AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Handicapping the WR Prospects

Here's how I see the Rams WR prospects in terms of (1) chance of making the roster, and (2) chance of starting. I presume that the Rams will keep 5-6 WRs on the active roster.

Donnie Avery
    Roster: 100%
    Starter: 100%
    Pros: Avery had a productive rookie season, despite playing with a hairline fracture in his hip. He is as fast as any WR in the league, and has underrated hands and route-running skills. His success will be a key for the offense.
    Cons: Needs to show he can stay healthy and handle the burden of being the number one target.

Keenan Burton
    Roster: 100%
    Starter: 60%
    Pros: A fairly polished product out of college, Burton has a good combination of speed, route-running, hands and jumping ability. The number two spot is his to lose.
    Cons: The hope is that his nagging knee issues are behind him. From an NFL experience standpoint, he's still very much like a rookie.

Laurent Robinson
    Roster: 90%
    Starter: 25%
    Pros: Devaney obviously saw something he liked in this kid. Was promising as a rookie. Has good size and speed.
    Cons: Quickly fell out of favor in second year in Atlanta after he was labeled as a guy who wouldn't play through a minor injury.

Ronald Curry
    Roster: 75%
    Starter: 10%
    Pros: As odd as it may seem, he is the most experienced WR on the roster. He has very good size and runs well after the catch. A good fit for the West Coast style passing game.
    Cons: When the Raiders and Lions don't want you, it probably means something. Has had injury problems and his productivity has decreased in recent years.

Tim Carter
    Roster: 50%
    Starter: 5%
    Pros: Was productive in the past, and is reportedly in very good shape. Always has had great speed.
    Cons: Rust has to be a factor at this point.

Brooks Foster
    Roster: 80%
    Starter: 0%
    Pros: Great size and speed. Will almost certainly make the roster, even if only as a project.
    Cons: Injuries limited his playing time in college, so he comes in pretty raw.

Derek Stanley
    Roster: 40%
    Pros: His best asset is his ability to return kicks.
    Cons: Coming off a knee injury, he must show he hasn't lost a step.

The Field (Chad Lucas, Travis Brown, Jarrett Byers, Horace Gant, Nate Jones, Sean Walker)
    Roster: 20%
    Is there a sleeper in this group? Probably not, but you never know until they put on the pads.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Handicapping the WR Prospects

I dunno if I'd even give the chance to start to Carter, but you never know. I'd also probably give more of a chance to start to Robinson, just because he does have more experience than Burton, and that could help him win the job easier, but it ends up coming down to who performs better when catching passes from Bulger, no?

For the #2 slot I think that I'd handicap it as 50% Burton, 40% Robinson, and 10% Curry.

bruce4life is online now Registered User

I think you are gonna see a combo of Curry, Robinson, and Burton in on the 2nd receiver. Different sets will call for different receiver packages that will suit to their skill set.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I think Curry can start.... in the slot. Avery is the number 1 guy. Whos the number 2, I think it is possible Robinson has gained some ground because Burton has been out for a long time with his hammy issue. I think Robinson can take the number 2 job, he's an underdog, but I think he can stay more healthy than his also injury prone counterpart Burton.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I think whoever is still healthy at the end of camp will be the starter. Burton, Curry and Robinson all have a history of injuries. Burton has a history through college and his lone season in the pros of battling injuries. Robinson was out last season due to injuries. I think overall, Robinson is the better prospect and most likely to win the job.

Was Robinson really a guy who was labeled someone who wouldn't play through a minor injury? He was out the entire first season of a new coach who had a pretty dynamic offense. I'd say he just got lost in the shuffle and they shifted priorities. It happens pretty often. Look at Brian Leonard and Pisa.

TheBritishRam is online now Registered User

Well you can scratch Chad Lucas' name from "the field" he's been released.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    I I'd also probably give more of a chance to start to Robinson, just because he does have more experience than Burton, and that could help him win the job easier, but it ends up coming down to who performs better when catching passes from Bulger, no?

For the #2 slot I think that I'd handicap it as 50% Burton, 40% Robinson, and 10% Curry.
    I tend to agree. I don't think Burton did quite enough last year for the job to be "his to lose". He had all of 13 catches, and with a new coach in town, it won't even be the same system. I think it ought to be more or less an open competition.