39thebeast is offline Registered User

Has anyone noticed?

Has anyone noticed the different approach to rookies this year. This time last year Jason Smith and James Lauranatis were both on the second team. Smith didn't get his starting spot till late in the preseason it took lauranatis much less time and Brad Fletcher had to wait a couple games into the regular season. If you look at this year Roger Safold is already the first team left tackle, Sam Bradford is alternating reps with the first unit and Murphy is also getting plenty of Burn. It was inevitable the more talented younger players were going to play. Fletcher outplayed Wade by far, Smith was a better tackle than Goldberg, Lauranatis miles better than Chris Draft who we released anyways. I think the coaches learned there lesson from last year and even with all the vets added the young guys are going to get the majority of the playtime.

CT_RamsFan is offline Registered User

Re: Has anyone noticed?

With all the wins weve been getting the past few yrs I think change was in line lol.I trust Spags only he truly knows these players.Good catch though your right.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    If you look at this year Roger Safold is already the first team left tackle
    My money is on him staying there as well .. When Smith's toe heals sufficiently for him to fully participate in all camp activities, no doubt he'll get reps at LT as well, as I don't think for a minute Spags was kidding about versatility. However it turns out, I just hope both guys can stay on the field for a full season ..

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

I think Saffold can be attributed to our lack of other proven options at LT. Last year we had Barron who had a good camp and was a 4 year veteran at the time. This year who do we have besides Saffold and Smith? Trautwein?

I think they are wisely getting the rookies more work and instead of sitting back and giving a rookie the job they rotate them in to give them that first team taste and see how they play. I'd assume if they outplay the favorite for the spot then they will get the spot.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Many of the Clan members (including myself) have stated in the past that the young guys won't learn standing on the sidelines. It's nice to see Spags and Devaney have taken our advice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    I think Saffold can be attributed to our lack of other proven options at LT. Last year we had Barron who had a good camp and was a 4 year veteran at the time. This year who do we have besides Saffold and Smith? Trautwein?

I think that may be exactly it. Last year we at least had veterans at positions to keep the first team until the rookies got up to speed. Now we don't seem to have that luxury. I don't think we'll need to worry about players feeling like they're entitled to more though. I think they still get the message.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't think it represents a shift in thinking as much as it is a case of different personnel and depth at these positions.

Lasy year, Smith had Goldberg to compete with. Goldberg isn't a stud, but he's probably harder competition than the present group of tackles Saffold is up against (Renardo Foster, Eric Young, Ryan McKee, and Phil Trautwein). At linebacker, the Rams had Chris Draft in front of Laurinaitis to start, but James was getting first team reps before eventually winning the starting job in the second week of August.

So it's not surprising to me that Saffold is already in the mix; the Rams don't have a lot of better options on the table. As for Bradford, it's not surprising he's getting first team work because A.J. Feeley, though serviceable, isn't extraordinary. It'll be interesting to see when Sam becomes the starter; does he open the regular season as the starter at his position like Jason Smith did, or do they hold him out for a few more games after that?

I don't think the Rams are going to rush Sam onto the field, but with a $50 million guaranteed price tag, they'll want to see some kind of return on that investment sooner rather than later. So I don't think it'll be long before he wins that job.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!