Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Greg Zuerlien?

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Greg Zuerlien?

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    . The concern over GZ's consistency is much ado about nothing. His total hit percentage is not a factor of his consistency, but rather more being asked of him than any other kicker in the league.
    Well stated Hub! He should be even better this year!

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

i heard his mom or girlfriend washed his lucky socks after week 5. so all the legatron power was washed away by a cap ful of Tide.

Not to worry, he's discussed this with his support staff at home, and will be ensure his lucky socks make it thru 2013 without being washed. We're good.
    10m39s80i81t likes this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

The concern over GZ's consistency is much ado about nothing. His total hit percentage is not a factor of his consistency, but rather more being asked of him than any other kicker in the league.
    Who knows, maybe the Rams are perfectly happy with 50% from 50+. It will be interesting to see if his high number of attempts over 50 yards continue if he stays around that 50% mark.

That said, I think GZ is special, and has the ability to be the best kicker in the league. I also think it's just a matter of time before he breaks the all-time distance record.
    Curly Horns and THOLTFAN81 like this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post

That said, I think GZ is special, and has the ability to be the best kicker in the league. I also think it's just a matter of time before he breaks the all-time distance record.
    I predict he will do that this year!!!!
    Curly Horns likes this.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Who knows, maybe the Rams are perfectly happy with 50% from 50+. It will be interesting to see if his high number of attempts over 50 yards continue if he stays around that 50% mark.

I doubt they are perfectly happy with 50% from 50+.

Hopefully the offense will be improved enough with the addition of cook over the middle (vs the oft injured danny boy) and GZ will not be in those situations as much. Field position is a big key. To me, it makes no sense to continually send a guy out there at 50+ if he can't convert with greater than 50%. I'd just as soon they use Hecker to pin them deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Horns View Post

Hopefully the offense will be improved enough with the addition of cook over the middle (vs the oft injured danny boy) and GZ will not be in those situations as much. Field position is a big key. To me, it makes no sense to continually send a guy out there at 50+ if he can't convert with greater than 50%. I'd just as soon they use Hecker to pin them deep.
    I agree. I don't think a 50% rate is worth the risk of giving up serious field position. If GZ can't improve that percentage, I see his 50+ attempts going down.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Horns View Post

I would not hesitate to send him out to kick 50 plus. Thanks to GZs 54-yard field goal we beat the whiners. He also sent the game into OT as time expired with a 53-yarder.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Go BIG ZEEEEEE!

Sure hope this young man regains his confidence to go 55 and beyond. One can almost hear his intimate thoughts about 60+ ... but I agree, it is better to make 66% of FGs beyond 50 yards than to make five of those long range FGs out of too many attempts missed.

Ohhh, AND THAT FG RECORD!

Curly Horns is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post

I would not hesitate to send him out to kick 50 plus. Thanks to GZs 54-yard field goal we beat the whiners. He also sent the game into OT as time expired with a 53-yarder.
    Certainly he has the talent we've all seen the flashes. He just lacks some consistency at those distances.

But it's great that you would not hesitate and it speaks volumes about your confidence in him. And Confidence is just one element that shows that the consistency from 50+ is much ado about more than nothing. Confidence from Fisher, GZ, and the entire team are factors. As I mentioned previously you also have field position to consider. There is also the momentum factor which is huge in this league.

Along with consistency, these are some of the key elements that go into the decision making on whether to send the kid out there at 50+.

I think these guys are paid to make these kicks. Sure the distances are long and the pressure is immense but is it really any different than other positions in this league? The windows get tighter for the QB. For the receivers the passes get more difficult to catch. The holes get smaller for the backs. The receivers are harder to cover. Blocking and tackling all become more difficult at this level.

I don't know, maybe its just me and maybe I'm off base but I think consistency, at any position and situation in this league is a little bit more than much ado about nothing.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Curly, I wonder then. Is consistency borne from confidence? Or is it the other way around?

At any rate, I sure hope Zuerlein returns to form and function, whatever the FG distance!

"AND IT'S GOOOOOD!"

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Curly
    He just lacks some consistency at those distances.
    Again, I'm not sure we can say he lacks consistency when viewed with the rest of the league. It's more exact to say his consistency from 50+ was average last year. The 2 pro bowl kickers blew the curve on this stat. Dawson and Walsh were a combined 17 for 17 from 50+ last year. Simply amazing. But the rest of the league was 75 for 135 from that distance. A mere 55%. Zuerlein was 54% from that distance.

Would I like to him hit more from 50+? Of course I would. I want him to hit every time he puts a foot on the ball. However, consistency from 50+ can not be called a weakness when he is on par with the rest of the league.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Again, I'm not sure we can say he lacks consistency when viewed with the rest of the league. It's more exact to say his consistency from 50+ was average last year. The 2 pro bowl kickers blew the curve on this stat. Dawson and Walsh were a combined 17 for 17 from 50+ last year. Simply amazing. But the rest of the league was 75 for 135 from that distance. A mere 55%. Zuerlein was 54% from that distance.

Would I like to him hit more from 50+? Of course I would. I want him to hit every time he puts a foot on the ball. However, consistency from 50+ can not be called a weakness when he is on par with the rest of the league.
    I agree 100%. How about the pressure factor on these bombs he's kicking. He made two back to back 50 plus kicks with the game on the line. One to send the game to overtime and the other to win it vs the whiners.

50% from plus 50 really is not the whole story. He was 7 of 13 from plus 50 which is slightly better the 50% but one of the kicks he missed was a desperation 66 yard kick!

IMO he had one bad game. Miami he was 2 of 5 and one of those he missed was the 66 yarder attempt. He missed a 37-yarder and that was after he made the first two that give us a 6-0 lead.

I hope we don't settle for as many FG attempts this year but he has been clutch IMO, just ask any Hawk fan after the first game they played us.

Zuerlein kicked four field goals Sunday, making him 12 for 12 overall, leading the way in a 19-13 victory over the Seattle Seahawks.
    Greg Zuerlein, who set a franchise record with a 58-yard field goal and then topped himself with a 60-yarder!
    ''I was on the headsets and I said, 'Field goal,' and somebody said 'Field goal?''' coach Jeff Fisher said of the second record-breaker. ''I said, 'Yeah, it's only 60. It's well within his range.'''

He was key for us to beat both the Hawks and the Whiners.

Fisher trust him and he also trust his defense can stop anybody if he misses!
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-05-2013 at 12:04 PM.
    TekeRam likes this.

I think the equalizer here is number of attempts. I've got to believe when you have your kicker attempt 42% of his kicks from 50+, the expectation is that he will make them (see Fisher quote above), as opposed to tossing a coin and hoping the ball goes through the uprights. A huge part of strategy is field position, and I'm not sure the Rams will continue to risk it at anywhere near that 42% attempt rate if GZ remains a 50/50 proposition from 50+.

It's clear the Rams have confidence in GZ's ability to hit long FG's in any situation, and it will be interesting to see if that confidence translates to a continued high number of attempts, even if the success rate is 50%.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

All I want is for Legatron to hit every field goal attempt within 55 yards. Is that too much to ask?

GZ is Jimmy Chitwood "Ill make it."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast