Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Rammer is offline Registered User

Has receiver become a strong spot?

I know that the offense isn't producing, but I feel like the receiving corps isn't exactly awful anymore. Avery and Amendola are really producing. Gibson, and even Ruvell Martin are playing nicely. And next year with Robinson and Burton back, this won't exactly be a terrible corps like we thought early on in this season.

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Re: Has receiver become a strong spot?

I agree I feel comfortable with the young bunch of WR the Rams have coming back next year.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

I wouldnt say a strong spot just yet. But definitely not a weakness as most think. The group has potential, we just need to give them time to grow.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Just a question, because I haven't had the chance to watch the games on TV as many of you have. Why the comfort level with this group? Is there a #1 receiver on the team? Just comparing them to some of the wideouts inside the division, it seems we have a lot of 2's or slot receivers. But again, I haven't watched, so I'm just going off the numbers. So hopefully someone can provide some insight on that.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

I don't think this current cast will ever make reciever a "strong spot" on the team. However, with time and maturity, it is possible that the unit could cease to be the absolute liability it has been at times this season.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Avery is a bum but I think Gibson could be special.... I still think we need a #1 reciever, Gibson looks like the closest thing but If robinson comes back healthy he looks like a #1.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRamFan View Post
    Just a question, because I haven't had the chance to watch the games on TV as many of you have. Why the comfort level with this group? Is there a #1 receiver on the team? Just comparing them to some of the wideouts inside the division, it seems we have a lot of 2's or slot receivers. But again, I haven't watched, so I'm just going off the numbers. So hopefully someone can provide some insight on that.
    Tough question. I think Robinson is the only guy with number one potential. His main problems are injuries so we can't rely on him. I like the group, but we need to go out and get a number 1 to clearly solidify this young unit.

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

I think there is some potential with our receivers thus far. I am a bit concerned with the drops we've seen in the past few weeks (particularly Avery and Gibson); that could be more of a by-product of poor quarterbacking too though. I'm not entirely sure that we need to go out and drop the money on a true #1 wide out though.

We aren't going to be a verticle team and when we do throw I expect to see a lot of hitches and slants still next year, so paying someone big dollars to run those routes might be a waste of money.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I don't see how one could call the Rams WR a "strong spot' at this point, but I also don't think there is a complete absence of hope. Avery, Gibson, Burton and Robinson are all young, developing players. There have been plenty of WRs who, in their 2nd or 3rd year, suddenly make a jump from average player to true playmaker.

In the end, though, we won't know who the "go-to" guy is (whether its someone already on the roster or not) until we know who the QB will be.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

well to the guy who called Avery a bum i think that's a bit harsh. He just needs a guy that can hit him on a few of those deep balls (hes been open a few times). Can't judge a receiver in the absence of a quarterbackm they go hand in hand. I think this group is solid and getting a true number 1 shouldnt be a 1-3 round priority in THIS draft. Id like to see us patch of that RT spot on the line with someone solid, get that back-up for Steven Jackson *cough* Noel Devine.

Then on defense we go ahead and stop picking over it and grab Suh. next round we look for whoever is left in terms of a steal. if there's no real "steals" left we grab a solid OLB to compliment Lau. Then we search for a playmaker at DE to go behind or take the place of Little. I really want spags to focus on our front seven on Defense this offseason. We draft Suh and a few good olbs and suddenyl we'd prob have the best front seven in football (on paper).

The Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    well to the guy who called Avery a bum i think that's a bit harsh. He just needs a guy that can hit him on a few of those deep balls (hes been open a few times). Can't judge a receiver in the absence of a quarterbackm they go hand in hand. I think this group is solid and getting a true number 1 shouldnt be a 1-3 round priority in THIS draft. Id like to see us patch of that RT spot on the line with someone solid, get that back-up for Steven Jackson *cough* Noel Devine.

Then on defense we go ahead and stop picking over it and grab Suh. next round we look for whoever is left in terms of a steal. if there's no real "steals" left we grab a solid OLB to compliment Lau. Then we search for a playmaker at DE to go behind or take the place of Little. I really want spags to focus on our front seven on Defense this offseason. We draft Suh and a few good olbs and suddenyl we'd prob have the best front seven in football (on paper).
    About Avery, I noticed him get open deep a few times this Sunday, Null overthrew him twice and didn't throw the other.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

It is not a strong spot, but it isn't a liability either. Let's see how they all pan out with some more time to develop.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

It's not a strong spot, but it's not the kind of weakness it was earlier in the season either. I'd still have trouble ranking them in the top 15-20 receiving groups in the league, though. I think this offense is desperate for a top playmaking pass catcher, and so far none of these guys have really emerged. Maybe this is the kind of unit you can get by with if you have an elite tight end, sort of following the Chargers/Chiefs formula from a couple of years back. But we don't have that either, so at some point, we're going to need some more talent at either (or both) positions.

LongBlood is offline Registered User

None of the guys on the team are a legit #1. That's why I wanted us to draft Crabtree last year. Would this even be a thread if we did that, and went OL in the 2nd round and LB in the 3rd like I had suggested? As it is now, Dez Bryant is the ONLY WR I'd take in the draft, but he has even more character issues than Crabtree IMO, that said I wouldn't mind us taking McCoy (I fear Suh has a bigger bust potential than McCoy...but that's just me), then trading Jackson and taking Bryant, then moving more to a 2 back system and picking up Ryan Mathews in the 2nd round or 3rd round.
    That said, whoever didn't see WR being an issue going into this season clearly had blinders on and were hoping in one hand, while the other hand filled up with you know what. If you are thinking that this corps is turning into a strength...sorry, I don't drink the kool-aid.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by LongBlood View Post
    None of the guys on the team are a legit #1. That's why I wanted us to draft Crabtree last year. Would this even be a thread if we did that, and went OL in the 2nd round and LB in the 3rd like I had suggested?
    Instead of the lack of a #1 receiver, the discussion would probably be centered on the team's need for a LT of the future and a starting middle linebacker. Because where the Rams were picking, the LT options in the 2nd round and the MLB options in the third round were not very good at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast