Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Greg Salas traded to the Pats

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: Greg Salas traded to the Pats

Let's see:
    He has been outplayed by Amendola, Smith, Pettis and Gibson in preseason.
    Quick and Givens are developing draft picks.

That's 6 WRs ahead of Salas. So you say wait til Pettis comes back, but who would trade for him then when teams have their WR corps set? Better to get anything for him now I think
    Rambos and ManofGod like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Let's see:
    He has been outplayed by Amendola, Smith, Pettis and Gibson in preseason.
    Quick and Givens are developing draft picks.

That's 6 WRs ahead of Salas. So you say wait til Pettis comes back, but who would trade for him then when teams have their WR corps set? Better to get anything for him now I think
    Gibson out played him? He has been injured for 2 and a half weeks, and had 1 catch this last game. I don't think he outplayed anybody. Not to mention Salas showed me more last year than Gibson has in 4.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

we should have atleast waited till Pettis is back if that was the best we could have got for him now. wait till the first wave of injuries come and we i`m pretty sure would have got more than a late round pick in 3 years time when we might have a different regime in place.
    also with us playing our home games on what i can a murder mat,i`d be very pleasantly surprised if we don`t lose someone at the WR position by the time Pettis can play for us.
    i don`t know about the relationship between Fisher/Snead and Belichick but it seems like we have done them a big favour with this trade. waiting 3 years for a late pick when pretty much annually the Pats end up with having a treasure chest full of picks.

Judaxi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Gibson out played him? He has been injured for 2 and a half weeks, and had 1 catch this last game. I don't think he outplayed anybody. Not to mention Salas showed me more last year than Gibson has in 4.
    Gibson has had 2 catches for 28 yards, Salas had 3 for 14. The difference is Gibson even with his injuries has looked better in camp than Salas.

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

We need to hope that Gibson doesn't get hurt again and ends up on the sideline.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Just curious; how long will it be before we're allowed to question any decisions made by the Fisher/Snead/Demoff regime without being labelled naive or ignorant or worse ? Same stuff was often used to defend DeSpags by me & others but I'd like to think I usually had something more to offer as clues as to why a decision might have been made than anyone has argued in this instance.
    I have no problem with people questioning the front office or coaches. The problem is that some people do nothing but whine about everything they do.

In the end, Salas is a fringe player, so who cares?

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Perhaps the Pats were the only team willing to deal anything for him, since McD was the one who drafted him.

If Salas does become fairly good, I still won't lament the trade. There is nothing to suggest he'd have success here. I think he showed some promise, and I do kind of wish we hadn't given up on him so quickly, but at the same time, we can only keep so many WRs. It's the nature of football. I'm sure the Eagles wish they hadn't kept Amendola as just practice squad fodder now, but at the same time, maybe he wouldn't have succeeded in Philly under Reid.

Is the new regime flawless? No, some picks won't pan out, it's again the nature of football and drafts. I won't lose much sleep over this one though. Given what the Rams took, I am fairly certain they were cutting him. Good luck Mr. Salas!
    Rambos, Tampa_Ram and ManofGod like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    Perhaps the Pats were the only team willing to deal anything for him, since McD was the one who drafted him.

If Salas does become fairly good, I still won't lament the trade. There is nothing to suggest he'd have success here. I think he showed some promise, and I do kind of wish we hadn't given up on him so quickly, but at the same time, we can only keep so many WRs. It's the nature of football. I'm sure the Eagles wish they hadn't kept Amendola as just practice squad fodder now, but at the same time, maybe he wouldn't have succeeded in Philly under Reid.

Is the new regime flawless? No, some picks won't pan out, it's again the nature of football and drafts. I won't lose much sleep over this one though. Given what the Rams took, I am fairly certain they were cutting him. Good luck Mr. Salas!
    This is true, but a good football player will make plays. The only reason Salas was in the doghouse here was because of the health of Amendola. He never even got a chance in the slot, which is naturally his best position. Last year at this time many of us were wondering whether Salas would actually be the starter. Some even were willing to rid of Amendola for the Patriots #2 Pick and have Salas man the slot full time.

Im dissapointed that we parted so quickly.

THE DREAM TEAM

Rambos is offline Registered User

The moves of the past have us at rock bottom. I would be willing to take a wild guess and say the genius moves of the last Owner(s), GM and Head coaches had more impact on where we are today then this new regime off season moves this year.

On March 15, 2007 Curtis signed a 6-year, $32 million deal with the Philadelphia Eagle

Mean while back at the ranch...Rams park.

Mar 3, 2007 – St. Louis Rams: The Rams filled a potential void if wide receiver Kevin Curtis leaves by signing Drew Bennett to a six-year, $30 million contract.

2008 draft, the Rams went for Houston wide receiver Donnie Avery at the top of the second round instead of Cal's DeSean Jackson.

Sep 3, 2011 - The St. Louis Rams cut former number-one Donnie Avery Saturday in what appeared to be a roster crunch, keeping bubble receiver Danario Alexander and special-teamer Dominique Curry around in his place.

St. Louis Rams‎: On April 26, 2009, Foster was drafted in the fifth round by the St. Louis Rams.

Aug 25, 2010 – The New York Jets have claimed wide receiver Brooks Foster off waivers from the St. Louis Rams

Jul 29, 2011 – The St. Louis Rams signed free agent WR Mike Sims-Walker

Oct 17, 2011 – Rams have released WR Mike Sims-Walker.

No one knows if this new Owners, GM and Head will continue this cycle of wasted draft picks and bad acquisitions. Only time will tell, Fisher has been doing this a lot longer then all three of our last head coaches combined. Fisher had Bennett, he did not pay him $30 million to stay with the Titans. At least Fisher and Les got something for Salas and Gordy. They did not just cut them with out trying to move them first. Sure they are late picks, but GZ and Richardson are looking decent right about now, better then nothing.

I really don't understand whats wrong with having some positive vibes that these guys can turn it around. It's almost as if some want us to continue to lose. Man if we removed our 1999-2004 run this franchise would be the biggest joke going, if it's not there already.

Enough of the loser attitudes, I know these are some tough times in the real world, but come on guys! Have some faith!

Go Rams!
    RealRam likes this.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Gibson had one catch, Salas had none. I haven't seen anything from Salas this year to suggest he is ahead of anyone.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    The moves of the past have us at rock bottom.
    In most respects, yes. But the moves of the past also brought Sam Bradford, James Laurinaitis, Chris Long, Robert Quinn, Rodger Saffold, Harvey Dahl, Lance Kendricks, and Danny Amendola to this team. Previous regimes did put the Rams in a deep hole, but they also did help bring in some building blocks that most fans look towards as being positive pieces of a rebuilding unit.
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I don't care how he does on New England.
    Then perhaps it's you, that doesn't know how the trade market works.

The whole premise of why most people make a trade, is to hopefully get better value in return.

If you don't care how he does, then why not throw in Steven Jackson and Chris Long?

Of course you care, you just won't admit it.

While Salas is making a name for himself for 3 years, and likely playing a prominent role on a team that'll be competing for Superbowls in each of those years, we'll be sitting around with nothing to show for it.

Most of us believe Salas' value to the Rams to be much higher than a late round pick, 3 years from now. It's as simple as that.

And in spite of the position you've taken, I believe you're secretly right there with us. Although you often take the, "Well if the coach did it, then it must be good. They know more than we do, approach." As if they've never made a mistake, and never gotten fired as a consequnce of their mistakes.

This is simply a case of Jeff Fisher wanting his own players as quickly as possible, IMO. It is certainly no indictment of Greg Salas' lack of skill, ability to learn the offense or production.
    RealRam, RockinRam and sosa39rams like this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    In most respects, yes. But the moves of the past also brought Sam Bradford, James Laurinaitis, Chris Long, Robert Quinn, Rodger Saffold, Harvey Dahl, Lance Kendricks, and Danny Amendola to this team. Previous regimes did put the Rams in a deep hole, but they also did help bring in some building blocks that most fans look towards as being positive pieces of a rebuilding unit.
    I agree their losing records brought in some talent no doubt. Enough to land Fisher thank god they got something right.

Nick, I'm not being a smart a$$ here, but a brutal 1-15 record should get you a franchise QB. A record of 3-13 record should land you a franchise DE. The results from the moves from the past are not how we want to build the team, with high draft picks from poor business decisions, that make every Sunday filled with heart break and heart burn.

We just finished off a nice run where we set a league record for most losses (65) in a five-year span. I don't know about you but it is time to change things and Fisher is what is needed. Maybe some just don't like Fisher IDK. He has yet to complete one year, heck he has yet to play one real game and it's doom and gloom.

It's not just Fisher, lets look at the new Owner. Stan Kroenke, IDK but I think he is a far better business person then say Georgia and her kids. This team has had no real direction in decades and it shows in the way we lose and in the way we win. We can't even win without it imploding and becoming a circus.

Stan had one year and said enough is enough and brought in a real head coach and a new direction, that's got to be more encouraging then five more years of what we just experienced right?
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-02-2012 at 12:00 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus
    Salas is worth minimal compensation. That's what the Rams received. Stop whining.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Salas was a possession receiver. We have enough of those types of wideouts. Good luck to him.
    Rambos and ManofGod like this.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast