Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Limey is offline Registered User

Griese better than Warner?

Saw this on NFL Insider website, where they got a bunch of coaches to rank the best 10 QBs in the game today.
    Favre came first overall, but disturbingly Bill Walsh ranked Brian Griese as the top QB at the moment, with Warner fourth or something.
    Is he going senile?

"2. Kurt Warner
    When Warner is healthy, the Rams never are out of a game. He is so accurate (67.7 percent last season) that he isn't afraid to pass in any situation, and his quick setup and release-shades of Dan Marino-make blitzing him an iffy proposition. But what really makes Warner special -- and what makes Rams receivers so giddy -- is his knack for spreading the ball around to his teammates."
    :lid:

txramsfan is offline Registered User
    It's all relative. Griese is a great QB, but so is Warner. Warner has so many more weapons to throw to this year, and the Broncos have started looking at mens flag football leagues for WR
    s this year

RamWraith is offline Registered User

not sure

You could argue point about this all day. My point would be I wouldn't mind either on my team

Manning would also fit into that equation. One could make aruments for him as well. And Garcia is starting to fit the bill as well.

The Limey is offline Registered User
    In the same poll, the Rams loss to the Bucs last season was ranked the fifth best regular season game of all time.
    I must admit, despite the fact we lost, it was a game that had everything: The Bucs late score, Faulk's brilliance, a huge TD by Holt and an annoyingly clever onside kick by Grammatica (who has a helmet three sizes to large for his head).
    It reminded me a little of the Lions game from our Superbowl season, where the game swung to and fro until the Lions were facing a 4th and 26 with less than 2 minutes to go, before going on to win.
    Both defeats rank high in the pain factor, but I also remember the LA Rams losing on a hail mary in the mid-80s to, I think, the Patriots.
    Does anyone else have any losses that still rankle? Not necessarily the high profile defeats, such as last year's heartbreaker in New Orleans, but the regular season games that years afterwards you're still telling yourself we should have won

Out of interest the NFL Insider poll has this to say on the Rams v Bucs clash in 2000.
    "5. Buccaneers 38, Rams 35 (December 18, 2000)
    Marshall Faulk scored 4 touchdowns and the Rams overcame a 10-point second-half deficit, but the Buccaneers laughed last thanks to the heads-up play of Shaun King. On the game-winning drive, he turned a potential loss into a 15-yard gain after taking a desperation lateral from Warrick Dunn, and later converted a fourth-and-4 with a 6-yard scrambling run. Dunn (145 rushing yards and 3 touchdowns) scored the game winner with 48 seconds left."

:rolleyes: :upset: :upset: :upset: :upset:

Aries51 is offline Registered User
    There are two Rams losses that I remember that still give me knots in my stomach when I think about them.

1.The 1989 loss to the Whiners on MNF.We are driving for the score that would put the game away and then a snap from center fumble gives the ball back to the Whiners.Montana to Taylor,That damn little slant pattern and Bam!The Whiners end up coming back for the victory.
    2.The 1990 overtime loss to the Bengals.Everett brings us back from a huge 3rd quarter deficit and we still lose in overtime.

Both of those losses are still etched in my mind.

GO RAMS!STAY FOCUSED! WIN!
    ST.LOUIS RAMS:THE MOST FRUSTRATING TEAM IN THE NFL!!!

DJRamFan is offline Registered User
    Griese better than Warner?
    ppphhhhhhttttt.....bill i got next hit man...pass the munchies...

I want whatever cateract medicine they got him on nowadays:confused:
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

AJD45 is offline Registered User

Re: not sure

Originally posted by J-Ram
    Manning would also fit into that equation. One could make aruments for him as well. And Garcia is starting to fit the bill as well.
    The problem with ranking QB talent nowadays is that you have to look past the stats and take into account the offensive system, because now it's all about who can fit your system. The way I compare QBs is to try to think about it hypothetically if the two switched circumstances. If you put Warner on the Colts and Manning on the Rams, I think the two would still be pretty similar. But if you put Warner on the ***** and Garcia on the Rams, I think Warner would actually have better numbers (due to his amazing accuracy), but Garcia would crash and burn in Martz's offense -- he just doesn't have the arm strength or the ability to hang in the pocket. So IMHO: Warner great, Manning great, Garcia vastly overrated.

DJRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: Re: not sure

Originally posted by AJD45

The problem with ranking QB talent nowadays is that you have to look past the stats and take into account the offensive system, because now it's all about who can fit your system.
    The way i think about it is...i've been a huge fan of Jake Plummer and IMO his stats suck because of the system he's in and the personnel in AZ...i definitely agree AJD
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

Aries51 is offline Registered User
    Maybe in the off-season we could sign Plummer and he could become our Steve Young so to speak?

:lid: GO RAMS! STAY FOCUSED! WIN!:evilram:
    Last edited by Aries51; -11-16-2001 at 07:37 PM.
    ST.LOUIS RAMS:THE MOST FRUSTRATING TEAM IN THE NFL!!!

Warner_Bruce_03 is offline Registered User
    :lid: Kurt Warner shouldn't be compared to Brian Griese. What makes a quarterback good? The quarterback has to have good receivers in order to get the rating and yards that make them great. Warner and the RAMS have the best recievers in the game. Brian Griese and the broncos don't compare to the RAMS recievers. So, there is no reason for them to rank Brian Griese over Warner. Whenever Warner is healthy, he is the best again.:lid:
    Christopher Ryan Bradford

twocozzis is offline Registered User

Talking

Ha. Ha. Ha. that was the only thing that came to mind when we read this question.

Our answer is this.

Has Gresie ever won a superbowl, first year out..

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

GO RAMS................

ne_ramfan is offline Registered User

Re: Re: not sure

you have to look past the stats and take into account the offensive system, because now it's all about who can fit your system.
    Truer words were never spoken. The things that go into making a quarterback great are his numbers. There are, of course, the tangible things we can see or measure; the stats do that.

And then there are the things we don't see: the complexity of a teams offensive scheme and game plan; the weapons a QB has at his disposal; the relative health of his offensive line, receivers, and running backs; experience and patience in the pocket when looking downfield for a receiver; knowing when to let the clock run and when to call a time out. Even things as mundane as the weather can have a positive or a negative impact for your team.

To the question of Griese being better than Warner - if you look at it statistically, no way. But both are good QB's and assets to their team.

The numbers that matter most are the ones you have in the "WIN" column. Anything after that is gravy.

ram: Go Rams!
    Go Ram$!
    =======
    D Adams

txramsfan is offline Registered User
    The game against the Falcons today proved why Warner is a stud in the NFL. If the O line gives this guy time, watch out. Anyone, if Warner gets his time, watch out.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Talking Warner rules...

Hey Limey,

Great thread, great replies -- I really enjoyed it. And I agree with most of the views here. It's all relative (receivers, stats, system, etc.).

Even standing on a speculation mode, who could say? What if?... ["IF" - the big IF in the middle of LIFE]. It's funny.

Which is why I appreciate the bottom-line factors implicit in the quality of our current QB: one very special ring in hand forever, top W record in the NFL today, and admittedly --perhaps somewhat influenced by the book "All Things Possible"-- his personal /pro character. The guy is tough in both arenas.

I think Kurt Warner is simply the best right now. And might even become better (imagine having fewer INTs)!

Winning Warnerrrrr!
    Last edited by RealRam; -12-03-2001 at 02:41 PM.

kcramsfan is offline Registered User
    Bill also predicted the Chiefs would dominate the AFC and go to superbowls during the 90s...WRONG! I've heard him make other predictions and statements that were absolutely absurd! Maybe he's been out of the game9(COACHING) so long he's lost touch!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast