Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Haslett Interview ...

Today's Top Video - Video On Demand | KMOV.com | St. Louis, MO

Good interview with JH .. Will this sway some JH doubters? Maybe ...

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: Haslett Interview ...

i clicked on the link but it would play for a second or two then pause for 10 etc...so i bailed out.

im sure it was an impressive interview tho,that is one thing that i`ll give him credit for being good at.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    i clicked on the link but it would play for a second or two then pause for 10 etc...so i bailed out.

im sure it was an impressive interview tho,that is one thing that i`ll give him credit for being good at.
    Tried the link again and it works ok for me .. Haz outlines his vision of what the Rams need to do this off-season, and beyond. He also clarifies what happened with Ritchie Incognito in the locker room the day of the "candy bar episode" ..

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Worked for me.

Nice interview with Haslett. He would like an opportunity to build his own team. He knows what it takes to build a winner and says we aren't to far off.
    The O-line is the first priority on his list. Not a complete reconstruction but it does needs some improvements.

I hope he gets the job.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Wow. This is a great interview.

He has the vision. He knows that you need players that are committed, anyone who isn't can go (probably implied Cogs). He mentioned that Torry Holt was sick, but played his heart out and played well. This is the leadership and commitment we need.

O-line is the top priority this year. I like this thinking.

We need to get bigger and more physical. As he said, games are won in the fourth quarter. He knows what he is talking about.

Certainly, this gives me more respect towards the Haz. May the best man win the job.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

HornIt is offline Registered User

Haslett has always talked a good game but coaches a lousy one.

He is an excuse making factory and an opportunist. As has been demonstrated by his defenses over the last 3 years, he is the very last thing this organization needs right now, IMO. Right now they need substance over style. They need real leadership.

Hell no! Jim must go!

Falconator Guest

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Worked for me.

Nice interview with Haslett. He would like an opportunity to build his own team. He knows what it takes to build a winner and says we aren't to far off.
    The O-line is the first priority on his list. Not a complete reconstruction but it does needs some improvements.

I hope he gets the job.
    laram0,

you said "he knows what it takes to build a winner".......what do you base that statement on? something in his past? because I cannot find anything in his coaching past that would lead me to believe that Jim Haslett knows how to "build a winner".

Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    laram0,

you said "he knows what it takes to build a winner".......what do you base that statement on? something in his past? because I cannot find anything in his coaching past that would lead me to believe that Jim Haslett knows how to "build a winner".
    New Orleans Saints....

New Orleans Saints....
    Here is a very good article about the "winner" he built in New Orleans. Don't know if this has been posted here yet or not:

Haslett's tenure ran the gamut
    Coach couldn't maintain success he had in first season with Saints
    Tuesday, January 03, 2006
    By Jeff Duncan
    Staff writer

Jim Haslett's six-year tenure as Saints head coach reflected his personality. It was marked by triumph and turmoil.

The intense coach will be remembered for guiding the club to its first playoff victory and re-establishing respect to an organization that had become a laughingstock under former coach Mike Ditka.
    Advertisement

But Haslett's legacy also will be tarnished by an inability to maintain that early success in subsequent seasons, including a spectacular collapse in 2002 that spoiled a 6-1 start, divided the fan base and ultimately led to his demise.

While Haslett's toughness, gunslinger mentality and fiery temper endeared him to players and fans, his personality flaws -- unreliability, impatience, inflexibility -- and questionable personnel decisions eventually paved the path to his downfall.

In many ways, Haslett's tenure unraveled in similar fashion to that of former Saints coach Jim Mora. Both engineered impressive turnarounds early in their tenures, but gradually lost momentum after the departures of the general managers that hired them. In the case of Mora, his teams went 69-48 and made four playoff appearances in nine seasons with Jim Finks. After Finks died in 1994, Mora's teams went 24-31.

Haslett experienced a similar decline after Randy Mueller was fired as general manager in 2002. In two seasons with Mueller, Haslett's teams went 17-15 and won a division title. In four seasons without him, Haslett's teams were 29-37.

Haslett never warmed to Mickey Loomis after he took charge of football operations in 2002. The two maintained a solid working relationship but were never close. A blue-collar ex-linebacker from Pittsburgh, Haslett considered Loomis "a non-football man" and yearned for a boss with a background as a coach or scout.

Haslett privately schemed to usurp Loomis' authority after the 2004 season but lost the power struggle. When Haslett failed to land a contract extension in a much-anticipated postseason meeting with Benson and Loomis, his fate was sealed. Several assistants on his staff saw the writing on the wall and made preparations for a lame-duck season or bolted for more secure environments.

When the ax fell Monday, it surprised no one, including Haslett, who privately was eager to escape what he considered an untenable situation.

