• The defense

0 0%
  • Other (explain)

5 8.47%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gsot

HornIt is offline Registered User

Re: Gsot

It was both Warner and Faulk combined IMO.

If you could have taken those two in their primes and put them in a different offense, let's say the Cardinals offense now for instance, you'd have had something special.

Both extremely smart players, tough and great leaders. Special players and you won't soon find a combination like that again.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

First, let say me state that I voted for Marshall. ...with Kurt a very close second. I simply asked myself which single player/coach would you take out of the equation that would make the single biggest impact. To me, it was #28.

Also, I have to say this.... I'm not crazy about the term, "GSOT". Maybe it's just me, but it made it sound like the Rams were just a three-ring circus act, or a one-trick pony? ...just didn't sound like a great football term. Not like "fearsome foursome", or "steel curtain" anyway.

I see the cause for the rise, and fall, of the GSOT a little differently. The GSOT (ugh) came to be not just because of a certain collection of players, coaches and schemes. It came together because of the Trent Green incident, the "rally around Kurt and play good football" thing, and a very, very easy schedule that allowed the Rams to run roughshot through the schedule in the first year of the GSOT. (ugh) ...and when that '99 team ran through the league the way it did, all the way to the SB, the players and coached started BELIEVING. ...and believing your the best is a very powerful thing. The mental aspect of the game is so important, and I think, so overlooked and under appreciated. Once a team gains that kind of confidence, they believe they can beat anybody, and they play with a zest and cockiness that can turn a good team into a great team. You've heard the term "swagger", I'm sure. Well, the Rams had "IT".

Had they not won the SB that first year of the (ugh) GSOT, who knows what would have happened. But staying on track here, look at what opposite effect losing has on the "swagger". After the Rams lost their next SB appearance, they began to question themselves, the scheme and each other, and suddenly, the "swagger" was gone. They stopped believing and they stopped winning.

Of course, I'm over-simplifying what makes a good team great. I understand that some of the reasons for the demise of the GSOT was losing key players, but I believe it's always much more than just getting good players together. You have to believe you're good, you have to find that "swagger".

The players of the GSOT years were great, but it took more than that to make it all come together.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

You never should have left Vermeil off the list. He was the HC that chose Martz and all the players that Martz had. Vermeil deserves the majority of the credit for the GSOT era. Vermeil even went on to KC and from his second year on had a more potent offense then Martz in St. Louis.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    You never should have left Vermeil off the list. He was the HC that chose Martz and all the players that Martz had. Vermeil deserves the majority of the credit for the GSOT era. Vermeil even went on to KC and from his second year on had a more potent offense then Martz in St. Louis.
    Good point, my bad. I do love Dicky V. Guess he falls under the Other category though...

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Marshall Faulk. Followed closely by every other option. I remember back when I watched Faulk play. He could do EVERYTHING. Run, catch, break tackles, outrun defenders, EVERYTHING. Watching this guy play was very fun, and also very pleasurable. This guy seemed to be covered in oil. He would slip through multiple opponents' grasps, and then break away, and then stop and then juke another couple of guys, and then do some spin moves, some stiff arms, and into the touchdown. This guy fueled the GSOT. He was the major component. When Warner needed something to turn to when he was being pressured, most of the times it was Faulk. Dump it to Faulk, and you basically get an instant 7+ yards. He had unbelievable moves, agility, ball carrying vision, speed and intelligence.

This guy was the real deal. He was the Pete Sampras of the GSOT.

blood85 is offline Registered User

Marshall faulk was the most important piece, no one had an answer for him.

Keenum is offline Registered User

I think it's just about a dead tie between Faulk and Warner. I went with Faulk because he made several lights out plays where most RBs wouldn't have got half the yards he did.
    But without any of the pieces, Bruce, O-line, guys like Hakim, I think it would have been considerably weaker. Even a guy like Proehl who made one of the all time great grabs in the NFC Championship game.
    The GSOT wasn't about an individual, it was about the perfect pieces of a team falling together at the perfect time.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

It was all the pieces that came together. On offense, where would Faulk be if Bruce, Holt, and Hakim weren't around? Rick Prohel and Cromwell? What about that offense of line? Warner had a monster release, until he jammed his thumb. Trung Candidate, what happened to him? He did great vs. Jets while Faulk was out.

The defense did their part too, the offense would score too fast and then back on the field!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

rebel13 is offline Registered User

A very simple way to answer this question....which of the listed players have had any success since 2002? Which one has participated in another playoff game? Which one has taken another team to a Super Bowl?

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Kurt and Marshall together. Kurt had a way of just putting the ball where it needed to be especially against the blitz and Marshall was just loaded with skill when he had the ball in his hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorback View Post
    I've gotta go with Warner.
    He had a way of delivering the ball to the receivers in stride that is quite unusual in its continued accuracy, time and again.

I don't see anyone else in the league demonstrating that type of consistent accuracy and he now does it with another team and another set of recievers with vastly different skills.

I almost chose other in favor of Vermiel, who I think had a tremendous amount to do with their success and that MM took advantage of, yet did not replenish.

This is one of those ESPN type topics - well, it's Wednesday, better have another greatest of all time polls.
    I thought seriously about going with DV too. None of it happens without him laying the foundation and then putting the players together. You could throw Armey in there too. People forget that DV grew up in that offensive system too and contributed greatly and his impact in that respect showed up again when he went to KC.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Ok, here's the once a year "How Martz put GSOT together" post. All of the following is fact.

1. It was Martz who wanted Marshall Faulk, not DV. DV hated Faulk's practice regiment but Martz convinced DV to take a shot.

2. Bruce wanted out after 1998. Bruce and DV did not get along. Martz soothed the waters with Bruce and talked him into staying.

3. DV wanted to get Jeff Hostetler after Green went down. Martz saw something in Warner and the rest is history. In a weird, twisted sort of way, without Mike Martz the Kurt Warner story may have never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Ok, here's the once a year "How Martz put GSOT together" post. All of the following is fact.

1. It was Martz who wanted Marshall Faulk, not DV. DV hated Faulk's practice regiment but Martz convinced DV to take a shot.

2. Bruce wanted out after 1998. Bruce and DV did not get along. Martz soothed the waters with Bruce and talked him into staying.

3. DV wanted to get Jeff Hostetler after Green went down. Martz saw something in Warner and the rest is history. In a weird, twisted sort of way, without Mike Martz the Kurt Warner story may have never happened.
    Oh man, here we go. Sorry, but I can't let that go. It's not accurate.

1. Martz had nothing to do with the arrival of Faulk. That was all done by Vermeil, Armey and Shaw executed the trade. If DV didn't want Faulk, he wouldn't have been there. He had full say. This gets misunderstood by some because DV was critical of Faulk during his hold out, but that had nothing to do with the trade in the first place. It was DV and Armey who wanted Faulk and asked Shaw to work out the trade.

2. Bruce and DV butted heads, but Bruce never wanted out. Yes, Martz helped smooth that situation out, but it was mostly DV backing off the entire team, not just Bruce, and not running a boot camp as he had prior that accomplished that. DV has talked about this before, saying he was especially hard on the team the first two years because he was trying to establish toughness and a culture of hard work to weed out the players who didn't belong there. Backing off a bit in the 3rd year was part of the plan.

3. This is completely off. It was actually DV that prevented Martz from getting the guy he wanted to backup Green, Paul Justin, because DV liked Warner and wouldn't promise Justin the backup job. So Justin went and signed with the Raiders instead. DV was NOT interested in Hostetler as the starter in place of Warner after Green went down. In fact, once again, it was because DV would not promise Hostetler the job that the deal never happened. It has been well reported that Martz was the guy uncomfortable with Warner and it was DV that convinced him, not the other way around, that they would be okay with Warner.

DV was always Warner's backer. This is part of a post from Howard Balzer about that:

Some Parts on Warner Story Not Generally Known
    By Howard Balzer Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The improbable tale of the guy who went from a bagger in a grocery store to Super Bowl MVP, disappeared from view and reemerged in the Super Bowl again, has its roots in the confidence of former Rams coach Dick Vermeil, who overruled his offensive coordinator to keep Warner on the roster in 1998.

It is one of the rarely told stories of how Warner even earned a job in Vermeil's second season as the Rams' coach.

Vermeil was hired by the Rams in 1997, and brought Jerry Rhome with him as offensive coordinator. As most coaches do, they have players they like to bring with them to new stops on the coaching trail. So it was that Rhome suggested the Rams sign lefthanded quarterback Will Furrer to compete for the No. 3 job on the roster.

Furrer played well in a pre-season game against Dallas, and beat out Jamie Martin for the job. It's interesting to note that Martin was still in the league in 2008, while Furrer has been long gone.

The following year is where this story grows intriguing. Rhome wasn't even present for a December tryout in 1997 for Warner, who had been excelling for the Arena Football League's Iowa Barnstormers.

Al Lugenbill, head coach of the Amsterdam Admirals in the NFL's Europe league, wanted Warner for his team. But he needed an NFL team to sign him and allocate him. Other teams had varying degrees of interest, but it was the Rams that signed him a few days after Christmas because personnel director Charley Armey liked what he had seen.

Warner went overseas and won the job in a close competition with Jake Delhomme, then with the New Orleans Saints. When he arrived for Rams training camp in July, he was competing with ... drum roll, please, ... Will Furrer. Warner showed some moxie and Vermeil recalled liking what he had seen. But there was the Rhome factor to overcome.

As camp ended, Rhome pushed for Furrer to get the job again. But Vermeil wasn't convinced this time. He had the backing of other assistants, including Mike White, and the choice was made to cut Furrer and keep Warner.

Where would Warner would be today had that decision not been made? No one can really say. But it seems obvious Warner wouldn't be where is today.

The Rams were a bad football team in 1998. They were 4-12, and there were those that believed the game had passed Vermeil by. Because of injuries to Tony Banks and Steve Bono, Warner played in the season finale against San Francisco and was a non-descript 4-for-11 for 39 yards.

Immediately after the season ended, Rhome was fired and Mike Martz was hired as offensive coordinator. So little did Martz know of Warner that when the quarterback went to Martz's office to introduce himself, Martz first thought Warner was a tight end. The Rams signed Trent Green as a free agent, and Warner was actually left unprotected in the 1999 veteran allocation draft for the expansion Cleveland Browns. The Browns would draft Tim Couch that year, and in the expansion draft, they selected Scott Milanovich. Both, of course, are out of football.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

OMG, ok. What I reported is so documented that I thought everyone knew it was common knowledge. I'll let Nick or HUb take care of it. I'm sick and going home. Doing taxes with a fever isn't a good option for the client.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    OMG, ok. What I reported is so documented that I thought everyone knew it was common knowledge. I'll let Nick or HUb take care of it. I'm sick and going home. Doing taxes with a fever isn't a good option for the client.
    Not documented by those who cover the team or those who were part of it, such as Vermeil, Balzer, etc.

By some fans? Yeah, they've done some of their documentation and that has become "common knowledge" in some places. I've seen that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast