Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Hadley:Free agents that the Rams are interested in

Hadley is always making "predictions" or claiming to have inside information. When his stories prove to be accurate (which happens less than 50% of the time) he crows about how he was the only one who knew what was going to happen. When the stories don't pan out... well, that's where I come in.

Onsides Kick Guest

Gentlemen,

You get what you pay for.

An analogy: Do any of us REALLY know what direction the Rams are going in for the draft? Can any of us here accurately predict who the 19th pick will be? The current postings show otherwise.

Was Hadley incorrect in his suggestion of who the Rams were targeting? Who knows. It's possible that the Rams originally were interested in those players. It's also entirely possible that the Rams floated those names out there to deceive other teams. There are several possibilities on this.

The question is: what point is there to reading Hadley's material? For me, it's just good fun, and some food for thought.
    Do I read it as gospel? No way. I don't think you could ask Charley Armey who we are going to pick in the draft, and put full faith in it. The variables involved in those situations are too great to ensure any of it.

Did Mr. Hadley get an idea of what the Rams were targeting, and who might be good fits? I think so. The people on the list were at positions that the Rams were looking to fill - and anyone looking at the list of names back in early February would have agreed that the members on that list made sense in what we all think needs to be addressed to improve the team. Perhaps the Rams originally thought there would be little interest in Ed Hartwell. Then, when they tested the waters, they soon realized this was not an economical option for them. So, they tested the waters on Coakley and Claiborne, and got what fit for them. Could anyone have predicted this before it started? Probably not.

It just sounds to me like someone in this forum wants to believe in Mr. Hadley, but is getting let down by the predictable inaccuracy of future events.

Who cares if Hadley was right?!?!?! Nothing really matters until Game 1 of the season - that's what counts. In the meantime, us football-starved fans try to find a way to pass the offseason time. This is the next best thing. For me, it's fun to evaluate the ideas thrown out by Hadley.

If you don't like his style, okay. Don't listen to him.

Good luck.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    But his list could have been used for any team. He could have presented that same list of players and said that the ______ were interested in them. Any team would be.
    I disagree - I don't think every team in the NFL is interested in the players Hadley listed. Maybe one here or there, but not all, and I don't think you can take one list of players Team X is interested in, and change X to Y, and maintain its accuracy.

In that manner, I don't see the problem with alerting a public what players their team is interested in, again, especially if certain followers depend on Hadley for this kind of news.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    When the stories don't pan out... well, that's where I come in.
    So where's your proof that the Rams were never interested in these players?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Who knows? Maybe someone in the Rams' organization was interested in some of these players. But that doesn't change the fact that Hadley is constantly talking out of his wazoo.

Where's the Hadley story telling us that Dexter Coakley was going to be released and that the Rams were going to pursue him? Where's the prognostication of the Claiborne signing?

Hadley throws darts at a board, crows when he hits, and is silent when he misses. That's my point, and I'm sticking to it.

I'd have no problem with Hadley if he said, "here are some players that the Rams might be looking at" or "should be looking at." But he always seems to be saying that these are the players that the Rams "are looking at." Frankly, I think his "information" is barely more than a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Onsides Kick
    Gentlemen,

You get what you pay for.

An analogy: Do any of us REALLY know what direction the Rams are going in for the draft? Can any of us here accurately predict who the 19th pick will be? The current postings show otherwise.

Was Hadley incorrect in his suggestion of who the Rams were targeting? Who knows. It's possible that the Rams originally were interested in those players. It's also entirely possible that the Rams floated those names out there to deceive other teams. There are several possibilities on this.

The question is: what point is there to reading Hadley's material? For me, it's just good fun, and some food for thought.
    Do I read it as gospel? No way. I don't think you could ask Charley Armey who we are going to pick in the draft, and put full faith in it. The variables involved in those situations are too great to ensure any of it.

Did Mr. Hadley get an idea of what the Rams were targeting, and who might be good fits? I think so. The people on the list were at positions that the Rams were looking to fill - and anyone looking at the list of names back in early February would have agreed that the members on that list made sense in what we all think needs to be addressed to improve the team. Perhaps the Rams originally thought there would be little interest in Ed Hartwell. Then, when they tested the waters, they soon realized this was not an economical option for them. So, they tested the waters on Coakley and Claiborne, and got what fit for them. Could anyone have predicted this before it started? Probably not.

It just sounds to me like someone in this forum wants to believe in Mr. Hadley, but is getting let down by the predictable inaccuracy of future events.

Who cares if Hadley was right?!?!?! Nothing really matters until Game 1 of the season - that's what counts. In the meantime, us football-starved fans try to find a way to pass the offseason time. This is the next best thing. For me, it's fun to evaluate the ideas thrown out by Hadley.

If you don't like his style, okay. Don't listen to him.

Good luck.
    First of all, welcome to the Clan.

I, for one, would really like to think that the sportwriters covering the team have access to information that I don't. Otherwise, why would I bother reading what they write?

The problem is, guys like Hadley and Bernie write as if there is no distinction between their opinions and the facts that they have uncovered. That's where I get annoyed at these guys.

You bring up a good point about the draft. If a sportwriter simply writes "the Rams are interested in Joe Shmoe" it probably means that Joe Shmoe is the guy that the writer would like to see chosen. Until I hear that the Rams met with Joe Shmoe, or sent a scout to his private workout, or something of the like, I'll presume its just an opinion. But why should I have to decifer this? Shouldn't the writer simply say "I think" if he's just giving an opinion or bare speculation, and only say "I know" when he really knows?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Welcome aboard Onsides...
    Are you saying we shouldn't be able to rely on the information that sports "reporters" relay to the public. Because if we can't what is their purpose? If it's to give us their opinions or wishes for the team, fine. I can live with that, but don't wrap it into a package that is supposed to be "reporting" the news. AV said it much better than I ever could...
    Quote Originally Posted by AV
    The problem is, guys like Hadley and Bernie write as if there is no distinction between their opinions and the facts that they have uncovered. That's where I get annoyed at these guys
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Maybe someone in the Rams' organization was interested in some of these players. But that doesn't change the fact that Hadley is constantly talking out of his wazoo.
    What it does change though is that he wasn't talking out of his wazoo in this instance.

Hadley throws darts at a board, crows when he hits, and is silent when he misses. That's my point, and I'm sticking to it.
    I'm not questioning this opinion or your's, but rather where you decided to bring it up. This isn't exactly a shining piece of evidence against Hadley, since you can't denounce it.

But he always seems to be saying that these are the players that the Rams "are looking at."
    Again, do you have any information saying the Rams weren't looking at them? There's a difference between saying the Rams are interested in so-and-so - which Hadley did - and saying the Rams are going to sign them - which Hadley did not.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Well, I guess Hadley has cried "wolf" so many times, I just don't believe anything he says.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234