Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Hadley:Free agents that the Rams are interested in

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    I asked Barry Waller about this in mid-December and he said that an injury settlement wouldn't do anything for the cap hit, because settlements are usually regarding a player's salary, not their bonus. Since the cap hit we'd take would be from an accelerated bonus, there's not much a settlement could do, according to him.
    Unless he paid some/most/all of it back, right?

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Right, he would have to pay the bonus money back to the team. The odds of that happening are pretty slim though, I'd think, and I don't think we could initiate any kind of action to get it back unless there was a clause in his contract, ala Ricky Williams.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Given that I've been on a bash-the-media kick lately, perhaps someone can remind me?

How many of Hadley's free agents did the Rams sign?

In fact, how many of them did the Rams even make an offer to (as far as we know)?

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Let me guess...none??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

MLB ED HARTWELL......... would love to sign this guy

OG MARCO RIVERA

DT PAT WILLIAMS

DE JOHN ABRAHAM
    Looks like none to me.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel Guest

Clarification on the turley front nick. We have a reasonable argument in arbitration due to his failure to attempt to rehab. Ricky Williams had no case of any kind. Could lead to a settlement with at least some money paid back, which has no effect this year, but reduces the approximately 5.46 million hit next year on a dollar for dollar basis.

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Given that I've been on a bash-the-media kick lately, perhaps someone can remind me?

How many of Hadley's free agents did the Rams sign?

In fact, how many of them did the Rams even make an offer to (as far as we know)?
    Perhaps that's why he only said these were guys the Rams were interested in.

It's hard to make offers or even entertain guys who are signed within the first two days of free agency (Williams, Rivera) or didn't even hit the market (Abraham).

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Clarification on the turley front nick. We have a reasonable argument in arbitration due to his failure to attempt to rehab.
    I thought he was rehabbing now...?

Perhaps that's why he only said these were guys the Rams were interested in.

It's hard to make offers or even entertain guys who are signed within the first two days of free agency (Williams, Rivera) or didn't even hit the market (Abraham).
    I could be wrong, but I think AV's comments were more of a thinly veiled swipe at Hadley's self-portrayed "insider" status and prophetic capabilities than an actual comment on any specific players.

But, like I said, I could be wrong.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Aren't they still working on Williams?

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

I think he mispelled Michael Stone...

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    I could be wrong, but I think AV's comments were more of a thinly veiled swipe at Hadley's self-portrayed "insider" status and prophetic capabilities than an actual comment on any specific players.

But, like I said, I could be wrong.
    It just seems rather odd to question Hadley's notion that the Rams were interested in certain players when, for all we know, he could have been 100% correct. I would think the only reason to bring it back up now was because those specific players weren't signed, and it's because of that that a jab at Hadley is being made. But again, this wasn't a prediction that the Rams would sign them - just that they were interested. To my knowledge, we have no information that contradicts that.

It just seems rather odd to question Hadley's notion that the Rams were interested in certain players when, for all we know, he could have been 100% correct. I would think the only reason to bring it back up now was because those specific players weren't signed, and it's because of that that a jab at Hadley is being made. But again, this wasn't a prediction that the Rams would sign them - just that they were interested. To my knowledge, we have no information that contradicts that.
    That may be the case, you'll have to take that up with Avenger. But if that was Hadley's intention, then I wouldn't really discribe it as noteworthy. All he did was list one of the top FAs at some positions the Rams were looking for. If Hadley was simply saying the Rams were interested in these guys, then I would question why Hadley's comments were even published, and congratulate Hadley on his uncanny knack for stating the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    If Hadley was simply saying the Rams were interested in these guys, then I would question why Hadley's comments were even published, and congratulate Hadley on his uncanny knack for stating the obvious.
    That may be, but I'm not sure I agree that knowing which specific free agents the Rams may be interested in back in January is obvious to everyone. Perhaps for those of us here who are more connected and up to date with daily news may have already known this, but think about those who may depend on Hadley as one of their sources because they don't keep up as much and aren't as attuned to what's going on.

We look at Hadley's news and view it as obvious because we're aware of team needs and what's available on the free agent market. For those that don't keep up as much as we might, then perhaps Hadley's statements weren't as obvious as they are to us.

Just my two cents.

That may be, but I'm not sure I agree that knowing which specific free agents the Rams may be interested in back in January is obvious to everyone. Perhaps for those of us here who are more connected and up to date with daily news may have already known this, but think about those who may depend on Hadley as one of their sources because they don't keep up as much and aren't as attuned to what's going on.

We look at Hadley's news and view it as obvious because we're aware of team needs and what's available on the free agent market. For those that don't keep up as much as we might, then perhaps Hadley's statements weren't as obvious as they are to us.

Just my two cents.
    Nick, I guess my point is that if Hadley's intent was to let us know who the Rams are interested in, then he accomplished it. But his list could have been used for any team. He could have presented that same list of players and said that the ______ were interested in them. Any team would be. But if that was his purpose, so be it, but it must have been a slow news day.

What gripes some of us is when "insiders" throw out some general wide-sweeping shotgun approach to future transactions and then attempt to mold the results into fitting their forecast. There's nothing wrong with hedging bets, but it is quite annoying to some of us.

I got no personal agenda with Hadley or any of the others, it's just a pet peeve, that's all.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast