Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By macrammer
  • 1 Post By Fargo Ram Fan
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams

Thread: Has the light turned on for Quick?

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Has the light turned on for Quick?

By Jim Thomas

In a few weeks, a couple of months, it may be quickly forgotten. But in the here and now, Brian Quick’s 41-yard catch-and-run symbolizes all that he can be to a Rams offense in need of consistent, big-play receivers.

It shows a quarterback developing trust in a young wide receiver. And perhaps it’s a sign that the light switch has been turned on for the third-year pro from Appalachian State.

For two-plus seasons, the Rams have been working on Quick to use his body and wealth of athletic talent to make the tough catch. To aggressively pursue the contested ball in traffic and come down with it.

And there it was Saturday against Green Bay: a deep in-route, a leap, arms stretching for the ball, veteran Packers cornerback Sam Shields in tight coverage ... and a catch.

“Those are the type of plays that we expect him to make,” quarterback Sam Bradford said. “We’ve seen him make them all during OTAs. All during training camp. I think he’s had a great camp. But for him to go out there (Saturday) and do it in a game — that’s big. I think that’s a big step for our offense.”

As the first player taken in the second round of the 2012 draft, much was expected of Quick. But he has been slow to come around, making the adjustment from a smaller college (Appalachian State) with a limited playbook.

With playing time sparse, Quick managed just 29 catches for 458 yards and four touchdowns over his first two NFL seasons. That makes year three critical for Quick as a Ram and as an NFL player.

“He knows he’s got to pick it up,” wide receivers coach Ray Sherman said. “He knows that. And that’s the thing with young receivers — some guys come along faster than others. We knew this was gonna be a big year for him, and he’s really shown that he’s ready to accept that challenge.”

During Quick’s first two seasons in the league, the usual practice conversation with Sherman was one-sided and went something like this: “Quickie, do this. Quickie, do that. What about this, Quickie?”

With Sherman doing all the talking.

This season, things have at least reached the point where Quick knows what the mistake is when it happens before Sherman can even get a word in.

“Sometimes, I’ll just look and he’ll say: ‘I got it, Coach. I know,’” Sherman said. “So he knows what he’s doing and what he should do.”

Quick has never been considered a slacker on the practice field, but he’s turned things up a notch, starting with his offseason work at Proactive Sports Performance near Los Angeles.

He ran the hills in Runyon Canyon, worked out on the beach in Malibu at a performance center whose clients include Aaron Rodgers, Colin Kaepernick and Von Miller.

“It was a different atmosphere,” said Quick, who had roamed around to various places for his offseason training in previous years. “I did a lot of training there. We got good work in.”

Sherman has noticed that Quick has become a more mature student of the game, in terms of focus and note-taking in the meeting room, and studying at home.

“He wants to make sure that he does everything the right way,” Sherman said. “I’m talking about depth of routes. I’m talking about landmarks. I’m talking about your motions. He’s really taken it to another level, and that’s what I’m excited about.”

Whether it’s before practice, after practice, or sometimes both, Quick can be found catching balls from the JUGs machine at Rams Park, basically on a daily basis. As a result, drops have been few and far between during camp.

“That’s something I’ve got to do as a receiver,” Quick says. “Perfect my craft and make sure I do the things I need to do.”

The more consistent play from Quick on the practice field has built up trust with Bradford. You can talk all you want about play-calling and the lack of deep balls in the Rams’ offense — if the quarterback doesn’t trust the receiver, he’s not going to throw it deep, or throw it, period.

“I always tell them, you make sure to be where you’re supposed to be,” Sherman said. “So the quarterback will have confidence knowing that you’re gonna be there. That’s the important thing.

“If the quarterback doesn’t have confidence in you, he’s not throwing it to you. Seriously. That’s the way they are.”

And that simple fact, more than even the big catch itself, made Quick’s day Saturday.

“Sam trusted me,” Quick said. “He let it go. That’s the best part ... to have Sam trust me.”

Bradford trusted Quick so much, he came back to him three plays later. On this play, Quick was in the process of getting past Shields on another deep route. Shields saved a touchdown by grabbing onto Quick for a pass interference penalty. The 15-yard flag set up the Rams’ only touchdown of the game.

“It’s night and day with Quickie,” Bradford said. “He’s always been tremendously talented, but I think we’re starting to see him really put everything together.”

Or as coach Jeff Fisher put it: “I believe that he’s crossed the line now. He’s able to take what he’s doing in practice and carry it over to a game.”

I'm really tempted to drink some of the Kool-aid - but then I keep thinking of the "Peanuts" cartoon. Man I hope they are finally right ..

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Has the light turned on for Quick?

The old three year acclimation period maybe has shifted towards a two year when it comes to pro style and advanced spread offenses, but for a lesser program like A. State, I think we're seeing why it used to be known as a three year period.

I'm absolutely hoping for Quick to break out this year, and I may just back it up by taking a last round flier on him in fantasy drafts this year.
    I believe!

macrammer is offline Registered User

I hope so.....But I need to see it on the field in the regular season........No kool-aid for me.
    live4ramin and ramsbruce like this.

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    The old three year acclimation period maybe has shifted towards a two year when it comes to pro style and advanced spread offenses, but for a lesser program like A. State, I think we're seeing why it used to be known as a three year period.

I'm absolutely hoping for Quick to break out this year, and I may just back it up by taking a last round flier on him in fantasy drafts this year.
    Far be it from me to hijack a thread, but you should come join us for Clanram Fantasy this year, Teke!

I think Quick is going to be much improved on last year - if he were able to produce 50 catches for 700 yards I'd consider that a valuable contribution and a reasonable expectation.

demiurge is offline Registered User

I concur - I think he shows as a solid receiving option this year to go with his excellent blocking skills.

I think this is going to be a VERY nasty team by the end of the year and if they make the playoffs could definitely surprise some folks.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Far be it from me to hijack a thread, but you should come join us for Clanram Fantasy this year, Teke!

I think Quick is going to be much improved on last year - if he were able to produce 50 catches for 700 yards I'd consider that a valuable contribution and a reasonable expectation.

I would be absolutely ecstatic with those kind of numbers. If he becomes a force like that think of how much it could open things up for Austin and Cook.

Heh.....I might actually have to take back a lot of the stuff I've said about the guy for the last 2+ years.

Oh well, it would be my pleasure to do so........

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post

A very valuable contribution indeed, and a reasonable expectation. Agreed.

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    I see 55-60 catches, 750-800 yards , 6 tds

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    I see 55-60 catches, 750-800 yards , 6 tds
    I would be over the moon with that stat line because it likely means more opporunities for Austin in space, Cook over the middle, and Britt deep.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

I'll just be over here reminding people that this kid was taken instead of the then...still available...Alshon Jeffery. I would be thrilled to see him make me forget that.
    sosa39rams likes this.

Mikey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan View Post
    I'll just be over here reminding people that this kid was taken instead of the then...still available...Alshon Jeffery. I would be thrilled to see him make me forget that.
    I'll play devils advocate to your statement and say there's no way at all that Alshon puts up those numbers he did last year if he was on the Rams. And if Quick doesn't match Alshons numbers it doesn't mean he wasn't good for us this year. The Rams run a totally different offense from the Bears and our offense won't put up those kind of numbers for wr's like the Bears did.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    I hope so.....But I need to see it on the field in the regular season........No kool-aid for me.
    Here is my take we have seen it in games already, we just have not seen enough. The reason why is IMO Bradford just did not trust Quick. And for good reasons, they had a lot of bad things happen in Quicks rookie year when Sam went to him. Also Pettis was Sam's safety net. Now he is clearly out of the picture and so is Givens. Sam will have to target Quick at least for the first four games. Quick has his first real opportunity to makes a lot of plays.

WK 7 Can't-Miss Play: Quick to the Red Zone
    Last edited by Rambos; -08-20-2014 at 04:07 PM.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I 100% believe Brian Quick will breakout this year. Towards the end of the past season I and many other Rams fans were annoyed because the coaching staff refused to play Quick and continued to start Austin Pettis and Chris Givens. Givens looked awful last year and he is at the bottom of the depth chart IMO (nothing more than an occassional deep threat) and Pettis starting is a bad sign for any team.

When Brian played last year and even in his rookie season (which was sparingly) he would always make a nice play or two and show you why he is oozing with potential. Now that he has a similar player in Kenny Britt to learn from as well as a REAL chance to be a starting WR he can be very good. I think our starting WR's should be some form of Britt, Quick, and Bailey. The problem is Stedman will miss the first 4 games due to suspension. Tavon Austin will be the slot guy and also a gadget type player. Now Quick finally has a chance and with the way he has been playing and practising, he's going to be good IMO. He's clearly shown he is a red-zone threat, as he has scored multiple times in the red-zone, both off fades and slants. He has also shown the ability to go deep. If anyone remembers the bomb from Sam last year to Quick vs Carolina where he dragged a defender for about 15 yards to the 7 yard line.

In a perfect world Bailey and Quick would emerge as outside threats and start for us. This is a good problem though. Quick, Britt, and Bailey have all been outstanding thus far. If one of them continues to progress (I believe it will be between Bailey and Quick) we can have a solid outside WR with another more than serviceable WR across from him. Sprinkle in some great TE play and Tavon Austin and you have a decent passing attack.
    RealRam likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM