MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Hard Work Pays Off For Rams' Gibson ..

By BILL COATS Posted: Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:45 am

The first significant depth-chart move of Rams training camp came last week, when defensive tackle Gary Gibson was promoted to the first team ahead of Clifton Ryan.

Gibson has "played well in the whole training camp (and) he had a good game against Minnesota," coach Steve Spagnuolo said. "You reward guys that play pretty good."

Gibson started in Saturday's 19-17 victory at Cleveland and figures to be in the lineup again Thursday when the Rams take on New England in Foxborough, Mass.

"It's a great feeling," Gibson said, "especially after working so hard."

Signed as a free agent in April 2009, Gibson earned a first-team spot in training camp last year and started the first five games of the regular season. He suffered a season-ending broken ankle against Minnesota. Recovery was long and painful.

"It took a good six months for the bone to heal," said the 6-foot-4, 305-pound Gibson. "Then I had a plate in there, so it had to set and everything. But once it felt good, it wasn't a problem after that."

Gibson, 28, has recorded a quarterback hit in both preseason contests. "I feel like I have a good first step off the ball, and a lot of times if you can get that edge, it catapults you into the backfield," he said. "I've always been this kind of player since I was young, a penetrating type guy.

"I'm really just trying to go full-tilt all the time and just do what the coaches ask. That's the biggest thing. And try to make plays."

The front four rotation figures to include Gibson, Ryan, Fred Robbins and Darell Scott. It could develop into a formidable unit, Gibson said.

"Especially after being in the coaching system for a second year," he explained. "It's not a question of thinking about what's going on; you're more thinking about, 'Let's go.'"

getting healthy

After battling a hamstring injury that first popped up in mid-June, then resurfaced during camp, wide receiver Brandon Gibson is finally healthy and fighting for a roster spot.

"I'm excited about getting back on the field," he said. "I feel like I'm going to go out there and give my best effort and continue to prove that I belong here."

Gibson arrived with a bang last season after being acquired from Philadelphia in a trade for linebacker Will Witherspoon. In his second game with the Rams, Gibson had seven catches for 93 yards against New Orleans.

He finished the season with 34 receptions for 348 yards, the third-highest total on the squad. But with 10 wideouts fighting for five or six roster spots, Gibson knows he's guaranteed nothing.

"Absolutely. But I enjoy it," he said. "Competition is what makes this league."

Gibson insisted that he wasn't placing any extra importance on the final two preseason games. "Not really," he said. "I just want to make sure I do the right thing when I'm on the field and make plays when the time comes."

trautwein is hurt

Tackle Phil Trautwein left the field on a cart Tuesday after injuring his right knee. An MRI exam was planned.

Wide receiver Mardy Gilyard suited up but didn't participate for a second day because of illness. Wideout Keenan Burton, absent Monday because of a family emergency, returned to practice.

DOUGLAS HEADED TO IR

Linebacker Dominic Douglas, who has been out with a hamstring injury, was put on the waived/injured list and eventually will be placed on injured reserved. He was replaced on the roster by another linebacker, 6-1, 239-pound Devin Bishop.

A product of the University of California, Bishop signed with Denver as an undrafted rookie but was released Friday.

RAM-BLINGS

Tuesday's practice marked the official end of training camp. The team's practices during the rest of the preseason and regular season will be closed to the public. ... At least some of the starters are expected to play the entire first half and possibly into the third quarter against the Patriots, who are 2-0 in the preseason.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Re: Hard Work Pays Off For Rams' Gibson ..

You know what, Im very proud of the way Spags is handling this team and the rest of the FO, and also proud of Gibson for earning said spot. Gary Gibson, since he came to this team, has always impressed me "not flashy or getting sacks-wise but just being a fundamentally good serviceable player with flashes of upside. If a guy plays better than the starter, then you reward him with more playing time or even a starting spot. Thats good for him. I like that

So. Question. What does this mean? Does this mean that Gary will START this season, and Clifton Ryan moves to the 2nd unit ? Not that I mind at all ,I mean , Spags would only field the seemingly best starters, and Gary DID look good last year.

GO RAMS 2010

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Gary did look good last year until he was injured, but Ryan looked good as well (he was one of our few bright spots on defense). I haven't really seen a big difference in either guys play this preseason, but appearantly "Spags" has seen enough in practice to promote Gary, however Ryan was continuing to improve so I hate to see a guy get demoted, but this may not be a huge issue due to the fact that the Rams rotate so many guys in & out of the D-line during a game...this may also cause Ryan to improve.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Yeah I'm a big Clifton Ryan fan, but if this is due to Gibson playing well rather than Ryan ending up in the doghouse then there's not much to dislike here.

If the DT we have on the roster can prove to do an adequate job this year (and that's still an 'if' in my book), I think it will go a long way to making us a competitive team.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Ryan was probably our best and most consistent DT maybe D-lineman in general. Its also not like Ryan has been terrible this preseason he has actually played pretty well getting a sack last game. In spags deep rotation Ryan will obviously get plenty of reps and being our best run defending DT he should get plenty of early down work.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I must say it is nice for the coaching staff to get to decide who starts based upon players improving and showing that they can play well, as opposed to who sucks the least.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Berg8309 View Post
    I must say it is nice for the coaching staff to get to decide who starts based upon players improving and showing that they can play well, as opposed to who sucks the least.
    Well said! I've been rooting for Ryan but it's great to have Gibson in there; maybe they'll be rotating quite a bit. Either way, good to see an apparent improvement in our DT strengths at this point.

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

While Gibson is the starter, i can't see him getting significantly more plays than Ryan

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I hope the Gibson promotion is due to Gibson playing well rather than Ryan playing mediocre.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Congratulations to Gibson. He did have a pretty good preseason in 2009, as well, supplanting Carriker as the projected starter. Hopefully, the competition with Ryan will push both to play harder. We need everybody firing on all cylinders on that line.