Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By C-Mob 71
  • 1 Post By rammiser
  • 1 Post By Rambos

Thread: Gregg Williams defense against the Rams in SB

Rambos is offline Registered User

Gregg Williams defense against the Rams in SB

Lets go back to the super bowl and before anyone knew what Williams was doing with the Saints.

Gregg Williams, who coached alongside Fisher with the Titans from 1994-2000. During that run we played them in the super bowl as we all know. I have watched the highlights so many times, when the news broke about bounty gate the first thing that came into my mind was the sideline audio in the super bowl. The Titans defense was really getting after Warner. They where hitting him early and often. I later read that Warner was hurt so bad they did not know if he was going to play in the second half and during halftime he just laid there trying to deal with the pain in his rib cage.

Look at this video, if you want go right to the 3:00 minute mark... this is where the concern from DV as to how Warner is getting hit. On the Titans sideline the coaches are praising the defense for the FOUR HITS they just put on Warner and they need to HIT HIM FOUR TIMES THAT! This is football to me the coaches are not saying sack Warner, tackle Warner, they are saying HIT Warner. Why do they want to hit him and not just tackle him? They want him out of the game! That's football, They are going after our QB we are trying to make them pay for blitzing and playing man on man.

My question is this crossing the line? Should a coach tell a player to go out and HIT a player or should he just tell them go out and make a play?

Last edited by Rambos; -04-08-2012 at 04:04 PM.

Re: Gregg Williams defense against the Rams in SB

Just another note: The NFL put this out, this is NFL films... why didn't the NFL not ask the Titans... what the hell are you guys telling your players to do out there? The coaching on the sideline does not sound like coaching on scheme other then go out and HIT the QB.

My take on this all sidelines around NFL sound just like this.. and the NFL knows it.

Bing69 is offline Registered User

I think everyone knows by now that the NFL is a physical game. You will never hear a caoch tell a player 'listen, i want you to tackle him, but dont hit him too hard, because he might get injured, just put your arms around him and gently bring him to the ground'. If people are afraid of big hits then go play flag football!! This is getting ridiculous, of course coaches want their players to hit hard, but its a big difference in telling them to go out and deliberately injure someone.

It natural for people to want the oppositions best (or most important) player out of the game, it makes life a lot easier, but it doesnt mean they have to verbally say it..

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Very good points Rambos. This is football. This is what its about. Big hits. Punishing the other players. Taking their best out of the game. I had no problem with the Titans defense going after Warner, that's what this game is all about. Hit their QB so hard he doesn't want to drop back in the pocket anymore.

Initially I was appalled after hearing the Williams audio. After having several concussions from playing football and still experiencing post concussion symptoms some eight years later, I believe going "after the head" is still crossing the line. That being said, to not expect coaches to encourage their players to take out the opposing players is naive.

I also tore my ACL in high school, and I have no problems with him telling them to take out Crabtree's knee. Knee does not equal head. Knees can be repaired, and even if it can't, you can still have a high quality of life with a bum knee. The head and brain is a much different story.

I guess my main point is I have no problems with coaches telling their players to hurt the opposing player, however a line needs to be established. Intentionally trying to give someone a concussion is that line. But, concussions happen. My parents once asked me if I would have still played football even if I knew I would have extremely debilitating migraines a couple times a year, I responded, absolutely. Injuries are a part of this game, and if you aren't willing to accept that, then don't play.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    Very good points Rambos. This is football. This is what its about. Big hits. Punishing the other players. Taking their best out of the game. I had no problem with the Titans defense going after Warner, that's what this game is all about. Hit their QB so hard he doesn't want to drop back in the pocket anymore.

Initially I was appalled after hearing the Williams audio. After having several concussions from playing football and still experiencing post concussion symptoms some eight years later, I believe going "after the head" is still crossing the line. That being said, to not expect coaches to encourage their players to take out the opposing players is naive.

I also tore my ACL in high school, and I have no problems with him telling them to take out Crabtree's knee. Knee does not equal head. Knees can be repaired, and even if it can't, you can still have a high quality of life with a bum knee. The head and brain is a much different story.

I guess my main point is I have no problems with coaches telling their players to hurt the opposing player, however a line needs to be established. Intentionally trying to give someone a concussion is that line. But, concussions happen. My parents once asked me if I would have still played football even if I knew I would have extremely debilitating migraines a couple times a year, I responded, absolutely. Injuries are a part of this game, and if you aren't willing to accept that, then don't play.
    WOW! You were an unlucky one eh! I played ball too and the worst I've ever had is a broken pinky..

THE DREAM TEAM

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    WOW! You were an unlucky one eh! I played ball too and the worst I've ever had is a broken pinky..
    But it was in traction for 6 weeks!

One thing I noticed in the video is two of those hits might be illegal now, I saw one hit on KW in the head and then a horse collar. I have been watching hard hit for years and I understand they're part of the game, but after all of the a early deaths and concussions of NFL players I have to ask are they really necessary in this day and age? Would it really be that bad if we restricted players to wrap up tackles?
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Over the last few years I don't recall any Saints player or players being fined for late hits or leading with the helmet head shot, type hits. I do however recall seeing Steelers outside linebacker James Harrison constantly being fined for those type of hits.

The Saints did not seem like they where over aggressive to me, heck before this the Loins have been coached to play very aggressive, more so the the Saints.

What Williams said is way over the line IMO... I want to think the players and the coaches that heard that message just thought he was being way over the top with his speech and that no team would go out targeting previous injuries. I'm all for big hits as long as they are within the rules.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

This Williams thing has become a "toxic" subject. Almost as disturbing was ESPN's experts saying the only place for Williams to redeem himself is to team up with Fisher in St Louis. Long ago I learned that if ESPN says it--bet on the opposite.

Still don't think the Rams need the distraction, even if his band from the NFL is ever lifted

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    Well luckily I got all of my injuries out of the way early on- the concussion in seventh grade and torn ACL my freshman year. Went on to start 34 straight varsity games, so don't feel too sorry for me and my injuries

I would wager that if audio was leaked of one of Dick Lebeau's pregame talks we would hear much of the same, and that it would result in indefinite suspensions for James Harrison and Troy Polamalu...

In the end, the only thing that this whole ordeal will have changed is much greater locker room secrecy.

An interesting thought I just had, since it is illegal for players to receive benefits based on play, wouldn't all those highly publicized purchases made by QBs and running backs for their offensive lineman be just as illegal as players giving each other $500 for a big hit?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    Well luckily I got all of my injuries out of the way early on- the concussion in seventh grade and torn ACL my freshman year. Went on to start 34 straight varsity games, so don't feel too sorry for me and my injuries

I would wager that if audio was leaked of one of Dick Lebeau's pregame talks we would hear much of the same, and that it would result in indefinite suspensions for James Harrison and Troy Polamalu...

In the end, the only thing that this whole ordeal will have changed is much greater locker room secrecy.

An interesting thought I just had, since it is illegal for players to receive benefits based on play, wouldn't all those highly publicized purchases made by QBs and running backs for their offensive lineman be just as illegal as players giving each other $500 for a big hit?
    The NFL is contradicting itself. It states that you cant put money in a pot and give it to a player ($400) who makes a big play, but players get PAID for INCENTIVES! Incentives are REWARDS FOR SINGULAR PLAYERS FOR ACHIEVING THINGS!!!!!! Pure contradiction..

THE DREAM TEAM

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i can't watch footage from that game without becoming a blabbing mess,we did it woo hoo!!!

what was the question again?

live4ramin is offline Registered User

*****Derail Alert******

That Warner! What a tough *******. He would stare down a Union Pacific freighter, make the throw, take the lick and get right back up again.

Thanks for the memories.

****Now, back to whatever the topic was.
    "The horror"

rammiser is offline Registered User

Im on the opposite side as everyone i guess on this. When a boxer or mma a fighter sees his opponent injured he goes right for the injury. I think Williams was just pointing out the obvious. Is Gores head healed up? If not lets find out. Is this brutal sure but everyone on this planet is fooling themselves if they think things like this arent said league wide. You dont think coaches go over injury reports? I remember hearing a team and i cant recall who it was stating they were going to test a qb's sore ribs. Is this not exactly what Williams is saying?

When I was in HS I played left tackle. The guy in front of mejumped up and knocked down a pass. When I got back to the sidelines the coach actually said to me and the entire offensive line that if our guy jumped up to punch him in the stomach. He said he might bat down one but after a couple shots to the midsection he wont want to jump anymore. Needless to say he was right. This was in high school and i can imagine that these type of things go on in the NFL.

Have you ever heard an NFL player describe what goes on underneath a pile going for a fumble. Twisting the opponents junk, punching, gouging biting you name it. Everyone usually just laughs that off but yet people are screaming bloody murder because a coach tells his guys to test out injuries players recently had.

I know this isnt a popular view but I can't stand the way its being blown up so bad. I'm not saying it's right im just saying that I think this goes on a lot more than people think. I would tell my guys to get in a lick on the qb anytime they could and make him think about taking that 5 step drop next time. Punish the opponent until they arent thinking about the play they are thinking about the pain.

Ok let me have it.
    VegasRam likes this.
    Just Fix It

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Im on the opposite side as everyone i guess on this. When a boxer or mma a fighter sees his opponent injured he goes right for the injury. I think Williams was just pointing out the obvious. Is Gores head healed up? If not lets find out. Is this brutal sure but everyone on this planet is fooling themselves if they think things like this arent said league wide. You dont think coaches go over injury reports? I remember hearing a team and i cant recall who it was stating they were going to test a qb's sore ribs. Is this not exactly what Williams is saying?

When I was in HS I played left tackle. The guy in front of mejumped up and knocked down a pass. When I got back to the sidelines the coach actually said to me and the entire offensive line that if our guy jumped up to punch him in the stomach. He said he might bat down one but after a couple shots to the midsection he wont want to jump anymore. Needless to say he was right. This was in high school and i can imagine that these type of things go on in the NFL.

Have you ever heard an NFL player describe what goes on underneath a pile going for a fumble. Twisting the opponents junk, punching, gouging biting you name it. Everyone usually just laughs that off but yet people are screaming bloody murder because a coach tells his guys to test out injuries players recently had.

I know this isnt a popular view but I can't stand the way its being blown up so bad. I'm not saying it's right im just saying that I think this goes on a lot more than people think. I would tell my guys to get in a lick on the qb anytime they could and make him think about taking that 5 step drop next time. Punish the opponent until they arent thinking about the play they are thinking about the pain.

Ok let me have it.

I'm in your camp, I feel the same. I think the Saints did not stop after being told because it's more common in the NFL then people think. The Saints IMO are now trying to throwing Williams under the bus. Making him out to be a rogue coach. Once they where told to stop by the league, they all where aware of what was going on.. I think Peyton should have got the same suspension as Williams no more no less.

How do you go after an ACL? How do you go after the head? Where the Saints the most penalized team in the league the last few years? If they where the dirtiest team in the league I seen no evidence of that.

I think the Lions are a way more aggressive team the the Saints IMO.
    rammiser likes this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

I think it is not acceptable to ask your team to hit a player in a specific area to cause injury. All players learn to hit early on and they all want to put a lick on their opponent. That is football. Don't name players and specific areas to hit. Get your team fired up to do what is required to win. Play strong, play fundamentally sound football and have a plan to stop your opponent. I have no room/patience for showboats or goon squads. Play the game they way it is meant to be played