RamWraith is offline Registered User

Hadley/Pasquarelli comments

From Jon Hadley-

Coach Mike Martz & Co. are on pace to set a franchise record for most wins in a decade. This decade (2000-2004) the Rams have won 51 regular season games. Rams CB Jerametrius Butler is one of two players in the NFL to register six or more takeaways in each of the last two seasons… the other is Baltimore’s Edward Reed.

From Len Pasquarelli-

… How enamored are the St. Louis Rams of veteran linebacker Dexter Coakley, signed as a free agent only a day after his release by the Dallas Cowboys? Coach Mike Martz has already named Coakley a team captain. Coakley, by the way, will play the strong side spot in 2005 after eight seasons of mostly lining up at weak-side linebacker.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Re: Hadley/Pasquarelli comments

Rams CB Jerametrius Butler is one of two players in the NFL to register six or more takeaways in each of the last two seasons… the other is Baltimore’s Edward Reed.
    Wow! Did not know that.

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    From Jon Hadley-

Coach Mike Martz & Co. are on pace to set a franchise record for most wins in a decade. This decade (2000-2004) the Rams have won 51 regular season games.

From Len Pasquarelli-

That's not so impressive when you consider the '90s were a washout and the 70's and earlier played 14 or fewer regular season games. So, that just means we are doing better than the so-so '80's... big whoop.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyhater
    That's not so impressive when you consider the '90s were a washout and the 70's and earlier played 14 or fewer regular season games. So, that just means we are doing better than the so-so '80's... big whoop.
    I dunno - Overall our Rams have a rich tradition of winning. You are right about there being fewer games played in earlier decades. However, I think we have to look at the level of league wide competition during those years. Was it as close as it has been in the most recent decade? I don't think so.

Another thing to consider is the "salary cap" and the effect it has had on the Rams ability to keep key players.

All things considered, I do not think 51 wins, thus far, is anything to scoff at.

:ramlogo:

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    I dunno - Overall our Rams have a rich tradition of winning. You are right about there being fewer games played in earlier decades. However, I think we have to look at the level of league wide competition during those years. Was it as close as it has been in the most recent decade? I don't think so.

Another thing to consider is the "salary cap" and the effect it has had on the Rams ability to keep key players.

All things considered, I do not think 51 wins, thus far, is anything to scoff at.
    Great points Ferter that I completely agree with. To average over 10 wins a season after the loss of talent, the distractions, the controversies and the injuries is a big deal IMO. We had a lot of great teams in the 70's and 80's, and after an almost unbearable decade of decline in the 90's, it's great to see what has happened so far this decade. 51 wins is indeed nothing to scoff at.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Here's the breakdown by decade:
    decade --- wins-losses-ties winning %
    40's --- 50-45-5 .500
    50's --- 68-49-3 .567
    60's --- 63-68-7 .457
    70's --- 98-42-4 .681
    80's --- 86-66-0 .566
    90's --- 58-102-0 .363
    00's --- 51-29-0 .638

00's (projected) 102-58 .638
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ramhard is offline Registered User

Look at percentage

So if you look at percentage it says that the only decade that is better was the 70's where the Rams won at a better clip. I think you couple the Superbowl win and appearance with the 2nd best decade winning percentage, and I think it is a strong argument for the best decade in the Rams history (though I am partial to teams with nicknames like Deacon, the Fearsome Foursome, etc.). We need some more nicknames on this team...GSOT wasn't bad though.