By Bill Coats
St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Jim Haslett might not be the president of the St. Louis chapter of the Brett Favre Fan Club, but hes still an unabashed admirer of the 38-year-old quarterback. The Rams will take on Favre and his Jets teammates on Sunday in East Rutherford, N.J.

I think he may be the best player that ever played the game, at least the most competitive player that ever played the game, Haslett said. I love the guy. If I was building a football team and somebody said you could have one player . . . thats the guy I would take, because I love his competitiveness, his arm strength, his mobility. The guy is unbelievable. . . . Hes everything you want in a quarterback.

Count Marc Bulger among the Favre faithful, too. Hes been playing for so long at such a high level, Bulger said. You look at last year. He had a couple of years there where everyone thought he was retiring, and then he comes out with the year he had last year. . . . He hasnt changed his approach to the game the whole time hes played.

<><><>

Notes & quotes:

*With Steven Jackson (thigh), Antonio Pittman (hamstring) and Travis Minor (concussion) sidelined, Kenneth Darby and Samkon Gado worked with the first team at running back in practice Wednesday. Im thinking right now that Darby and Sam are our two running backs, Haslett said. And then if the other three miraculously come around and play, then well be better for it. Thats how Im going into it.

*Concerned that his knee still is giving him problems a month after he tore cartilage, CB Tye Hill plans to get a second opinion next week from renowned orthopedist Dr. James Andrews.

*S Todd Johnson returned to practice after missing two games with a bruised kidney.

All for now . . .