Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Haslett blasts back at Rams

Saw this elsewhere, apparently he did an interview with KFNS and revealed some truths:

Quick Recap (besides what I've already posted)

On Drafting With The Rams

The defensive staff wanted Glenn Dorsey and he said he was a once in a generation DT. But the Front Office didn't want to spend the money on a DT He said that Zygmunt, Shaw, and Linehan changed the board because they fealt Chris Long was a bigger name. Haslett said Long will never be a dominant DE and compared him to Justin Smith. He said he was too slow and his arms to short.

He said in 2006 he was the only one that wanted Tye Hill. Everyone else wanted Broderick Bunkley. He said Bunkley hasn't done anything, but the host said neither has Hill.

He said the Rams had Desean Jackson rated as the highest player on the board when they picked in the 2nd round last year, but "someone" chose to go with Avery. He said Avery will "work hard" but Jackson will be the much better player.

On members of the offensive line

Alex Barron: Not physical. Weak in the run game. Is good in pass blocking though. Is a much better OLT than ORT.

Richie Incognito: Top heavy. That is why he gives up to many sacks

Jacob Bell: Pretty critical of Bell. Says he is not big enough and plays with too much finesse.

John Greco: He thinks a lot of Greco. Says he should be in the mix to start a OG.

On why the Rams kept Will Witherspoon at MLB for 3 years

He said Witherspoon was their second choice in 2006 at LB. Derek Smith was their first. But he re-signed with the *****. The Witherspoon move was only supposed to be temporary (due to the lack of MLB's and the fact the Rams had so many WLB's already with Coakley and Tinoisamoa). But the Rams never drafted another MLB or FA.

On New Rams QB Kyle Boller

He will never be able to beat out Marc Bulger. Boller isn't very good. He get's rattled to easily and makes to many bad decisions.

Other Nuggets

Rams had the chance to land CB Fabian Washington from the Raiders last draft for a 4th round pick. The Rams chose not to in favor of drafting Justin King. Haslett said Washington would of came in and been a starter from day one on the Rams. Instead they got a developmental player in Justin King.

If he would of got the HC job full time this year, he would not of brought back Pace or Holt. He says Holt has lost his speed, but has the est hands e has ever seen.

If he were the Rams, he would take Baylor OT Jason Smith.
    This is exactly what we need this type of year. What a sore loser.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Re: Haslett blasts back at Rams

He's not a sore looser he's just being honest. I don't see him blasting the Rams.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    He's not a sore looser he's just being honest. I don't see him blasting the Rams.

Totally agree. This is just Haz being Haz. And, of course, a lot of folk don't like it; but whatever. Unfortunately, I agree with his assessment of Chris Long v. Glen Dorsey. Oh well, it is what it is.

Heh! Wonder what Haz thinks of the Rams passing on Matty Ryan . Now that's a horse of a whole 'nother color.

WHAT SAY YE?

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

fair play he is HC of the Orlando Sentinel now..how could it possibly be sour grapes??

he does have some points with his evaluation of players (tho not Long IMO) but the bit about him being the only one who wanted Tye Hill as if that is something he is proud of is just plain funny..
    Last edited by Ramblin` Ram; -04-24-2009 at 07:20 PM.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Most of what he said was just predicting what would happen in the future aside from his opinion on the offensive line. Nobody knows if Desean Jackson will be better than Donnie Avery, if Justin King won't be a good corner or if Chris Long won't be a dominant DE.

He also shouldn't be too proud about the selection of Tye Hill and if Tye Hill does have a break out year then it shows his lack of coaching and ability to help players reach their potential.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Listen, anyone who has a chance to become a full-time head coach and doesn't get the job will be disappointed- especially if it involves the type of dreadful circumstances that accompanied the Rams last year. I bear no ill will towads Jim Haslett while still recognizing he was not the answer to our head coaching vacancy.

I look at these opinions as being honest assessments of players he coached or is familiar with. He didn't rip these guys personally, he gave us a scouting report on some guys. I'd actually like to hear more....

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

So he's proud of going for Hill over Bunkley.

I guess you can be proud of that, in the same way that you should be proud of shooting yourself in the foot instead of in the face.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

The defensive staff wanted Glenn Dorsey and he said he was a once in a generation DT.
    Hmm. Dorsey didn't look even remotely like a once in a generation DT in 2008.

Interesting that he didn't have anything to say about the quality of defense he ran for three years.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Can't say any of this is entirely surprising, but of course it's just one man's perspective, too. I'm sure others in the building would tell the story differently.

His description of the offensive line sounds a lot like what others have said. That's probably the first time I've seen Ritchie described as too top heavy, but I think many of us agree that Barron looked a little better on the left and Bell wasn't playing overly physically. Personally, I think Greco looks promising, too.

As far as the Dorsey vs. Long debate, I think it was reported at the time that Haslett favored Dorsey, so it's no surprise that he'd say so now. The real question is whether they really changed the board or if everything we heard about the scouts liking Dorsey was just Haslett leaking stuff to the press back then, too.

I'd be surprised if one person overruled everyone else regarding Avery. If that did happen, it very well might have been a decision on character. Haslett doesn't seem to be one of those guys who focuses tremendously on character picks. Heck, he even confessed to using steroids himself in his playing days.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

What is this guy talking about?

First of all Bunkley had a break out year this year, while Hill regressed

Chris Long played much better than Glen Dorsey.

He talks about not having a MLB, and yet he made no attempt to get one

I will say this he is probably right about the Avery thing, because I remember numerous reports in which the Rams were even thinking about trading up for DeSean Jackson and they really liked him. I wouldn't be surprised if that someone was Jon Shaw or Jay zygmunt. Who cares anyway, if Avery was healthy and got the starts Jackson got his stats would be similar if not better in a worse offense.

based on last year his assement of the line isn't to far off, thats kind of sad

blood85 is offline Registered User

I don't know about you guys, but Dorsey looked like a flop in 2008, I know it's his first year, but still, taking a DT that high in the draft?? I don't know.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

More opinion, especially with someone else asking the questions, rather than "blasting" the Rams. Kinda cool how he told some of the "could've happend but didnt"s but what can you do now? Anyway, Haslett, good luck with Vick!

Keenum is offline Registered User

Eh... it's just his honest opinions about certain players, I don't really think he's blasting anybody, just telling what he thinks about certain players.
    I do want to get some film of Incognito though and watch how he plays now. See if he really is playing top heavy and if that is why he sputters every now and then.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    I agree,he was just answering the questions they asked him,to me it sounds as though he is right on the mark with his answers.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

The defensive staff wanted Glenn Dorsey and he said he was a once in a generation DT. But the Front Office didn't want to spend the money on a DT He said that Zygmunt, Shaw, and Linehan changed the board because they fealt Chris Long was a bigger name. Haslett said Long will never be a dominant DE and compared him to Justin Smith. He said he was too slow and his arms to short.

He said in 2006 he was the only one that wanted Tye Hill. Everyone else wanted Broderick Bunkley. He said Bunkley hasn't done anything, but the host said neither has Hill.

He said the Rams had Desean Jackson rated as the highest player on the board when they picked in the 2nd round last year, but "someone" chose to go with Avery. He said Avery will "work hard" but Jackson will be the much better player.
    The bolded bit leads me to think that his views on Avery and Long mean that Long and Avery are going to be pro bowlers for years to come

oh and "once in a generation DT"? he didnt say it was a good thing...
    maybe he meant this is the collosal bust at DT we have been missing for a few years

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast