RamWraith is offline Registered User

Hadley on Jackson

Friday, November 10, 2006
    JACKSON DESERVING OF KUDOS

GIVE 39 HIS PROPS

Steven Jackson has elevated his game in ‘06...

I’ve never hidden my disdain for the actions of Steve Jackson during the 2005 season and during the offseason.

Jackson basically sold-out some teammates, and coaches last season. Jackson failed to run with authority refusing to look in the mirror.

Simply stated, from a personal standpoint… I have no respect for Jackson.

From a professional standpoint… I applaud the effort of Steven Jackson this season.

Jackson has moved upwardly in virtually every aspect of his role as the lead running back.

Prior to the season on The Big 550 (KTRS), I stated that Jackson had “talk the talk without walking the walk.”

In the first eight games of this season… he’s walkin’ miles ahead of his talkin’.

Forget the traditional numbers… allow me to present more focused, detailed and in some cases much more pertinent numbers.

The following facts and stats illustrate how Jackson has significantly increased his performance in key situations:

THE LAST 10...

Justly, many fans and analysts (including moi) chided Jackson for his lack of efficiency in the red zone and more important from the opposing 10-yard line to the goal line. His performance last season and in the first three-plus games this season demanded perplexity. In 2006, Jackson’s first eight touches inside the opposing 10-yard line resulted in a total of negative two yards… that’s right eight touches for a negative two yards. Since that point, he has been a legit factor bordering on dominate prior to a fumble this past weekend.

*Jackson has scored a touchdown from inside the opposition 10-yard line in four of the last five games.

*Jackson has 14 straight touches without a negative play inside the opposing 10-yard line.

*He has gained 50 percent or more of the yardage necessary for pay dirt six times his last 12 touches inside the opposing 10-yard line.

*He has gained, collectively, 74 percent of the necessary yardage for pay dirt over his last 12 touches inside the opposing 10-yard line.

Conclusion: Jackson has become a legit factor when the Rams penetrate deep into opposing territory. A key has been the fact that the play-calling diversified. The coaching staff ran Jackson “right” his first six carries inside the opposing 10-yard line (and eight of 10). Since that point, he has run up the gut three times, ran left three times, ran once to the right in addition to catching three passes. Simply stated, improved effort by Jackson and creative play-calling has equated into success.

THE FIRST 19...

The most underrated barometer for analyzing power runners is performance efficiency deep in a team’s own zone. Jackson has been a superb performer assisting the team in tilting the field in an attempt to win the field possession battle. When it comes to moving forward away from the Rams goal line… Jackson has been awesome. Here are his numbers on plays from the Rams 1-yard line to the Rams 19-yard line:

*Jackson has 32 touches in the area encompassing the first 19 yards from the Rams own end zone.

*Of those 32 touches, 16 plays resulted in gains of five or more yards… that is 50 percent.

*Of those 32 touches, eight plays resulted in gains of 10 or more yards… that is 25 percent.

*Jackson has eight receptions in such situation averaging 10.4 yards per catch.

*Jackson has 14 first-down touches when the Rams are positioned between their 1-yard line and 19-yard line. He has averaged a superb 5.6 yards per touch. In fact, eight of his 14 touches resulted in gains of five or more yards (57 percent).

*When referencing the tough yards… keep in mind that in such situations, Jackson has run up the middle (between the guards) 14 times averaging 4.9 ypc.

*Jackson’s last 16 touches between the Rams 1-yard line to 19-yard line… have resulted in an average gain of 7.2 yards per touch.

FURTHERMORE…

*The last two weeks, Steven Jackson ranks fourth in the NFL in receiving yards (188). He actually ranks ahead of Marvin Harrison (183), Terrell Owens (183), and of course Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce.

*Jackson has rushed 46 consecutive times without losing yardage. The only halfback in the NFL topping Jackson is LT. Tomlinson has 47 straight rushes without a negative run.

*Yes, Jackson has played six straight games without reaching the 100-yard rushing plateau however over the last six games he’s still averaging 139.8 yards from scrimmage which is the second best total in the NFL (behind LT and ahead of LJ) and best in the NFC since September 24. He also ranks second during the same timeframe in touches from the line of scrimmage.

*Since September 24, Jackson is one of 22 running backs to register 100 or more carries. He ranks second with the lowest stuff percentage in the league. Among the group of 22 (during the timeframe) he ranks fourth with a plus-3 stuff-to-big rush ratio (runs for 10 or more yards).

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Re: Hadley on Jackson

Just curious, after reading this RW have you changed your mind about Jackson maybe even a little bit, or do you still feel the same?
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Re: Hadley on Jackson

Hard to argue with stats like those...I especially like, "Jackson has rushed 46 consecutive times without losing yardage."

This part is just plain rediculous, "Jackson basically sold-out some teammates, and coaches last season. Jackson failed to run with authority refusing to look in the mirror...Simply stated, from a personal standpoint… I have no respect for Jackson." Like Hadley knows anything about what went on...what a complete idiot...