RamWraith is offline Registered User

Hadley on D team speed

From John Hadley--

THE RAMMIES: Several e-mails were wanting for an expanded look at team speed on the defensive side of the ball in the NFL.

Simply stated, it is my contention that Leonard Little is the fastest defensive lineman in the NFL. The loss of Little, in addition to the obvious, production, would significantly hinder speed along the defensive front.

While Tony Hargrove is a superb athlete, he isn't in the elite speed (straight-ahead and acceleration) class of Little. Overall, Hargrove is likely the second best athlete among the DLmen behind Little. I believe Erik Flowers is probably the second fastest DLman based on straight-ahead speed.

Offering a more abstract view of defensive team-speed, keep in mind; my opinions and projections are based on comparisons within the NFC.

Without question, the Rams secondary rate among the elite in speed rankings. The Rams cornerbacks are clearly the fastest group in the NFC. The top three CBs can flat-out burn; Jeremtrius Butler has legit playing speed, while Travis Fisher and Kevin Garrett rank among the fastest CBs in all the NFL.

With the addition of Justin Lucas, the Rams speed index at safety is enhanced. The Rams safeties overall rank among the top five in the NFC.

I would rank the Rams secondary as the fastest in the NFC. The five swiftest in the NFC after the Rammies are: 2. New Orleans; 3. Dallas; 4. New York Giants; 5. Philadelphia and 6. Carolina.

The Rams starting linebacking corps ranks among the five fastest in the NFC however in my estimation, the Green Bay Packers have the fastest 'backers in the NFC. The Rams would rank with Dallas, Philly and Tampa Bay following the Packers.

On the perimeter, the surprise group would be the Detroit Lions OLBs based on speed.

Overall, the Rams lose points based on backups. The Rams backup 'backers are wanting for pure speed and quality.

With Little, the Rams defensive line is respectable, however the loss of Little would hinder the flanks as previously mentioned. Tyoka Jackson is a playmaker however lacks speed, Sean Moran is slow, the Rams remain high on Bryce Fisher but he has average speed and while Flowers can run, he lacks the stamina to be an everyday player.

The Rams defense ranks with Tampa Bay and Philadelphia as the overall fastest in the NFC. New Orleans and Washington are close behind with Chicago, Dallas and Carolina in the next group. Arizona has the most underrated cast of defenders based on speed with Seattle as the most overrated.

In fact, Seattle in relative terms is a slow defensive team, ranking among the three or four at the bottom of the barrel in the NFC.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Hadley on D team speed

I'm not so worried about the D line speed as I am the way they were pushed around late last year. We made Foster look like a starter. Carolina ran all over this D line. If the Rams start to stuff the run better than last year, everyone can thank Mike Martz. He told the D line as long as you stay in shape, gain the weight. These adjustments in the offseason to me is what makes Mike Martz a special coach.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Cool Re: Hadley on D team speed

First of all, where does this guy get off referring to the Rams as the Rammies. Very cute Hadley, but this is football. You know - tough guys. No room for cutesy nicknames like the Rammies. Can it Hadley!!

Next up, where are some recent 40 times to back up any of these claims of speed. Are we supposed to just take the word of a guy who refers to the Rams as the Rammies? When did he time Hargrove and Little? Maybe he staged a live footrace? Oh it's neck and neck at the 30 with these two Rammies, oh and Little Rammie edges Tony Rammie at the line. Yes folks, Little Rammie is the fastest of the Rammie defensive lineman!

:tongue:

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Hargrove ran a 4.68 prior to the draft, I believe.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel Guest

The way i look at it, i sure hope that we are not counting on many tackles 40 yards down the field by our defensive linemen.

I loved the ravens coach's statement at the draft last year when asked if he was worried about the slow 40 yard time by terrell suggs, paraphrasing here "I will start to worry about it if the qb's start to drop back 40 yards!"

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

"I will start to worry about it if the qb's start to drop back 40 yards!"
    That is a classic! Too funny!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    I'm not so worried about the D line speed as I am the way they were pushed around late last year. We made Foster look like a starter. Carolina ran all over this D line. If the Rams start to stuff the run better than last year, everyone can thank Mike Martz. He told the D line as long as you stay in shape, gain the weight. These adjustments in the offseason to me is what makes Mike Martz a special coach.
    Tx nailed it. We're not asking these guys to run fly patterns. I've never understood why the 40 time is at all relevant to the D-line. It's power, agility, and leverage. Pure speed has nothing to do with it.

On another note, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was Marmie's call to let the DTs bulk up?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod