Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Guess who's Available?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Guess who's Available?

" Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette cautions "do not be surprised if Steelers trade Mike Wallace during training camp."We fully expect the Steelers to listen to offers now that they no longer believe they can sign Wallace to a long-term deal. Dulac reports the team's brass called Drew Rosenhaus, agent for Antonio Brown, hours after Wallace failed to report for the start of camp. Rosenhaus and the Steelers then spent two days hammering out a deal for Brown while Wallace twisted in the wind. The franchise proved two years ago with the Santonio Holmes trade that they won't hesitate to make an example of a player who won't get with "Steeler-Way." "

- Rotoworld

If we could pull this off, I'd be extremely confident in our WR corps. Not only that, he provides one of the BEST deep threats in football, virtually opening up everything underneath.

THE DREAM TEAM

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Re: Guess who's Available?

If we get Mike Wallace.....

I will go nuts haha. This guy is a boss. He is a top 10 WR in the league in my opinion.

Time to use your assets Les, and hook Sam up.

If they are indeed looking to move him we are a perfect trading partner. We are out of the AFC, and can offer high quality picks.

Also, Wallace doesn't have any off-field issues. The Steelers seem kinda intense. All the dude is asking for is to get paid, and they slap him in the face by giving Antonio Brown an extension.

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    If we get Mike Wallace.....

I will go nuts haha. This guy is a boss. He is a top 10 WR in the league in my opinion.

Time to use your assets Les, and hook Sam up.

If they are indeed looking to move him we are a perfect trading partner. We are out of the AFC, and can offer high quality picks.

Also, Wallace doesn't have any off-field issues. The Steelers seem kinda intense. All the dude is asking for is to get paid, and they slap him in the face by giving Antonio Brown an extension.
    Agreed on everything but the last point. They've been discussing a contract extension for months now, and recently Wallace turned down a 5 yr 50 million dollar contract. I think thats when the Steelers realized either

1) We can no longer afford his services and we will trade him and get whatever we can for him
    or
    2) Let him play on his 2 mill $ tender and try to win a SB with him, only to let him walk in FA next year.

I guess we will see.

THE DREAM TEAM

Truck is offline Registered User

This is all great, but how could we pay him.

" The Pittsburgh Trib-Review says Mike Wallace wants V-Jax money ($11.1 million annually), not Fitzgerald money ($15M) "

- Evan Silva

THE DREAM TEAM

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

I been saying trade for him since he was first tendered,and im still saying do it.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

If Les and Jeff feel Wallce is worth pursuing fine .. My take is don't bother. Draft picks are like gold when well spent. IMO Les & Jeff will hang on to the picks we acquired with the RGIII trade, and build through the draft. There should be some healthy competition amongst the wide receivers we already have, and additionally there will be more cap casualties as other teams' rookies show their stuff in camp and preseason, thereby displacing perhaps some bargain veterans.

I believe the Rams will try to develop the players currently on the roster, with perhaps some tweaking during camp and preseason games. We have 2 first round draft picks next year, and the year after. Speed receivers can be had later in the draft and Mike Wallace is certainly proof of this. He was the 84th player selected in 2009 in the third round. I'm for spending our cap money as judiciously as is possible, and it appears we have the right coach & GM in place to accomplish this. Stan Kroenke is no rookie when it comes to delegating important responsibilities ..

Fastcat is offline Registered User

The highest pick id offer is a 3rd. But wouldnt feel good offering a big money deal... He has only 1yr or productivity so he could get paid and lay down... Remember Drew Bennett?

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Givens could be our Mike Wallace if we develop him. Save some money and develop the players we already have imo.

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    Givens could be our Mike Wallace if we develop him. Save some money and develop the players we already have imo.
    Let our franchise $78 million dollar QB get murdered? At this point I think we need to do EVERYTHING we can to help Sam out. I just re-watched a few games from last year.. I totally forgot how bad our WR's are. I think Quick and Givens will be solid some day, but what about next year? We have to be realistic.. Quick and Givens will struggle. Amendola is nice, but he changes nothing. Steve Smith hasn't been the same since his injury. DX can't play 5 consecutive plays. Pettis is horrendous. Salas has potential, but we have to wait for him, not to mention he broke his leg last year.

We have no bonafide #1 or #2 WR on our team. We have plenty of guys with potential, but that doesn't mean ANYTHING in this league. Realistically, we ALL know that our WR's are going to once again be below average if not bad, and we will once again struggle on offense only being able to muster up 15 PPG at max. I'm sick of watching that crap.

Imagine what Wallace could be here? He'd immediately be our #1 WR by far. He makes for probably the best deep threat (other than Calvin) in the NFL. Blazing fast, great hands, and decently sized at 6'0. He'd open up HUGE holes for guys like Amendola, Salas, Smith and Quick underneath.

I'm all for it. As long as we have the $ to re-sign Long and Laurinaitis, we should do this.

THE DREAM TEAM

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    The highest pick id offer is a 3rd. But wouldnt feel good offering a big money deal... He has only 1yr or productivity so he could get paid and lay down... Remember Drew Bennett?
    2009: 4 GS, 39 receptions, 756 yards, 19.4 avg, 6 TD's
    2010: 16 GS, 60 receptions, 1,257 yards, 21.0 avg, 10 TD's
    2011: 14 GS, 72 receptions, 1,193 yards, 16.6 avg, 8 TD's

1 year of production? This guy averages 19 YPC! Thats more than any Rams WR for at least 5-10 years. Thats frickin ridiculous. I'd like to think he has shown up for more than "1 year" as you'd say.. Even as a rookie he outproduced any WR on our team.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Like I always say... better to have more good receivers than you need rather than be short on good receivers.

If the price is right...let's go for him.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Let's break this down...

1. What would the Rams have to give up?

The Steelers would likely ask for one of the Rams' two first round picks. I think that's too high. I might consider going as high as a second round pick (and maybe throw in a 5th or 6th rounder as well).

2. What would Wallace cost (and how would the Rams afford him)?

He would clearly be looking for a multi-year deal worth $11M-$12M. The Rams could probably move some money around, but they need to be careful that they don't put themselves in a position where they will be unable to re-sign Chris Long and James Laurinaitis next year.

I doubt this will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Let's break this down...

1. What would the Rams have to give up?

The Steelers would likely ask for one of the Rams' two first round picks. I think that's too high. I might consider going as high as a second round pick (and maybe throw in a 5th or 6th rounder as well).

2. What would Wallace cost (and how would the Rams afford him)?

He would clearly be looking for a multi-year deal worth $11M-$12M. The Rams could probably move some money around, but they need to be careful that they don't put themselves in a position where they will be unable to re-sign Chris Long and James Laurinaitis next year.

I doubt this will happen.
    1. " The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette estimates restricted free agent Mike Wallace wouldn't net the Steelers more than a fourth-round pick in a trade. Beat writer Ed Bouchette bases his guess on the fact that no one was willing to surrender a first-round pick for Wallace in the offseason, and because Pittsburgh could net only a fifth-round pick when it dealt Santonio Holmes in April 2010. Holmes, of course, was facing a four-game suspension at the time -- severely undercutting his trade value. The Steelers can get a third-round pick as compensation if Wallace walks in 2013. It's hard to imagine they would settle for less than a second-rounder in a trade. "

2. " According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, unsigned restricted free agent Mike Wallace is seeking a contract similar to Vincent Jackson's in Tampa Bay.
    The Sacramento Bee reported in March that Wallace was demanding Larry Fitzgerald money. Fitzgerald received $120 million over eight years, good for an annual average of $15 million and the richest contract in league history for a wideout at the time it was signed. Jackson's deal was worth $55.555 million over five years -- an $11.1 annual average and quite a bit more reasonable. A team willing to pony up that kind of dough plus a decent draft pick could probably take Wallace off the Steelers' hands before the season. "

- Both from Rotoworld

Anything can happen!

THE DREAM TEAM

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I'd pull the trigger on a deal for a 2nd rounder that would pay Wallace ~$11 million/year for 4-5 years. He has been highly productive, has top end speed, and is only 25 years old. Yes, we need to be able to re-sign our best players as they come up, but if there's anywhere we'd want to splurge right now, I think it would be to shore up a position that has been a problem for us every season since we last had a winning record.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast