Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RamTime Guest

Re: Hadley on Martz (long and pretty good)

For cryin out loud a little league coach is capable of understanding unity and commrodery within a team. Martz is driving wedges between the players and especially certain units/squads. Sorry April we didn't know that you didn't get any of the chosen few. Sorry defense maybe you had good reason to be pissed. For Gawd sakes we lost our dynasty because of this bullcrap. F**k.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only the Rams.

RamTime Guest

Hey Nick, its interesting that this thread does not have very many comments on it I wonder why?
    Dez I am not sure what you received from this article and aside from the lip service of Hadley supporting Martz it is extremely Martz incriminating. Remember Hadley is saying Martz needs to change to win with this team. The changes that are relevant to winning and losing are once again elementary. You don't treat a group of players as heir-apparent and the others second rate. I'd think this thread will dwarf Avengers thread that took in 200 replies since Sunday. If it doesn't then something is really really wrong. Unless of course Avenger giving up on Martz is what most were waitng for. I did find it quite interesting that all of a sudden die hard wagon sitters all jumped at once. Maybe Avenger is a profit and he knows when it's time. Hey all that's left now is peace in the middle east. What do you say Avenger? LOL.
    There is no "I" in "team" but there is in "mIke martz"
    Last edited by RamTime; -12-23-2004 at 10:43 AM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

This is what bothers me the most...
    When Martz ridicules young players for mistakes burying them on the depth chart and/or setting them afloat for many of the same mistakes the "chosen few" perpetuates without being held accountable, the masses begin to meld and a division is formed.
    I mean this is real "Rise & Fall of the Roman Empire" kind of stuff. I have been hoping all along that this very thing was not happening. As long as the problems are not causing divisions in the ranks, this team can be quickly turned around. But after reading this article, it appears that these divisions are already in place and players are wanting to jump ship. This isn't good at all. Something has to give.
    Simply stated, as Martz moves forward as the head coach, he must also advance as a communicator and as importantly a leader, which embraces the masses, not the chosen few.
    The question is...is he capable of doing this? If he can, fine. But if he can't, then I have to admit...he has worn out his welcome. I hope he is capable of this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by RamTime
    Dez I am not sure what you received from this article and aside from the lip service of Hadley supporting Martz it is extremely Martz incriminating. Remember Hadley is saying Martz needs to change to win with this team. The changes that are relevant to winning and losing are once again elementary. You don't treat a group of players as heir-apparent and the others second rate. I'd think this thread will dwarf Avengers thread that took in 200 replies since Sunday. If it doesn't then something is really really wrong. Unless of course Avenger giving up on Martz is what most were waitng for. I did find it quite interesting that all of a sudden die hard wagon sitters all jumped at once. Maybe Avenger is a profit and he knows when it's time. Hey all that's left now is peace in the middle east. What do you say Avenger? LOL.
    There is no "I" in "team" but there is in "mIke martz"
    Well, knowig what I know inside of Rams park, he does hit alot of it on the head.

One of the big problems in this forum is some people try and put you into a catagory. I am not in love with Martz but the guy as a Head coach just makes me think. He has a tonne of faults, yes. But then so does every single coach out there.

I just think that the press in this town jump all over him and anyone else ..... when things dont go right, then try and blame the fans for being so hot headed when its the press fueling the fires.

In this article eh eludes to that and I think fans should maybe, just this once, print that off and read it, as I do, on the toilet bowl. gets you thinking as the blood goes to the head

lakerams Guest

"When Martz ridicules young players for mistakes burying them on the depth chart and/or setting them afloat for many of the same mistakes the "chosen few" perpetuates without being held accountable, the masses begin to meld and a division is formed."

maybe this is why so many FA's have jumped ship. because of Martz' favoritism. they don't want to put up with this crap. I don't blame them. I wouldn't either. that makes for a terrible working environment.

that is plain bad HC'ing. I can't believe the Rams organization let's this crap continue. shame on them.

well first I would stop using crap and start by suggesting things that should be changed. Just ranting on dont get it fixed does it :tough:

lakerams Guest

Dez-

how many times do we need to suggest the same things? I'm starting to sound like a broken record.

game management, balanced game plan, formulate the gamelan to tailor to the other teams weaknesses, quit using timeouts like they're falling from the sky, quit playing favorites within your own team, just to name a few.

like Martz would ever do any of the following! yeah right!

he's had 3 season's to change even just one of his weaknesses and has changed none.

the man is incapable of change. he only knows one way and that's how he plays.

he's an old dog. you can't teach him new tricks.

hey I understand everyone frustration ..... heck I am pissed as everyone else but you know what.

What have we seen in our division this year, we have lost ONE game ...... OK it was the cards and my god it was horrible. But at the same time we have and everyone agrees, a TERRIBLE offencive line, its just terrible. Then what happens ........... they get hurt and Pace plays like ****e.

We are in the throws of the changing of the guard at running back, that does not help.

And Martz has to cope with us and the St Louis media ......................

Hell, I would be eating corn dogs on the sideline if I was Martz.

RamTime Guest

If I were to write a list of the most basic things every coach, manager, supervisor or anyone that is in charge of turning a group of people into a team starting from the most basic and moving up the ladder it would go something like this:

1 Get up and go to work.
    2 Build team unity
    3 keep an eye out for those individuals who wish to destroy commradery.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

...and I wonder:

If you discipline your "stars" the same way you do your backups, would a guy like Torry Holt make that catch in the Carolina game, instead of just non-chalantly alligator arming the attempt, and laugh about it on the sideline?

Now I'm not saying he would have, or that he didn't try to make that grab, but this is the discipline stuff that makes one team better than the next. You can't get complacent. You have to always be pushing to get better, even your so-called "star players".

Coaching 101. Mad Mike, the absent minded professor, and OC extrodinaire.

Still, I think there is no choice but to give him next year as well, as he made this bed, so he needs to sleep in it. Aside from the FO stuff, improve the O'line and linebackers, and who knows?

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Still, I think there is no choice but to give him next year as well, as he made this bed, so he needs to sleep in it.
    Unfortunately, everyone has to sleep in it.

rampete is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by lakerams
    "When Martz ridicules young players for mistakes burying them on the depth chart and/or setting them afloat for many of the same mistakes the "chosen few" perpetuates without being held accountable, the masses begin to meld and a division is formed."

maybe this is why so many FA's have jumped ship. because of Martz' favoritism. they don't want to put up with this crap. I don't blame them. I wouldn't either. that makes for a terrible working environment.

that is plain bad HC'ing. I can't believe the Rams organization let's this crap continue. shame on them.
    preferential treatments to stars of a team by their respective HCs have been going on since the beginning of organized sports. vince lombardi, known to be a displinarian and just plain scary, babied bart starr in comparison to the rest of the packer players, tom landry did the same for his star players, jimmy johnson of dallas past was known for preferential treatments to the big three (aikman,emmitt,irvin), tuna of giants/jets/pats/dallas is renown for looking the other way for his star players, ala LT...

does this make it right? no, by any rationale means when you put it in any social context...but to think professional sports organizations should or will go out of their way to admonish head coaches for loosening the reigns around the star players is... :confused:

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by atcchris
    2000 - Best record in NFL
    10-6 was not the best record in the NFL in 2000. Far from it. The best record was Tennessee's 13-3. In fact, eight teams had better records in 2000 than the Rams while three others tied their record.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by rampete
    preferential treatments to stars of a team by their respective HCs have been going on since the beginning of organized sports. vince lombardi, known to be a displinarian and just plain scary, babied bart starr in comparison to the rest of the packer players, tom landry did the same for his star players, jimmy johnson of dallas past was known for preferential treatments to the big three (aikman,emmitt,irvin), tuna of giants/jets/pats/dallas is renown for looking the other way for his star players, ala LT...

does this make it right? no, by any rationale means when you put it in any social context...but to think professional sports organizations should or will go out of their way to admonish head coaches for loosening the reigns around the star players is... :confused:
    Good points, rampete. I think people who think Martz is the only one to do this in pro sports are being pretty naive.

Hadley even describes this when talking about his two examples from Martz's post-game conference:

Take his most recent press conference. Take two comments in particular that drew the ire of some in the media and many fans... relating to becoming unsettled by the play of Chris Chandler along with the role Marshall Faulk plays on game day.

It seems the favorite topic of discussion in the St. Louis sports world is how can Martz admit being distracted on the sidelines? How can the head coach admit being thrown-off his game for a brief period?

Well, it's a classic case of honesty biting you in the ass.

Do you really think Martz is the first head coach to get sidetracked during a game? Frankly, I'd be shocked if one current coach in the NFL hasn't been sidetracked at least on a few occasions during his career.

Simply stated, Martz set himself setup for criticism... and the masses obliged. While I appreciated the fact he was honest, it's unfortunate that the masses chose to feast on the "comment carcass."

The second item on the "blitz Martz" campaign relates to him addressing the fact that Faulk has "pull" in deciding which running back is in the lineup. Once again, I was not surprised, but intrigued, that a player can determine his own fate along with his teammates on game day.

Well, now the talk is all about not paying attention to which player is on the field, blah, blah, and blah.

Number one, many of the same media that are now taking shots at Martz are the same people that have said time again that Faulk "is like having a coach on the field." I've heard numerous media members talk about the fact that Faulk has the greatest comprehension of the game of any player they've covered.

If that is true, what is wrong having a say in personnel? If Faulk is like "having a coach on the field" or possessing incredible, game comprehension... why shouldn't he be heard from on the sidelines or in the huddle?

Do you think Faulk is the first player to possess such freedom? Obviously that's not the case, the only difference is the fact that Martz was honest in sharing the fact.

Do you really think that Martz is the first coach that failed to realize a certain player wasn't on the field in a given situation? I've heard broadcasters mention numerous times this season that a player wasn't on the field in a given situation with the position coach was taking a verbal lashing from the head coach. How many times have you watched a game witnessing a team calling a timeout to change personnel?

Just asking, when a team has two few or too many players on the field isn't that lack of personnel awareness? How many times has the position coach or coordinator been chastised for the blunder without having the whole city insinuating that he's incompetent?
    Hadley basically set Martz up for criticism by discussing the treatment of certain players compared to others, and people bit on it, seemingly not reading the rest of the article where Hadley illustrates that Martz's tactics are more widespread than people think. People here these things about Martz and think they're exclusive to him and bad coaching, and that's why he needs to go. This kind of stuff happens to everyone, and I would place a very hefty bet that half of the teams in the league have some kind of problem with this issue of some players having more wiggle room than others.

That doesn't make them right, but he wasn't the first and sure won't be the last to do it. If some people think it's such an injustice, perhaps they should travel down to their local little league or youth games and nip it at the bud. As someone who participated in youth sports up until high school, there was ALWAYS a case of this in everything I did.

Personally, while I see no reason to crucify Martz for these crimes since he's far from the only person to do it I'm sure, I hope it all changes. The discipline level on this team has me disappointed, not only because of the things listed in this article, but also because of the number of penalties this team - specifically the offensive line - pile up because of stupid mistakes. Something should have been said or done to Torry Holt after those 2-3 false start penalties he had in that one game. If nothing was done, then that policy needs changed. All players need to be responsible for their play. If you tear down one guy for making a fumble, then you'd better be tearing down Isaac Bruce for it, too. Hopefully the Rams staff comes to some kind of understanding on how to treat all players fairly and with respect, if indeed this is as significant of a problem as Hadley makes it out to be.
    Last edited by Nick; -12-23-2004 at 05:42 PM.

atcchris is offline Registered User

10-6 was not the best record in the NFL in 2000. Far from it. The best record was Tennessee's 13-3. In fact, eight teams had better records in 2000 than the Rams while three others tied their record.
    Sorry, I put it in the wrong year. That should have been with 2001.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast