Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 95
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Greg Salas traded to the Pats

  1. #76
    NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    2,192
    Rep Power
    69

    Re: Greg Salas traded to the Pats

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    We freak out over trading away a backup OT for another backup OT. We freak out over trading away the #7 WR for a future draft pick.

    All we have to do to develop our players is to trade them away; because apparently, at that point, they become All-Pro 1st ballot Hall-of-Famers.

    My gosh, do we need some actual football around here, or what?
    Yeah, this first game can't come soon enough.

    Surely, most of us aren't foolish enough to think that Greg Salas and Jason Smith were irreplaceable keys to the 2012 Rams. But my take is that in order to develop players, you have to keep them around! Salas was a guy we thought might be a good complimentary player. He really only had half a season before an injury sidelined him. Jason Smith is a bit different, but he WAS a #2 pick, and thought maybe he was deserving of this season to show last year was an aberration due to his concussion.

    And Gholston was brought in here for 4 days before being shown the door. Why bring him in at all? Surely other guys on the roster could have carried out the water jugs....


  2. #77
    Azul e Oro is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    CALIFORNIA
    Posts
    2,331
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: Greg Salas traded to the Pats

    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I have no problem with people questioning the front office or coaches. The problem is that some people do nothing but whine about everything they do.

    In the end, Salas is a fringe player, so who cares?
    That general position on negativity certainly has some validity to it, AV, but I don't think trying to sift through the evidence as available to fans on the specifics of WHY Salas became a fringe player to this regime & got traded at this particular moment is a good example of it.


    And when a trade involves possibly signifcant upside for a hated rival, I'm willing to give fans a little license to be pissy about the chance it was a mistake.
    macrammer likes this.

  3. #78
    MauiRam's Avatar
    MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Maui, Hi.
    Age
    70
    Posts
    4,766
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: Greg Salas traded to the Pats

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post

    And Gholston was brought in here for 4 days before being shown the door. Why bring him in at all? Surely other guys on the roster could have carried out the water jugs....
    That's easy! Jeff saw an opportunity to bolster our O-lines' confidence by proving that just because a defensive lineman has huge muscles, it doesn't guarantee he'll be fearsome ..
    Tampa_Ram and NJ Ramsfan1 like this.

  4. #79
    berg8309's Avatar
    berg8309 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,896
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: Greg Salas traded to the Pats

    Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    This is true, but a good football player will make plays. The only reason Salas was in the doghouse here was because of the health of Amendola. He never even got a chance in the slot, which is naturally his best position. Last year at this time many of us were wondering whether Salas would actually be the starter. Some even were willing to rid of Amendola for the Patriots #2 Pick and have Salas man the slot full time.

    Im dissapointed that we parted so quickly.
    There is a certain contingent of fans on this message board who seem to think Amendola will be shown the door on a weekly basis (ok, not weekly, but the past two off-seasons he has been predicted by some posters as not making the final cut for the team out of pre-season). Just because some people believed Salas would supplant Amendola doesn't make it true. Nor does it make him better than Amendola. And some fans were willing to take the Pats 2nd for Amendola, but clearly the Rams were not. These are the same fans who believed that Amendola would be cut in favor of Salas, even though Salas did not replicate Amendola's success prior to going down with a leg injury for the season himself.

    Granted Salas has only played 6 games in the NFL, but he didn't show in his 6 games that he could be one of the best slot WRs in the game. Amendola has shown that he can. And Amendola is a few years yet from 30, so it's not as if he is long in the tooth and we needed his replacement on the roster. You don't dump a guy like Amendola to keep a Salas.
    Ramendola16 likes this.

  5. #80
    tomahawk247's Avatar
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,643
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: Greg Salas traded to the Pats

    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    And Gholston was brought in here for 4 days before being shown the door. Why bring him in at all? Surely other guys on the roster could have carried out the water jugs....
    Because of injuries we were short at DE for our last preseason game, hence why Gholston was bought in

  6. #81
    Tampa_Ram's Avatar
    Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bat Yam, Israel
    Age
    29
    Posts
    1,951
    Rep Power
    29

    Re: Greg Salas traded to the Pats

    Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    Granted Salas has only played 6 games in the NFL, but he didn't show in his 6 games that he could be one of the best slot WRs in the game. Amendola has shown that he can. And Amendola is a few years yet from 30, so it's not as if he is long in the tooth and we needed his replacement on the roster. You don't dump a guy like Amendola to keep a Salas.
    I was never one for Amendola getting cut for anyone, let alone Salas. but..

    You say Salas played in only 6 games and didn't show enough to be one of the best slot wr's. Amendola didn't show that either in his first 2 years as he was was on practice squads for both the cowpokes and the eagles in 09' and 10'. In a year or two it is possible Salas might be Welkers replacement and excell. He might not also. Now im not advicating Salas would eventually be better, but i think it was to early personally, to give up on him on from the basis you point out. I know we didnt need a replacement, as amendola has proved hes is perfect for us, but i just dont agree(respectfully of course) that his first 6 games in the nfl with no offseason should be a bases for wanting considering him expendable, especially because of Amendola's practice squad first years.

    Fisher and Snead know best(hopefully), but i still wish we kept him. People say we got Steve Smith now and so forth, but we are using him on the outside, so if Amendola goes down and Smith fills that roll, then who replaces Smith on the outside? Someone even more unproven then Salas.

    I love Danny, but having a solid back up who can back up on the outside woulda been nice as well.

    I never understood the people wanting Amendola gone. just my personal opinion on all this. I see your point, but i feel diffrently on the basis.


  7. #82
    berg8309's Avatar
    berg8309 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,896
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: Greg Salas traded to the Pats

    Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    I was never one for Amendola getting cut for anyone, let alone Salas. but..

    You say Salas played in only 6 games and didn't show enough to be one of the best slot wr's. Amendola didn't show that either in his first 2 years as he was was on practice squads for both the cowpokes and the eagles in 09' and 10'. In a year or two it is possible Salas might be Welkers replacement and excell. He might not also. Now im not advicating Salas would eventually be better, but i think it was to early personally, to give up on him on from the basis you point out. I know we didnt need a replacement, as amendola has proved hes is perfect for us, but i just dont agree(respectfully of course) that his first 6 games in the nfl with no offseason should be a bases for wanting considering him expendable, especially because of Amendola's practice squad first years.

    Fisher and Snead know best(hopefully), but i still wish we kept him. People say we got Steve Smith now and so forth, but we are using him on the outside, so if Amendola goes down and Smith fills that roll, then who replaces Smith on the outside? Someone even more unproven then Salas.

    I love Danny, but having a solid back up who can back up on the outside woulda been nice as well.

    I never understood the people wanting Amendola gone. just my personal opinion on all this. I see your point, but i feel diffrently on the basis.
    Well, from the Rams perspective, Steve Smith is also capable of playing slot, and Pettis may be able to as well. You only need so many backups. You can't just hang on to every guy with a modicum of potential and wait to see if he pans out.

    Now you say, what if Amendola goes down and Smith has to move inside, who replaced Smith on the outside. We have Gibson/Smith/Quick/Pettis/Givens for the outside. Smith and Pettis should be able to play slot as well if Amendola gets hurt.

    And I stand by my statement that Salas hasn't shown enough to be worth putting up a fuss about. Sure, neither did Amendola early in his career. Donnie Avery showed more to start his career, and look how he panned out. You can point to guys in both directions. The point wasn't to compare Salas to Amendola. The point was, and I do think you got this, that you don't give up a young proven talent to hang on to a different young unproven talent who truthfully didn't even show that much last year. A couple of nice snags, a few drops, and as many fumbles in 6 games as Amendola has in 31.

    I just think people are getting too bent out of shape about this. Like we just gave up the next great slot WR. We HAVE a great slot WR, his name is Danny Amendola. He is awesome. We also have backups for Amendola, and my guess is we decided to hang on to guys (Pettis, Smith) who have more versatility to play both outside and the slot than Salas had.

  8. #83
    berg8309's Avatar
    berg8309 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,896
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: Greg Salas traded to the Pats

    Oh, and I need to clarify, I know that some posters are more upset about the return/fact he is on the Patriots, but I stand by my previous statements that Salas just wasn't worth very much in a trade. Players are almost always worth very little in draft pick compensation, and if a pro bowl caliber WR can't get higher than 2nd rounders, than idk what anyone expected for Salas.
    Rammed likes this.

  9. #84
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8,204
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: Greg Salas traded to the Pats

    In a way it is nice to see all this attention towards a thread about Salas leaving / leaving to NE, etc.

    I think that for the most part, i.e., the prevailing tenor here is that WE CARE (or, did care) about this particular receiver by virtue of his potential, youth, and so on. He may not have been a 'promising' player necessarily but he was most likely on his way to fit in the Rams offense with an above-average qualification, I would say.

    To me, I reiterate, it did seem too soon a departure move made by the Rams. Sure, there certainly and definitely is the possibility that eventually ... we'll be okay with the resulting change -- the incoming WR that will take Salas' place on the roster -- but for now seeing him in a Patriots uniform kind of hits a sour note.

    But again, this much reaction about GS leaving proves WE CARE. And I'm glad we do.

    Best wishes to Salas.
    Last edited by RealRam; -09-03-2012 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Best wishes
    Fortuninerhater and berg8309 like this.

  10. #85
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,532
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: Greg Salas traded to the Pats

    Quote Originally Posted by Sosa
    Some even were willing to rid of Amendola for the Patriots #2 Pick and have Salas man the slot full time.
    I guessed I missed that offer. When did the Patriots offer their #2 pick for Amendola?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  11. #86
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,532
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: Greg Salas traded to the Pats

    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey
    Surely, most of us aren't foolish enough to think that Greg Salas and Jason Smith were irreplaceable keys to the 2012 Rams.
    True; most aren't. But that's why it's called the vocal minority. There's only a few of them, but they're quite loquacious.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  12. #87
    RockinRam's Avatar
    RockinRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    4,074
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: Greg Salas traded to the Pats

    To develop players you have to keep them around long enough for them to have time to get acclimated to a new system and the players they are playing with.

    Salas had the potential to develop into something that is worth more than a late round pick in 2015.
    Fortuninerhater likes this.

  13. #88
    sjacksonrules's Avatar
    sjacksonrules is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    southern il
    Posts
    1,450
    Rep Power
    29

    Re: Greg Salas traded to the Pats

    Wow six pages?



    Truth is guys he may even be cut by the pats we don't even know.

    The guy had potential. BUT did he have more potential than Givens, Pettis, or Quick? There are three young guys right there not to mention Amendola isn't that old. Thats 4 guys with potential. You can only have so many wide outs on the field at one time. We see we had to many horses in the stable. You guys are freaking out because he had potential but I dont think Salas is better than Quick, Givens, and Pettis then you add in Amendola and Smith then we have a full roster.

  14. #89
    Fortuninerhater's Avatar
    Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    L.A., Ca.
    Posts
    2,593
    Rep Power
    37

    Re: Greg Salas traded to the Pats

    Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    Wow six pages?



    Truth is guys he may even be cut by the pats we don't even know.

    The guy had potential. BUT did he have more potential than Givens, Pettis, or Quick? There are three young guys right there not to mention Amendola isn't that old. Thats 4 guys with potential. You can only have so many wide outs on the field at one time. We see we had to many horses in the stable. You guys are freaking out because he had potential but I dont think Salas is better than Quick, Givens, and Pettis then you add in Amendola and Smith then we have a full roster.
    Funny how you conveniently gloss over Brandon Gibson, who many of us believe should've been the one traded in the first place.

  15. #90
    sjacksonrules's Avatar
    sjacksonrules is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    southern il
    Posts
    1,450
    Rep Power
    29

    Re: Greg Salas traded to the Pats

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Funny how you conveniently gloss over Brandon Gibson, who many of us believe should've been the one traded in the first place.
    I'm not a big fan of gibson and I believe he will be cut when pettis comes back. Thats why I skipped over him.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: -09-16-2011, 11:53 AM
  2. Rookie Profile: Greg Salas
    By r8rh8rmike in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: -06-16-2011, 10:15 AM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last Post: -05-31-2011, 07:01 PM
  4. Replies: 65
    Last Post: -05-07-2011, 01:12 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: -11-07-2004, 07:02 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •