I've said on the matter.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

My gut tells me that fans who are critical of this move may have been less critical if it wasn't a team like the Patriots, generally regarded as being savvy when it comes to personnel decisions, on the other end of the negotiation. The fact that New England sees something in Salas - or at least trusts Josh McDaniels enough to pull the trigger on this move - probably has some fans thinking twice about this.

But the reality is, if Salas fit in St. Louis' plans, he'd still be with the team. I don't think it's any coincidence that Howard Balzer reported yesterday that the Rams want to lock up Amendola to an extension at some point, meaning the slot job is likely going to be filled for the foreseeable future, which limits Salas' role on the team. I'm not happy to see his time come to an end, because I thought he flashed some ability last year, but better to get something than cut him and get nothing (assuming he was going to be cut at some point).

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Well I assume he was going to be cut, as it is doubtful the Rams would take draft choices for guys they want on their roster right now. Too little depth, and the Rams know it.

But even if he wasn't going to be cut, what would he trade value really be? Brandon Marshall, an established pro-bowl caliber WR, got two 2nd round picks. Salas is a 2nd year slot WR who showed a couple of flashes of promise before breaking his leg and then hasn't shown much this year so far. Does anyone think a team would trade anything of value for that?

I am willing to bet the few posters who are critical of this move would also be highly critical if the Rams had traded a roster a player for a similar type player. No one was going to give us a quality player for an unknown player coming off a serious injury who struggled in the pre-season.
    cfh128 likes this.

bradwill is offline Registered User

I don't think it's the return or lack of that is the concern, at least not with me. I question why trade him now when you can wait three weeks and then either deal him or cut him? Considering the WR corps right now and also the injury history with some of them, I think the timing was way premature. No, I didn't expect a starter in return for a Greg Salas at this point either. The return seems rather minimal and far off too, but I don't think Snead could have done much better elsewhere. I just don't think he had to move Salas at this point.
    RealRam likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Here is a question, how much playing time was Salas going to get if we kept him? Smith was a pro bowl receiver who is healthy and is our number one wide-out. This team is starving for a play-maker and Givens can take the top of the secondary. Amendola is healthy and has the slot locked up. Quick is the future a high second round draft pick. Pettis was drafted higher then Salas, a third round pick that can play outside and is a bigger target. Gibson has the most playing time with Bradford and there is a comfort level that Bradford has with Gibson.

If you watched the preseason Salas was not on the field until the scrubs where playing fourth quarter. We had a log jam at receiver.

All that being said I would not be shocked if we spend a first round pick next year on a big time receiver.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    You know, I'm getting really sick and tired of certain mods in here questioning our fan devotion, any question or comment that doesn't agree with them.
    And I'm tired of people who never stop complaining.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    I'm pretty sure everybody on this board has some knowledge of how the trade market works.

I just think most of us think it is not in the best interest of the Rams to give up this soon on Salas for a late round pick 3 years from now, considering the current status of our WRs.

And if we don't think it was a smart move now, we could be potentially looking at 2015, when Salas has replaced Welker, and established himself as the solid NFL receiver most of us (including you) thought he would be, and our compensation is an extra 5th, 6th, or 7th round pick.

Could look pretty embarrassing, if you ask me.
    You must be easily embarrassed. I don't care how he does on New England, though I doubt he'll be anything special.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    My gut tells me that fans who are critical of this move may have been less critical if it wasn't a team like the Patriots, generally regarded as being savvy when it comes to personnel decisions, on the other end of the negotiation. The fact that New England sees something in Salas - or at least trusts Josh McDaniels enough to pull the trigger on this move - probably has some fans thinking twice about this.

But the reality is, if Salas fit in St. Louis' plans, he'd still be with the team. I don't think it's any coincidence that Howard Balzer reported yesterday that the Rams want to lock up Amendola to an extension at some point, meaning the slot job is likely going to be filled for the foreseeable future, which limits Salas' role on the team. I'm not happy to see his time come to an end, because I thought he flashed some ability last year, but better to get something than cut him and get nothing (assuming he was going to be cut at some point).
    I agree regarding the sentiment towards New England. When a team is good year after year, one tends to think they're being fleeced- especially when your team has been terrible in recent years. Couple this with the lingering resentment from SuperBowl XXXVI, and you have fan criticism.

As far as Salas is concerned, this is yet another disheartening move in which we've unloaded a former high draft pick. The most distressing part is that many thought Salas was a guy who was getting better and better last season before his injury. I really don't know why you'd get rid of a guy like that after less than a year of service. Don't tell me "he didn't fit their system". That's a lot of baloney. If a guy is that good, you find a way to include his skill set into your offense. What Rams management is REALLY saying is either "the guy sucks" or "he's not my guy, so he's expendable". Either way, it's discouraging.
    RealRam likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I agree regarding the sentiment towards New England. When a team is good year after year, one tends to think they're being fleeced- especially when your team has been terrible in recent years. Couple this with the lingering resentment from SuperBowl XXXVI, and you have fan criticism.

As far as Salas is concerned, this is yet another disheartening move in which we've unloaded a former high draft pick. The most distressing part is that many thought Salas was a guy who was getting better and better last season before his injury. I really don't know why you'd get rid of a guy like that after less than a year of service. Don't tell me "he didn't fit their system". That's a lot of baloney. If a guy is that good, you find a way to include his skill set into your offense. What Rams management is REALLY saying is either "the guy sucks" or "he's not my guy, so he's expendable". Either way, it's discouraging.
    Not sure a 4th rounder is considered a high draft pick. He was getting better no doubt, that being said most fans wanted to draft Blackmon you included. As good as Salas is going to be he will never be a number one IMO. We already have one of the best Slot receivers in the league in Amendola. I don't think management is saying Salas sucks or your not my guy, it's more like we already have three point guards no need to carry another one.

As far as another draft picks not being here, well if the last regime could have won more then 2 games with their guys they might have been able to assure their picks staying on the roster.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Kudos to Rambos for anticipating this accurately.

I had been rooting for GS all along and though I do not entirely understand the logic behind the decision to release this WR to NE, yes, I do feel it was too soon, too convenient to the Patriots and too questionable for the Rams. My fan guess is that Salas could have continued to develop satisfactorily with us.

PS: Note that I said my "fan guess", okay? It's just my lowly, humble opinion but I thus support those here that have the same inclination.

Rambos and NJ Ramsfan1 like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Im not weary of the fact that he got traded for peanuts. What did you guys expect? A 2nd round pick? Of course not. Its the fact that we kept Brandon Gibson. I would MUCH rather have Salas as that WR.

I will bet it right now that Salas will be great when he takes over for Welker. This is why the Patriots will be the best team in football until Belicheck and Brady leave.
    berg8309 likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

cfh128 is offline Registered User

I'm not getting the uproar here. Greg Salas had a couple good games for us last year in McDaniels offense and that is the extent of his career. Aside from injury concerns and the fact that he didn't seem to fit in our new offense, he was outplayed by every single receiver on the roster. He was a McDaniels draft pick, now they are reunited and I'm glad we got anything for him. He obviously wasnt in the works for us. And frankly I'm not sure what the big deal is about losing the 5th or 6th wideout in an offense thats sure to live and die by the run game.

And Murphy? What the heck did he EVER do? Shouldn't we be happy when guys who are nothing but filler are replaced by guys who might contribute?
    Rambos, live4ramin, Rammed and 1 others like this.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Just curious; how long will it be before we're allowed to question any decisions made by the Fisher/Snead/Demoff regime without being labelled naive or ignorant or worse ? Same stuff was often used to defend DeSpags by me & others but I'd like to think I usually had something more to offer as clues as to why a decision might have been made than anyone has argued in this instance.

Usually I'm down with giving the pros the benefit of the doubt( there's far more info that goes into this than we are privy to) but with the leeway that Pettis' suspension gave them ,the pretty decent potential Salas showed last year, and the need for trades to shore up this year's roster, why not wait & see who needs someone 2-3 weeks in ? Maybe even The Rams themselves. I don't get it; finally depth at a position & we gave it away.I don't even see the numbers downside with some pretty iffy players all over the roster who seem just as expendable to the naked fan eye, especially historical live-fire performance-wise).

And Amendola's coming off a serious arm injury & isn't the biggest guy, Smith is coming off injury, no idea what we really have in Givens or Quick, & Pettis disappeared for long periods last year as did Gibson. Not sayin' Salas is definitively equal or better than any of them but I don't see the evidence that Salas failed or was given the same quality reps at different spots as the rest.I don't see how the team got better by losing another guy with question marks but pretty tangible potential.

And with all due respect to Gap & his quest for justice, it was the Pats rep for being the Borg of the league that makes me one of those who is all the more leery of trusting blindly in the new regime on this one, not an example of reflexive Patophobia. Not that I'm not a proud Patophobe like any civilized Ram fan. Send them Ojinnaka for a pick & I'll dance a jig but this is dubious business on the face of it; heckuva lot more upside for The Pats, not to mention Salas, than The Rams .The fact that I wouldn't give The Pats the steam off my precious bodily fluids if they were all dying in the desert has nothing to do with it.

Why not showcase him a bit in pre-season in the slot,boost his value,for that matter, if you know he doesn't fit your plans or hasn't been able to make the transition to working outside which we heard he'd been asked to do & is the only publicly known football-istic reason I could come up with for what you have to admit is a mysterious situation. Can't bring myself to wish Salas to fail but I'll admit to some relief if he does. And I'll be seriously peeved if he succeeds.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -09-02-2012 at 06:02 AM.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Im a little disappointed to see Salas go to the Patriots, of all teams. I was hoping for Salas to give Amendola a run for his money in the slot position this season. But, obviously the coaches and Danny had other ideas. This is mainly because I prefer the type of receivers, who can make the all important yards after the catch in games. This is hardly what I'd call a big deal though. At the end of the day the Rams FO should expect to have better WR's on the roster than the Greg Salas's of this world. Especially on the outside position, and the inside for that matter. The Rams can and will do better in the future, finding bigger, quicker WR's for our roster. It's only a matter of time Rams fans.!
    Rambos likes this.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast