throwback week

Rambos is offline Registered User

Hagans Coming on Strong in Second Season

Hagans Coming on Strong in Second Season
    Tuesday, August 21, 2007

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

When Marques Hagans first arrived in St. Louis, he was in a difficult spot similar to most rookies.

Without the knowledge of the offense or really much information about St. Louis in general, Hagans had the deer in headlights look of any rookie. Compounding matters was the fact that Hagans was being asked to play receiver, a position he hadn’t been too familiar with in his time as a quarterback at the University of Virginia.

Additionally, Hagans was timid, even for a rookie. He mostly kept to himself until one day veterans and potential Hall of Famers Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt opened up the floodgates.

“You definitely want to give veterans their space because they have earned it,” Hagans said. “You don’t want to really reach out to them until they reach out to you. So once they opened the line of communications, I just tried to be like a sponge and soak up everything that I could.”

Now that the line is open, Hagans is certainly not afraid to use it. The toughest adjustment for any player learning the receiver position has nothing to do with catching the ball; it’s all about route running.

Hagans found himself in a most fortunate situation, working with two of the best in the business in that area in Holt and Bruce in addition to receivers coach Henry Ellard. Many consider Bruce to be one of the best route runners of all time.

“Isaac and Torry just every day constantly drill me with the fundamentals, making sure you have the depth and patience to run the routes,” Hagans said. “Every day I go out and try to work on that.”

Bruce, in particular, has been the most influential in Hagans’ development. In Bruce’s online blog, he talks about taking Hagans under his wing and teaching him the finer points of how to play on the field and how to conduct himself off it.

Included in those lessons are tips on how to eat right, working out to build stamina and, of course, route running.

When coach Scott Linehan is asked what area Hagans has improved the most as a receiver, he doesn’t hesitate to answer.

“Route running,” Linehan said. “He’s made that transformation from a quarterback to hopefully a returner and receiver and into a guy who can play the position. He’s catching the ball consistently with his hands and becoming a lot better route runner, so as far as his timing with the quarterbacks now you feel comfortable going in that direction because you know he’s on top of his game there. I think he’s really worked hard at getting the timing part of the offense down.”

Hagans originally made the 2006 squad as a receiver and returner coming out of camp after being selected in the fifth round. But Hagans was released soon after the final round of cuts and re-signed to the practice squad. He stayed on the practice squad for the duration of the season, but didn’t let the setback slow him.

Hagans continued to learn from the likes of Bruce, Holt and Ellard and came back to the team’s minicamps more prepared to make an impact. In this preseason, that’s exactly what Hagans has done.

After two games, Hagans has been one of the team’s leading receivers including a five-catch, 71-yard, one touchdown outing against the Chargers last week. And Hagans hasn’t just improved as a receiver.

Hagans has also made an impact in his limited opportunities as a returner. In the opener against Minnesota, Hagans had a punt return for 25 yards and a kick return for another 30.

With Dominique Thompson out with a rib injury, the crease has become larger for Hagans to land a roster spot. It seems Bruce, Holt, Drew Bennett, Dante Hall and Dane Looker are secure in their spots, leaving a competition for one final spot on the receiver depth chart.

“I don’t really think about it,” Hagans said. “The main thing is going back to the drawing board this week and trying to get better and be consistent. At the end of the preseason we will evaluate that and go from there.”

The always humble Hagans refuses to handicap his chances to make the final roster; But Linehan isn’t quite so hesitant to shower the young receiver with the praise he has worked so hard to earn.

“He’s making progress towards that,” Linehan said. “He’s taking great advantage of the opportunities he’s getting that he maybe wouldn’t have gotten had we not had an injury to a receiver, especially with the second unit, so he’s making progress towards giving himself a chance to be on this roster.”

Hagans thought he made the roster last year, so he took the lesson of the early euphoria followed by supreme letdown to heart and won’t settle until he has established himself as a force to be reckoned with in the league.

“I still have a long way to go, but I am just trying to get better each day,” Hagans said. “I’m definitely proud of the progress I have made, but I am not content. Every day you wake up and you are blessed with the opportunity to play in the NFL you just try to do the best you can and show the coaches what you can do.”

RAM BITS: The Rams were back to health for the most part Tuesday with guard Richie Incognito (ankle) and center Brett Romberg (ankle) back to work. Tackle Todd Steussie (neck), safety Jerome Carter (sprained arch in his foot) and Thompson (ribs) were the only non-participants in the workout…quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick threw without pain Tuesday afternoon and should be ready to return if needed against the Raiders…Linehan said the tentative plan is to have most of the starters play the entire first half in Oakland with the second unit and selected others getting the bulk of the second half work…Funeral arrangements for Kathy Garrett have been arranged. Please see the accompanying story on stlouisrams.com for the information.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Hagans Coming on Strong in Second Season

[Bruce showing Hagans]...how to conduct himself off it[the field].
    Oh, that it SO important! Especially coming from a veteran like Sir Isaac to a young and very talented Hagans. Learn well young man, learn from one of the very best.

I'm liking the idea of keeping Hagans. It might turn out to be "very nice", seeing Dante Hall and Marques Hagan back there waiting to make a plentiful play on kick returns.

Now wouldn't it...

RealRam is offline Registered User

I'm hoping that this kid [Hagans] makes it through the waiver wire and get's a spot on the developement team, because next year he would be on the roster. Everyone know's that this kid has awesome character, and with some help, could be a fantastic pro. I was totally impressed with his skills in the receiving and return game. If he can stay on the Rams and learn from the vet's about blocking routes, and shine his all around game, he would have a bright future.
    -- Keith M. Klink

Just found this on the 'How's Hagans Doing' thread. :r

blood85 Guest

He would be a nice addition to the team.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Oh, that it SO

I'm liking the idea of keeping Hagans. It might turn out to be "very nice", seeing Dante Hall and Marques Hagan back there waiting to make a plentiful play on kick returns.

Now wouldn't it...
    Linehan has said that Travis Minor would be the guy back there with Dante' Hall.

RamOfDenmark Guest

It's looking good for Hagans as far as getting a roster spot this year. I've been impressed with Stanley also, but after the Chargers game Hagans is the frontrunner, another game like that and I think he's in for sure. And yeah, Dante Hall & Marques Hagans back to return a kickoff sounds pretty good, they're both quite capable, Hall especially is going to be so much better than what we've had in a while.