chiguy is offline Registered User

Haslet's Draft History

Here are the positions of his top three picks from 2000-2004 on defense:

DE -- 2
    DT -- 2
    LB -- 3
    CB --
    S --

Both DEs were first rounders. Two of the LBs were third rounders, with the last one being a 2nd rounder.

Anyone want to take a bet that we'll select a defensive lineman in the draft? Fine by me.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: Haslet's Draft History

That was in New Orleans though. This is a diffrent envirorment and diffrent team. I think it will be a Linebacker honestly.
    RamsFan16

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Given our gang of underachievers up front I can understand this, but Kollar has gone, and if Haslett wants to implement elements of a 3-4, we'll need some more warm bodies in the LB corps.

As long as it's defense first up, I'll be happy. I also wouldn't be surprised if Haslett was promised extra talent in the 1st and 2nd rounds and decided on this basis it was a job to take.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Hopefully LBs Tinoisamoa, Wahlroos, Chillar and Faulk will remain and THRIVE! :angryram:

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

What about Greenway or Ryans or Hodge or Roach?
    RamsFan16

That was in New Orleans though. This is a diffrent envirorment and diffrent team. I think it will be a Linebacker honestly.
    Haslett is going to want to put pressure on the QB in this scheme as much as possible. You can do some of this with blitzing obviously, but you can't blitz on every down without giving up a lot of huge plays. Plus, as porous as our run defense is I can't believe he won't consider an end or tackle. Ngota or Hali will be available when we choose.

That said, I'm not going to get upset if we pick a LB or S/CB. I just think the unit that underperformed the most was the line and I think that Haslett will see it that way too.

Welker83 is offline Registered User

Haslett's drafts have not been good since Randy Mueller was fired from the saints for not telling the owner Benson that he was trading Ricky to the fins. The saints regressed since hasletts first year cause the personell coming in was inferior.....
    And it looked like such a good day...

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Don't get me wrong, I know we need help on defense, but with the depth at LB in the draft this year and the need for a veteran pass rusher, I wouldn't mind seeing Linehan's first pick be TE Vernon Davis. Every draft enthusiast I read says this guy has the talent to be as good as Tony Gonzalez.

We know Linehan likes to use the TE in his offense, see Randy McMichael with Miami and Wiggins/Kleinsasser with Minnesota. A great receiving TE could be a low riskm extremely high reward option for the offense.

ramstiles is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZagRam
    I wouldn't mind seeing Linehan's first pick be TE Vernon Davis.
    I agree with you zig

Rambos is offline Registered User

but with the depth at LB in the draft this year and the need for a veteran pass rusher, I wouldn't mind seeing Linehan's first pick be TE Vernon Davis
    I agree with you on this pick, if he is still on the board, and guys like Mario Williams, Tamba Hali, Haloti Ngata are gone.

I still would not mind taking Michael Huff he is a man among boys.

Info pulled from draft site

Position: Defensive Back
    School: Texas
    Height: 6-1
    Weight: 205
    40-Yard Dash: 4.55 (EST)

Positives:
    Michael Huff is a very athletic defensive back, which can play both corner and safety. He has excellent speed to go along with good hip movement, which allows him to run with receivers and make plays on the ball. He's very smart player who recognizes routes. His athleticism and smarts make him a ball hawk, and he has a tendency to return interceptions for touchdowns.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

No question that the Rams have lacked a playmaker since Ernie Conwell departed and that is putting it charitably. If Vernon is the best guy on the board when we draft, we should take him. It is interesting though on draft day to find out who our coaches/personnel guys feel are sleepers or diamonds in the rough. I still suscribe to the old adage that you pick the highest rated player regardless of position in round one.

AJD45 is offline Registered User

Guess that's the only advantage to being 6-10 -- when the Rams draft the best player available, odds are he'll be a need position, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Welker83
    Haslett's drafts have not been good since Randy Mueller was fired from the saints for not telling the owner Benson that he was trading Ricky to the fins. The saints regressed since hasletts first year cause the personell coming in was inferior.....
    My point wasn't that Haslett would get to pick the player, but that he'd probably have input on what positions he thinks are the greatest need.

And, he did pick Darren Howard who hardly sucks.

shortman1984 is offline Registered User

ah man i watched Vernon Davis play and is is a beast. a TE that runs a 4.4 40 Could you imagine a fast TE on this team that can catch great as well. I mean think for a second. Holt, Bruce, Curtis, Davis. what a recieving combonation that is.. We would be so dominant...And i think Linehan will use the TE more often than martz did...

ramstiles is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shortman1984
    ah man i watched Vernon Davis play and is is a beast. a TE that runs a 4.4 40 Could you imagine a fast TE on this team that can catch great as well. I mean think for a second. Holt, Bruce, Curtis, Davis. what a recieving combonation that is.. We would be so dominant...And i think Linehan will use the TE more often than martz did...
    we wouldn't need a defense

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast