MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Haslett is getting over Rams disappointment ..

BY JIM THOMAS
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    07/25/2009

For most of his coaching career, things came easy for Jim Haslett. He became an NFL head coach after just seven years in the league as an assistant. He was the NFL's coach of the year in 2000 as a rookie head coach of the New Orleans Saints. Even after he lost his job in New Orleans in the aftermath of the brutally tough Hurricane Katrina season, he didn't have to look for work.

Teams came looking for him.

But the phone didn't ring last January when the Rams decided they wouldn't retain Haslett after his 2-10 run as interim head coach. At the Senior Bowl, he was almost non-communicative. For the first time in his life, he wasn't sure about his next job.

But the feisty coach known as "Haz" has bounced back. He's back in coaching, albeit in the fledging United Football League. And he's getting on with his post-Rams life.

"The first few weeks were hard because I would get up, work out, do things around the house, take care of some things," Haslett said this week. "But then all of a sudden the reality hits you that you have another 10 hours in the day. What are you going to do?"

Haslett eventually adjusted. For the first time in three years, he visited his mom and dad in western Pennsylvania. He spent more time with his wife and three children, including some vacation time at their condo in Pensacola, Fla.

"At first it was rough because it's the first time you haven't worked in a while," Haslett said. "I did have some (NFL) job offers. I had a few teams that were interested. But I wasn't really interested in moving. I didn't want to move the family."

Haslett's son, Chase, is entering his junior year at Clayton High, and Haslett doesn't want to move the family until Chase graduates.

Although he has made numerous paid appearances on the radio for KFNS, Haslett on Thursday had his first extensive interview since learning Jan. 15 that he was not being considered for the Rams' head coaching job, which went to Steve Spagnuolo a few days later.

Haslett said the hand of John Shaw was in his dismissal, even though Shaw had stepped down from team president to club adviser just a few weeks earlier. He said the Rams might have won a couple of more games had he been allowed to fire some assistants after taking over for Scott Linehan.

Haslett wouldn't name names, but he said Shaw and owner Chip Rosenbloom wouldn't let him make staff changes, one of which almost certainly would have been the firing of offensive coordinator Al Saunders during the bye week that preceded Haslett's first game as interim had coach.

Haslett says his biggest on-field regret was not removing running back Steven Jackson late in the game with a big lead against Dallas. Jackson suffered a thigh injury that sidelined him for most of the next five games.

The Rams led 34-7 midway through the fourth quarter when Jackson suffered the injury on Oct. 19 en route to a 2-0 start under Haslett. It was the team's last victory in a 2-14 season.

"In that game, I was talking to the defense, I turned around and I saw Steven out there and said, 'We've got to get him out,'" Haslett recalled. "And I told the coaches get him out and he got hurt the next play.

"You can always say in football there's a defining moment in every game and that was the defining moment probably for the season," Haslett said. "If he stays healthy, we probably beat New England (the following week). We probably win four or five other games, and maybe the scenario's different."

Instead, the Rams lost 10 in a row to close the season. Four of the 2008 season's final five losses came by four points or fewer.

"We played about as good as we could play the last five games; we just couldn't get a break," Haslett said. "But most of the NFL games come down to a play here, a play there."

As tough as it was to take at the time, Haslett expressed no hard feelings.

"I understand how the business works," Haslett said. "I wish I would've had more of an opportunity, but I understand why I didn't get the job. I think Lucia (Rodriguez) and Chip wanted me to have the job. But I don't think John Shaw wanted me to have the job."

Why?

"If you fire the general manager (Jay Zygmunt) and the president (Shaw) steps down, but the guy's still there coaching the team, it looks like only (management's) at fault," Haslett said. "This way, you get rid of everybody and you start over."

Haslett starts over this fall as head coach of the Orlando franchise in the UFL. The Rams start over with a new front office and a new head coach in Spagnuolo.

"I want them to do well," Haslett said of the '09 Rams. "I think they'll win six to nine games."

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Haslett is getting over Rams disappointment ..

Haslett needs to shut his yapper.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

He does seem a little petulant, if not bitter. Certainly not going to help his return from coaching Siberia, I wouldn't think. I doubt Shaw has any clout with the NFL Inner Circle but it is a speculative cheap shot. Nor do I think Chip & Lucia would appreciate being made to look like naive puppets.

There's a sadly surprising whiff of hypocrisy for Haz to hold all & sundry accountable except himself.Even the excuse over the SJ injury is lame; "I just turned my back for a minute..." Way to plan ahead & keep your eye on the big picture,Coach.

And while I'd never defend Shawgmunt from any attack up to & including torture as long as there was a free live webcast, I think Saunders has as strong a case as Haz regarding being hamstrung by the FO & circumstances. I wasn't happy to watch his offense,either, but he , like the team overall, got better with SJ's health and the caliber/form of the competition.

And at least Saunders had the good grace to make a quiet exit.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -07-25-2009 at 11:36 PM.

Keenum is offline Registered User

I don't blame Haz for being a bit angry... he was able to get the players fired up enough to actually win two games last year. Then the injury bug bit again and we just couldn't keep up.
    Just for the heck of it though, I would like to know those coaches he was wanting to fire, lol

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

i Couldnt tell you how much Haz doesnt mean to me...

ardavandavari is offline Registered User

Sounds like bitter words from a bitter boy... We could have made playoffs last year if we had SJ healthy...How do u lose track of your star player... you should be wiping the sweat off his forehead. Not planning your D in a blow out game... Jesus Christ... can we get someone with some brains in there...

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

First he takes some parting shots at the organization back in April, now he seems to take them here. So no, it doesn't sound like Haslett is getting over the Rams at all, really.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

I am going to go with who the hell really cares what Haslett thinks, a new season is about to start so lets say see ya to last seasons mess and get ready a very successful season,I hope.