RamWraith is offline Registered User

Haslett gets face time with new TE starter

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Wednesday, Oct. 01 2008

The ink on his new contract had barely dried when Rams coach Jim Haslett got in
    tight end Joe Klopfenstein's face.

"Here's a kid that started 16 games his rookie year, then he kind of falls off
    the face of the Earth," Haslett said Tuesday after conducting his first
    practice as Scott Linehan's successor. "I told Joe he needs to get back out
    there and start playing like the guy we drafted in the second round: be
    productive, block, run the right routes.

"I'm expecting Joe to step up to the plate."

First-team tight end Randy McMichael broke a bone in his lower right leg Sunday
    against Buffalo and will be out at least eight weeks. McMichael had 11 catches
    for 139 yards, and the Rams are counting on Klopfenstein to maintain a similar
    pace after the bye-week break.

"When somebody goes down, they expect you to fill that role and not take a step
    back at that position at all," he said. "You've got to be able to do what the
    starter was able to do."

The 6-foot-5, 262-pound Klopfenstein, the 46th overall pick in the 2006 draft,
    started every game that year. He caught 20 passes for 226 yards and a
    touchdown, but struggled with his blocking chores.

McMichael arrived as a free agent the following March, knocking Klopfenstein
    from the lineup. McMichael, who averaged 56 catches and 619 yards in five
    seasons with the Miami Dolphins, fell off to 39 receptions for 429 yards last
    year, when injuries on the offensive line required that he be used more as a
    blocker.

New offensive coordinator Al Saunders was determined to get McMichael more
    involved in the offense this year. Now, that role belongs to Klopfenstein.

"We can't scale down our offense and take our tight end out of it, because
    that's what we worked on all spring and all camp," quarterback Marc Bulger
    said. "Joe doesn't have a choice; he's going to be our guy."

Klopfenstein is just happy to get another chance after catching just two balls
    last year.

"It seems like it's been forever since I've been a starter," he said. "It was
    kind of like I was in the shadow a little bit. I've always been ready, waiting,
    to do whatever they asked me to do."

INJURY REPORT

Tackle Orlando Pace and linebacker Will Witherspoon won't practice until next
    week, Haslett said. Both are experiencing shoulder soreness. Wide receiver Dane
    Looker (concussion) also will be out until then. Cornerback Tye Hill had knee
    surgery to repair torn cartilage and is expected to miss three or four games.
    Jason Craft worked with the first-team defense Tuesday in Hill's spot.

BROWN'S DEAL

The Rams want to bring back cornerback Fakhir Brown, who was released in a
    surprise move last week. It might cost them, though. Because Brown is a vested
    veteran and was cut after the regular season started, his $1.95 million salary
    for 2007 is guaranteed, even if he doesn't play another down. Brown, who has
    started 27 games for the Rams since 2006, wants a pay hike to return. Talks are
    continuing.

RAM-BLINGS

Running back Lance Ball, an undrafted rookie, was released from the practice
    squad Tuesday. … After today's practice, the players and coaches will be off
    until Monday.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Re: Haslett gets face time with new TE starter

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post

The ink on his new contract had barely dried when Rams coach Jim Haslett got in
    tight end Joe Klopfenstein's face.

"Here's a kid that started 16 games his rookie year, then he kind of falls off
    the face of the Earth," Haslett said Tuesday after conducting his first
    practice as Scott Linehan's successor. "I told Joe he needs to get back out
    there and start playing like the guy we drafted in the second round: be
    productive, block, run the right routes.

"I'm expecting Joe to step up to the plate."
    I wasn't sure how this whole firing linehan and replacing him with haslett experiment would go. But hearing something like that gives me hope. I love that Haslett got in his face about it and is pushing him to produce, that's something that I don't think Linehan would have done.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

BROWN'S DEAL

The Rams want to bring back cornerback Fakhir Brown, who was released in a surprise move last week. It might cost them, though. Because Brown is a vested veteran and was cut after the regular season started, his $1.95 million salary for 2007 is guaranteed, even if he doesn't play another down. Brown, who has started 27 games for the Rams since 2006, wants a pay hike to return. Talks are continuing.
    And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I hate Scott Linehan. We're already paying him for his whole season, and he was by far not the worst player back there. Now, we're going to have to probably come up with another million under the cap and give him a whole new signing bonus to come back.

SLOP still lives in my book...

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I hate Scott Linehan. We're already paying him for his whole season, and he was by far not the worst player back there. Now, we're going to have to probably come up with another million under the cap and give him a whole new signing bonus to come back.

I read on another post he cut him to spike Haslett that just don't make any sense.
    :ramlogo:

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post

I couldn't agree more....SL is going to be costing us for a while. This is just the first actual $$ hit.
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Giving Brown a raise to come back makes no sense. Play Wade or whatever other guy you have. Brown is not part of our future. We can finish last with him or last without him. I would however be willing to take back hedgecock and give him a raise.

By the way, i heard richard owens got a job as linehan's personal assistant.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

continuing.
    That would be stupid. Let him go, he isn't worth more money

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

BROWN'S DEAL

continuing.
    I'm still confused about what exactly happened here. One week we throw him in the starting lineup in front of Hill. The next we outright cut him. A week later, Linehan is gone and we want him back. It seems like it must have been Linehan who wanted him gone, but knowing that the coach was on thin ice, I'm surprised the front office went along with it.

It's no surprise that he wants more money, though. Right now he can either come in and work for that money, or he can sit on his couch eating cheetos and still receive his checks. Since we already owe him that money one way or another, he'd practically be coming back for free if we didn't give him some kind of raise.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I am having a good feeling about Haslett. He obviously has the mentality to be a head coach. He's doing something Linehan never did before until he knew his time was over. Hope Klop shows us he's worth the pick.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm still confused about what exactly happened here. One week we throw him in the starting lineup in front of Hill. The next we outright cut him. A week later, Linehan is gone and we want him back. It seems like it must have been Linehan who wanted him gone, but knowing that the coach was on thin ice, I'm surprised the front office went along with it.
    It's a complex equation.

Linehan = Zygmunt
    Haslett = Brown

Linehan hates Haslett, therefore, Linehan cuts Brown. And in the decision process....

Zygmunt > Haslett

So at the end of it all.....Brown gets cut.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post

It's no surprise that he wants more money, though. Right now he can either come in and work for that money, or he can sit on his couch eating cheetos and still receive his checks. Since we already owe him that money one way or another, he'd practically be coming back for free if we didn't give him some kind of raise.
    Welcome to the inner circle of the St.Louis Rams

punahou is offline Registered User

BROWN'S DEAL

continuing.

-----------
    -----------

F*** that

this is the MAIN problem with athletes. 1.95 million NOT ENOUGH? WTF is wrong with you. Come out, stay clean, play hard, play like a PERRENIAL PRO BOWL CALIBER CB and then lets re-talk.

play the game because you like to-- money is a nice benefit for playing a GAME for 17 weeks a year.

Give me 100,000 to play in the NFL, lift weights, do cardio, and watchgame film and Im there.
    Last edited by HUbison; -10-01-2008 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Wow. I imagine our Catholic friends might not care for all the vain name taking.