eldfan is offline Registered User

Haslett in denial over circus act

Haslett in denial over circus act

Sports Columnist Bernie Miklasz
    [More columns]By Bernie Miklasz
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    11/24/2008

Send in the clowns. There must be clowns. Excuse me for going Stephen Sondheim on you, but I'm running out of words and themes to describe the Rams' rather clumsy attempt to play football.

Just put face paint on 'em the rest of the season. Give them those Day Glo fright wigs to wear. Put a big, red nose on Richie Incognito and have him go entertain at kids' birthday parties instead of missing blocks and getting his quarterback concussed. Have Alex Barron wear a pair of floppy, jumbo-sized rubber shoes and shoot off strings of confetti when he's penalized for a false start.

After watching those zany Rams stumble and fall, commit 11 penalties, perform unique comedy sketches, toss around an exploding football for four interceptions and all but jam 50 players into one of those little circus cars to race around the field in dizzying circles, I thought about this:

The Greatest Show on Earth has an entirely different meaning now.

What we're seeing at the Edward Jones Dome is more like the real Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey.

On Sunday, the clowns were devoured by Bears.

The final score was 27-3. The Rams have lost five consecutive games, the last four by an aggregate score of 143-35.

And once again, coach Jim Haslett was the only person in the stadium who found no fault with his players' effort.

Yes, Haslett was plenty agitated over the penalties and mental errors, and he aired out his grievances in the postgame media session. That was good.

But Haslett has lost credibility by refusing to admit that his team is lying down on the job. MORE BERNIE
    E-Mail Bernie
    Sound Off in Bernie's Press Box
    Sound Off in Cards Talk
    More Bernie columns

Haslett is in denial over this reality: The Rams' lack of effort is horrendous.

For the third week in a row, the Rams were a no-show at the game's start. Over the past three halftimes, they have been down 40-0 to the Jets, 35-3 to the ***** and 24-3 to the Bears.

That's 99-6 in case you're keeping score at home.

But to hear Haslett talk about it, he's coaching a locker room full of guys named Spartacus.

"This had nothing to do with effort today," Haslett said. "You guys want to bring that stuff up, it had nothing to do with it. It had everything to do with execution, tackling, fumbles, turnovers, interceptions, penalties and pre-snap penalties. That's it. It had nothing to do with effort."

Wrong, Coach.

Blocking is effort, and the Rams are pitiable blockers.

Tackling is effort, and the Rams are poor tacklers.

Being mentally disciplined requires real effort, and the Rams' don't concentrate. Many of their penalties are a direct result of lazy mental discipline.

A team simply could not be more disinterested in competing than these Rams are. When you get pounded by the Bears for 201 yards rushing and can muster only 14 yards rushing on your 19 carries, there is one conclusion here: The Rams were physically overrun and didn't stand up to the Bears. And that has everything to do with effort.

Haslett was up against it when he took over a team loaded with losers and a thinning roster. I had a lot of empathy for Haslett. This is an awful job for a coach.

Initially, Haslett got the players cranked up. But now the Rams are tanking it worse than they did under previous coach Scott Linehan. And Haslett does nothing to hold the players accountable. He keeps threatening to make lineup changes, but doesn't. He calls out players in meetings, and they don't respond on Sunday. They pack it in again.

I was pulling for Haslett, but he has slipped in three areas. No. 1, he can't get players to play. No. 2, he defends their intensity level. No. 3, he doesn't shake anything up. He keeps running the same players out there.

Haslett is giving owner Chip Rosenbloom little choice but to start thinking of hiring a new coach from outside the organization, a coach who will instill toughness and discipline and demand commitment.

Incognito symbolizes everything that's wrong with the Rams. First, we heard the immature, underachieving Incognito rip into Rams fans a few days before the Chicago game, then he taunted the fans as he left the field Sunday.

And no one — repeat, no one — in the Rams organization has the stomach to confront this tool and punish him with a benching or suspension.

Send in the clowns.

There must be clowns.

:ramlogo:

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

Re: Haslett in denial over circus act

I couldn't find one thing wrong with his statements. Cog should be fined, benched, whatever it takes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

BIG-BLUE is online now Registered User

For the life of me I just don't understand why Haslett doesn't shake things up, especially with the front line. It's just pathetic effort at blocking & then throw in the stupid mental mistakes for penalties & what do we have? A circus act. Haslett be a man, wait better yet a coach that wants his job, shake it up. What do you have to lose your job? O wait that's already on the line.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Miklasz is right. And this is why I have major reservations about Haslett being hired full time. No, he didn't create this mess and yes, he is in a very difficult situation over which he has limited control. But when a team (even an untalented one) shows the type of concentration lapses and lack of overall fire in their bellies that the Rams have shown the past three weeks, that is as much an indictment of the coach than anything else. When you truly respect the man in charge, you do everything in your power to bring your best effort ALL THE TIME. Having watched the Rams like everyone else on this board, it is obvious Haslett's rants and challenges are falling on deaf ears.

To blame Haslett for the entire mess is unfair, but truth be told, he's been a big part of a losing culture for three seasons now. Dismantle that staff after the season and bring in a bunch of knowledgable, tough-minded coaches who will instill pride and bring hard nosed guys to the party every Sunday.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

People who are afraid of the truth should never read Bernies collumn.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by makersncoke View Post
    People who are afraid of the truth should never read Bernies collumn.
    Darn, I wanted to rape , (OOPS! rep), you, but I have to spread myself around.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CaliGirlRamsFan View Post
    Wow, first a Fruedian slip and then a double intendre...

As far as Bernie..

Don't you love farce?
    My fault I fear.
    I thought that you'd want what I want.
    Sorry, my dear.
    But where are the clowns?
    Quick, send in the clowns.
    Don't bother, they're here.
    Pretty much says it all.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CaliGirlRamsFan View Post
    That's hot! Now I'm off to take a cold shower.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]