RamWraith is offline Registered User

Haslett climbs on frustrated Hill

By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

MEQUON, Wis. (Camp Day 19/late report)

Cornerback Tye Hill, the Rams’ first-round draft pick in 2006, will tell anyone who’ll listen that he’s disappointed he picked off only four passes — including just one last season — in his first two seasons in the NFL. He’s made it a goal to boost his interception totals.

At Tuesday afternoon’s practice, Hill slipped in front of wide receiver Dante Hall and soared high to snare a pass from Marc Bulger. About 15 minutes later, Hill had another ball in his hands . . . but he muffed it, and it fell to the ground, much to Hill’s obvious dismay.

That promoted this sardonic reaction from defensive coordinator Jim Haslett: “You know, Tye, you’re allowed to have more than one a day.”

Hill just stalked off, fuming.

<><><>

With the end of training camp in sight, coach Scott Linehan was feeling a bit quippish, as well. When asked about hamstring injuries and how long it takes to recover from them, the former University of Idaho quarterback replied, “I wasn’t fast enough to have a hamstring (injury) personally, so I wouldn’t know.”

<><><>

Notes & quotes:

>>MLB Will Witherspoon was full-go Tuesday after recovering from a bruised shoulder that kept him out of Saturday night’s game at Tennessee.

>>After a rough start to camp, WR Shaine Smith has been impressive lately. He could be in contention for a spot on the practice squad.

>>CB David Macklin also has come on lately after an unimpressive start.

>>If he passes his physical, CB Tanard Davis will be at Wednesday afternoon’s practice. Davis, a U. of Miami product, was on the Eagles’ practice squad last season.

>>Injuries have left the Rams are so thin in the secondary that international player Sabastien Sejean, a safety, was working with the No. 2 defense Tuesday morning. Sejean will spend the season on the practice squad as part of an NFL developmental program.

All for now . . . more following Wednesday afternoon’s final training camp practice.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Haslett climbs on frustrated Hill

I'd like to hear more from Haslett. We all know he isn't shy. I wish a reporter would interview him so that we could get some feeling on how the defense is going to look in 2008.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post

>>If he passes his physical, CB Tanard Davis will be at Wednesday afternoon’s practice. Davis, a U. of Miami product, was on the Eagles’ practice squad last season.
    I'd assume this is the corner Linehan was alluding to in his press conference yesterday?

moloch41 is offline Registered User

The title of this thread disturbs me...

Mooselini is offline Registered User

This is good news that Witherspoon is back. He pretty much is the best defensive player on our squad.

I hope Hill improves this year. I still have tons of hope that he will emerge this year as a more productive player.

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

I'm not sure why everyone on this board thinks Haslett can improve this teams D. He wasnt a good head coach in NO, and he hasnt improved our D at all in the time he has been here. Can somebody explain why I should have any confidence in this man at all?

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Sure. See: Steelers.

also, if you look at the number of flunked defensive draftees the Rams have had since 2000, you'll notice Haslett was not given a full deck. The defense hasn't been great, but that doesn't mean he hasn't been coaching well.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by KoaKoi View Post
    Sure. See: Steelers.

also, if you look at the number of flunked defensive draftees the Rams have had since 2000, you'll notice Haslett was not given a full deck. The defense hasn't been great, but that doesn't mean he hasn't been coaching well.
    I don't know Koa. As much as I thought his coming to the Rams was a good thing when it happened, I'm beginning to believe that his success in Pittsburgh was a fluke. He seems to be unable to adapt to the players he does have on the Rams squad. You can debate the quality of our players, but I think the biggest difference between good and ineffective players is not between the sidelines but between the ears. I don't mean to bring out a rehash of stats from Haslett supporters but personally I don't think he's been all that effective.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    The title of this thread disturbs me...
    I got it! i got it!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

HornyRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD413 View Post
    Can somebody explain why I should have any confidence in this man at all?
    Does not matter either way unless you are one of his defensive players. It is big trouble when the players lose confidence in the coach.

Quote Originally Posted by KoaKoi
    The defense hasn't been great, but that doesn't mean he hasn't been coaching well.
    Based on the games I have attended I would have to agree. Haslett and his staff spend a lot of time coaching players on the sidelines in between and after every series.