macrammer is offline Registered User

Groundhog Day?? Zag/Han v De/Spags

I see a bit of a split on the forum between keeping spags and letting him go. It is only our opinion and ultimately it is up to owner to decide but here is what I find interesting;

Linehan/Zag were atrocious. I think we can all agree on that. Linehan did not have NFL H/C experience, failed miserably but appears to have found his home in Detroit as the OC.

Say Spags gets hall pass his first year due to the complete rebuilding that was required after the previous regime. Spags is 9-31 overall or take into consideration the first year hall pass, he is 8 - 16. He is 2-12 over last 12 games.

As you all know, Spags made his bones on the defensive side of things and had no prior NFL H/C expereince

I saw a post today that discussed the need for playmakers for the Rams. I would certainly agree with that assessment but it got me to thinking about Linehan. Did we not say same thing about the roster and was that not one of the driving forces that caused the regime shift to DeSpags? Did we not already "rebuild?"

I am looking for some insight from the clan folks that feel we should keep Spags at least one more year. I'd like to understand the thought behind this. Please, something a bit more substantive then "I do not want to rebuild again" or, "We did not have camp" "Too many injuries" etc.

Can you list the prevailing and compelling facts that explain your view? It would be helpful to me as perhaps I am missing something that I should take into consideration other then what I see on Sunday.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Groundhog Day?? Zag/Han v De/Spags

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post

I saw a post today that discussed the need for playmakers for the Rams. I would certainly agree with that assessment but it got me to thinking about Linehan. Did we not say same thing about the roster and was that not one of the driving forces that caused the regime shift to DeSpags? Did we not already "rebuild?"
    Did we not already "rebuild?" Yeah we did under Linehan and that's the issue... when the ownership or FO. Hires a coach and staff and lets them cut the draft picks that where just made in recent years because they are not going to fit the new scheme.

The new coach starts to bring in his players from his old teams that he coach in prior years.... The roaster gets set over two or three years then you make another change and the process starts all over never ending.

The FO hired Spags, just like they hired Linehan before him. Not sure if a team can go anywhere if the ownership does not hire a staff and then make a commitment to see it through.

I look at the Steelers they hired a staff and stick with the coach and his philosophy to build a team long term.

If the Rams are going to fix the team Stan needs to have a plan and stick with it. I'm not sure if any of the current FO is going to be here long term. If we make a coaching change, i hope it's a complete organization change as well. My two cents.
    Last edited by Rambos; -11-07-2011 at 05:08 PM.

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

Easy, How good were you your first year at work? There are reasons that many apprenticeships are for 4 years. Spags is making mistakes. The important thing is that he learns from them and doesn't make the same mistakes over and over. This is a win now league and that's too bad because some good people don't get a chance. I think that a lot of our problems on offense this year including penalties are a result of the new system. The guys are doing too much thinking about what to do next and not just reacting naturally. It's not like they just started playing football this year.I want to give Spags and McD one more year with a full offseason to get the whole offense on the same page. The defense does not seem too far off. Even with the injuries in the backfield they are looking OK. One more year for continuities sake.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Thanks for the replies so far. I know there are others that believe strongly we should keep Spags and I would like to hear their viewpoint. It is helpful to get full view here.