Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Half of Ramsí 10-man 2012 draft class has gotten in trouble

chucknbob is offline Registered User

Re: Half of Ramsí 10-man 2012 draft class has gotten in trouble

He forgot one... Steven Jackson got benched early in the season after getting mad and spiking the ball. Of course he inhereted that problem child. We all know what a handfull he was to deal with

I agree that we take on some guys with character flaws. The 1 game suspensions of Jenkins and Givens last season don't worry me in the least. IMO Fisher threw the book at them and used them as examples that his rules had to be followed by everyone.

As far as the substance abuse, a one game suspension isn't a major punishment. Typically you see 4 game suspensions for the first offense, which tells me this is minor. It's something to be aware of, but nothing to concern me... yet.

the DUI is bad news.

"got into a little trouble in high school" I think that sounds like everyones high school career. He was a kid then, As long as he wasn't stabbing people or stealing cars I don't consider this an issue.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I think this article is making a mountain out of a mole hill. Comparing the Rams roster to the troubled Lions roster please. The Lions coaches had no control on the field and clearly had none off the field with the six Lions arrested last year SIX ARREST!

Fisher showed he will always put his team first when he sat Givens and Jenkins for being LATE! He clearly set the tone for the rules on this team. In doing so he was not afraid to shine the light on himself ( he took these guys). He could have easily not made this a public matter but he did. Do you think that if Suh was late for curfew the Lions staff would have done the same? I don't.

Only time will tell if Fisher is putting a team together that will implode. It's a bit early IMO to compare the Lions to the Rams off field concerns.
    Last edited by Rambos; -06-03-2013 at 12:24 PM.

RealRam is offline Registered User

That is correct Rambos. No real problem here and as is usually implied around this time of the year, articles like these regarding "bad" boys are simply tabloid material.

BTW, not all kids get into trouble in HS; 'problem' is that not all of them become good players in the NFL!

Managing brats in any kind of organization is common need and common responsibility. Yes, too many collegiate athletes that shine and promise simply don't have the moral fortitude, i.e., character, to be self motivated in this aspect of their careers; they may come from poor, broken homes, single parents, etc. Their stories are well known and, their part in society -- pro sports or otherwise -- is old news. But that's what managing is all about, whether it comes from teachers, parents, mentors, drill seargents, and coaches ... or sometimes by the headmaster himself: EXPERIENCE.

At this point I too trust in Coach Fisher. He seems to reel in the manageable catch.

Then as others have also posted, we have proven leaders in the Rams locker room for insurance.

"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."
    — Paul Dickson
    Last edited by RealRam; -06-03-2013 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Format

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I find it interesting that Florio is trying to make the case that a substantial number of the red flagged players Fisher has drafted with the Rams have proven to be problems, then has to use Pead, Watkins and Richardson as examples, despite the fact that none of them were reported as having character issues coming out of college.

His assumptions are disingenuous on so many levels.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I find it interesting that Florio is trying to make the case that a substantial number of the red flagged players Fisher has drafted with the Rams have proven to be problems, then has to use Pead, Watkins and Richardson as examples, despite the fact that none of them were reported as having character issues coming out of college.

His assumptions are disingenuous on so many levels.
    Now that is a great point Mike!

Maybe because the guys Fisher took a chance on have so far produced.

Jenkins was up for DROY

Givens made a hell of a showing and is now considered our number one deep threat.

Tru was on the field and made some key plays, the INT to close out the Hawks comes to mind.

I guess it's easy to just lump them all together and if anyone makes a mistake it has to be because Fisher always takes players that have issues.

If I'm not mistaken Pettis was taken under the four pillar regime. My point is any young man can make a mistake at any time.

Some people may not like what I'm going to say next, but having guys with issues that are loaded with talent. Can be looked at as the cost of doing business.

...Having guys with issues that are loaded with talent can be looked at as the cost of doing business.
    - Rambos
    Or, managing it as I had mentioned in previous post.

Again, for the most part on this subject we're dealing with tabloid material.

Our Rams rookies / very young players are on their way to cosolidate a strong contender team!
    Last edited by RealRam; -06-03-2013 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Emoticon

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I think this article is making a mountain out of a mole hill.
    Bingo. Don't think anything else really needs to be said.
    MauiRam likes this.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Bingo. Don't think anything else really needs to be said.
    It took sixteen posts before someone (Rambos) hit the nail on the head. During the offseason I am occasionally afflicted with "pot stirring" inclinations . I posted this to see how long it would take before someone called B.S. on it. Good job there Rambos! In a side note I really expected Av to jump all over it big time. He must be lawyering it up somewhere - or perhaps he opted not to dignify it with a response - never know what you're gonna get with Av ..

As far as Fish appearing to take chances on talented players with character concerns I donít worry about it that much. Jeff knows the risks involved, as heís had plenty of experience dealing with that sort of thing. Jeff trusts his instincts - instincts honed by both mistakes and successes.

Coach has his finger on the pulse of this team Ė that much is sure. If we lose a player because said player makes a dumb decision, I doubt the whole team will suddenly cave. An example was when Jenkins and Givens were benched. We really could have used those guys to get a win. The team played pretty well without them after all.

Hopefully Fish can coach up all of these kids to not only perform well on the field, but to excel as good human beings in their lives far beyond football.

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    It took sixteen posts before someone (Rambos) hit the nail on the head.
    LOL! Including three posts throughout the thread from Rambos himself! [No offence Rambos]

Besides, I thought Nick put it best just a couple of posts ago:

"Don't think anything else really needs to be said."

PS:
    "I posted this to see how long it would take before someone called B.S. on it."
    ...Honestly Maui?

Last edited by RealRam; -06-04-2013 at 12:33 AM. Reason: Ram

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12