Although Haslett failed to improve the Saints on the field after his splashy debut, his tenure will be recognized for several gains off it. Under Haslett's careful planning, practice schedules and offseason programs were brought to NFL standards. He used his extensive connections to hire quality assistants, many of whom earned promotions in the NFL or moved on to college head coaching jobs.

Haslett's constant urging pushed Benson to upgrade the team training facility. The cafeteria, indoor practice field and weight and training rooms rank among the best in the league and help the Saints compete for free agents.

But the gains off the field failed to materialize in success on it.

For various reasons, Haslett never recaptured the magic of his first season, when he endeared himself to fans with bold, unconventional play-calling and shocked the city and the league by guiding the Saints to the NFC West Division title and an upset of the defending Super Bowl champion St. Louis Rams in the playoffs.

The surprising start might have lulled Haslett and the front office into a false sense of confidence. After hitting a home run on free agent wide receiver Joe Horn, the brain trust made a series of personnel decisions that undercut their progress and disillusioned the fan base.

From August 2000 to March 2002, the Saints cut, traded or failed to exercise options on quarterback Marc Bulger, linebacker Mark Fields, defensive tackle La'Roi Glover, left tackle Willie Roaf and running back Ricky Williams. In the spring of 2003, they failed to offer backup quarterback Jake Delhomme a contract in free agency. Those six players combined to receive 11 Pro Bowl invitations since leaving New Orleans. Of the players acquired in their places, only running back Deuce McAllister, a 2001 first-round pick, made it to Honolulu.

Although Haslett never gained total control of personnel, his opinion carried as much weight as any in the organization and he never was forced to take a player he didn't want. And Haslett, like Mueller and younger brother Rick Mueller, the club's director of player personnel, tended to favor athletically gifted players that some league insiders said lacked smarts, instincts and functional football skills.

The questionable personnel philosophy led to problems on and off the field.

Glover's departure led to a revolving door at defensive tackle, which the club eventually tried to plug with Johnathan Sullivan, who proved to be a bust as the No. 6 overall pick in the 2003 draft.

The Saints also never adequately replaced Fields, who they unceremoniously cut in 2001. The Saints have not had a linebacker even considered for the Pro Bowl since Fields went in 2000.

Without the hustling Glover and Fields, the defense, which carried the Saints to the 2000 division title with a club-record 66 sacks and 35 takeaways, went from stout to porous. It plummeted in the league rankings from 10th in 2000 to an all-time low 30th in 2004.

While the defense went backward, the offense sputtered.

Early on under Haslett, the Saints enjoyed some of the most spectacular offensive performances in club history. For the first time in more than two decades they ranked in the top 10 in overall yardage. In 2002, they set a franchise record with 432 points.

Still, the Saints annually ranked among the league leaders in penalties, turnovers and dropped passes. The Saints averaged 121 penalties and 31 turnovers per season during Haslett's tenure. Both figures were well above the league averages of 104 penalties and 28 turnovers during that span.

Haslett's teams also tended to play to the level of their competition. Case in point, the head-spinning 2002 season when four of the Saints' seven losses were to 2-14 Cincinnati, 3-13 Detroit, 6-10 Minnesota and 7-9 Carolina.

Equally confounding, his teams displayed a maddening lack of urgency at home. Haslett's home record was 19-29, and his road mark was 26-22.

The character risks also manifested into headaches off the field. Dale Carter, Keyuo Craver, Sedrick Hodge and Nathan Black ran afoul of the NFL substance abuse program and were suspended. Albert Connell, Grady Jackson, Victor Riley and Sullivan caused discipline problems.

Riley was involved in two locker-room skirmishes with teammates. Quarterback Aaron Brooks and defensive end Charles Grant also tussled after a game in 2004.

The incidents tested Haslett as a disciplinarian, and his failure to properly deal with them caused a gradual erosion of confidence and respect for him in the locker room.

Haslett's kid-glove treatment of Brooks, in particular, damaged his authority in the locker room and created a disconnect with fans.

Television cameras often caught Saints players, most notably Brooks, laughing or smiling at the end of bitter losses. Brooks' reaction, which team officials tried to spin as a harmless defense mechanism, undermined his credibility as a leader with some of his teammates and infuriated fans.

In a 2002 game at Carolina, Haslett sent Brooks to the locker room before the final play of the first half after the quarterback refused to throw a Hail Mary pass. Instead of benching Brooks for insubordination, though, Haslett allowed him to start and play the second half.

Later that season, Haslett exacerbated the problem with the most controversial coaching decision of his tenure.

After Brooks injured his throwing shoulder in Game 12 against Tampa Bay, Haslett stubbornly refused to start Delhomme down the stretch, even after the backup had displayed competence by completing seven of eight passes for 103 yards in a relief appearance the following week against Baltimore.

Haslett and team officials claimed Brooks' injury, which they initially reported as a bruised deltoid muscle, did not adversely affect his performance, but the numbers told a different story.

Before the injury, Brooks completed 57 percent of his passes (218 of 382) with 21 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. His passer efficiency rating was 83.5. After the injury, he completed 44.5 percent of his passes (65 of 146) with six touchdowns and two interceptions. His quarterback rating was 71.3.

As a result, the Saints, needing just one win to secure a playoff berth, lost their final three games of the season, including an embarrassing 20-13 loss at Cincinnati, which was 1-13. In that game, Brooks misfired on his final 11 passes and mustered just one first down in the second half against the league's worst-ranked defense.

After the season, team officials announced Brooks had torn a tendon in his rotator cuff, an injury severe enough to require surgery.

Brooks responded in 2003 with his best season, completing 59 percent of his passes with an NFL-best 24-8 touchdown-to-interception ratio, but his play gradually deteriorated.

Brooks ended this season on the bench, and Delhomme led the Panthers to a second NFC South Division title in three seasons and earned the first Pro Bowl invitation of his career.

Brooks' shoulder eventually mended.

Haslett's career never recovered.

Haslett's tenure ran the gamut- NOLA.com

Falconator Guest

good post Hornit.......anybody that thinks that Jim Haslett built a winner in New Orleans needs to do some research.

Being in the same division with my Falcons, I can tell you Haslett was not a very impressive Head Coach. He had good talent yet was basically a .500 coach and did not have control of his team. And it was more than "just the Katrina year".

I remember when Haslett was first brought on to be the Rams DC and Linehan talked about how he planned on not having Haslett around for very long because he was going to be in charge of the defense and do a great job with it which would lead to Head Coaching opportunities elsewhere.

I was cool with that, even though I wasn't a big Haslett fan then. I thought that's great. Give him the reigns to the defense, he'll be motivated to get the job done so he gets what he wants, which is another crack at being a HC and he'll hopefully leave the Rams defense in good shape for his successor.

Well, that never happened. Instead what happened was that his defenses were so bad it contributed to getting Linehan fired and somehow, some way has led to an opportunity to actually be the Rams Head Coach. No one other team has any interest in him because he never earned that interest after failing as a HC in N.O. and then as the Rams DC.

There are no results. There is nothing to indicate he's the guy that is capable of building anything of substance. Everybody except the Rams seem to get that. I will honestly be surprised if he even ends up as a DC anywhere else, assuming the Rams don't pick him to be their HC. My guess is he'll land a job somewhere as a position coach.

Falconator Guest

Amen Hornit, preach it brother!

Quote Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
    good post Hornit.......anybody that thinks that Jim Haslett built a winner in New Orleans needs to do some research.

Being in the same division with my Falcons, I can tell you Haslett was not a very impressive Head Coach. He had good talent yet was basically a .500 coach and did not have control of his team. And it was more than "just the Katrina year".
    Do you think that Haslett might have learned something from his previous headcoaching gig? He says it in the interview. He's a better football coach now than he was then.

Falconator Guest

he's better now, laram0?

Why, because he says he's better? Just because Haslett can "say the right things" does not mean he is a better coach or deserves a 2nd chance.

Where is the "proof" that Haslett is better? What is Haslett's resume' since he was fired by the Saints? three very poor seasons as defensive coordinator for the Rams - that's what!

Do you think that Haslett might have learned something from his previous headcoaching gig? He says it in the interview. He's a better football coach now than he was then.
    I didn't see evidence of that with the Rams. It's a possibility I guess, but I just don't think you can use that as a reason to bring him back.

If you did, then wouldn't the same theory apply to any Head Coach or Coordinator that has failed previously including Linehan?

If it were me, there would be three people that I would exclude from any possibility from the start. Linehan, Martz and Haslett. The idea that they might have learned from their past failures and / or experiences I'd be open to for pretty much anybody else, such as Fassel or Billick, even though I'd rather not go there either. Bringing back any of those three won't provide a fresh start that I think this team needs but it would provide a huge lightening rod, which I don't think this team needs.

I guess we're all going to have to live with what they decide, but I think a choice of somebody like Spagnuolo or Frazier or Ryan would at least be palatable to the vast majority of fans. There's no way to please everybody, but one of those guys I think would be somebody a vast majority of fans would at least be willing to give a good chance to. I'd like to see a new start like that. I don't want to see a continuation of the past in any way, shape or form. Not for the Rams sake and not for the fans sake.

Movin' on needs to be the theme, IMO. I pray it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast