laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Haslett joining Linehan on the "HOT SEAT" IN 2008?

Since Haslett has joined our RAMS we have brought in alot of new faces to help bolster our defense.

Fahkir Brown
    Corey Chavous
    Tye Hill
    Adam Carriker
    Will Witherspoon
    Chris Long
    Clifton Ryan

I'm sure I'm leaving some out but you get my point.

Time for Haslett to put up or shut up!

Ramer is offline Registered User

Re: Haslett joining Linehan on the "HOT SEAT" IN 2008?

laram0, I have to agree. Our defence needs to do something this year or Haslett needs to go.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

i think we will see some improvement, but the biggest help to the defense will come from the offense not being so bad.

The amount of pressure put on the defense because the offense gave the ball away so much was ridiculous

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    i think we will see some improvement, but the biggest help to the defense will come from the offense not being so bad.

The amount of pressure put on the defense because the offense gave the ball away so much was ridiculous

Thank you tomahawk. The best defense is a good offense our offense was terrible last year.

Drummerman1011 is offline Registered User

even with a horrible offense last year, we still had an average defense, I believe it was something like 21st, and we also had a good run D if i remember. Its not bad and the offense and chris long will only help this long, also people being healthy.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

He would have to be. To me, he's a bigger disappointment than Linehan because so much more was expected of him. I know people want to blame the offense for all the defense's woes last season, but the fact is Haslett became too tentative and was severely outcoached in the second half of games. Once offenses made adjustments at the half, the Rams defense never made changes to counter it. He really did lose his balls and brains at halftime.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

I'm going to disagree with you Moloch. Haslett wasn't outcoached in the second half nearly as much as LinnehOlsen was.

the longer your D is on the field, the more chance guys get tired and the more chances an offense begins to pick up on your gameplan. If the D can't pass rush, i don't think it matters how much you try to change the gameplan. The qb will sit in his pocket, matchups are matchups, and the offense will eventually pick you apart.

I think he made what adjustments he could but the D didn't have enough endurance or talent to shut down opponents in the 2nd half since they were on the field an enormous amount of time.

my take was...he had what he had and when the offense died, his D was out on a limb.

Are you contending that he was making bad play calls, creating bad matchups, and putting in errant schemes in the second half? If you do, then you saw something I didn't and I'd be interested in taking a look at what you're referring to. Is there a game you specifically have in mind that I can look at again and evaluate my take?

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Since Haslett has joined our RAMS we have brought in alot of new faces to help bolster our defense.

Fahkir Brown
    Corey Chavous
    Tye Hill
    Adam Carriker
    Will Witherspoon
    Chris Long
    Clifton Ryan

I'm sure I'm leaving some out but you get my point.

Time for Haslett to put up or shut up!
    He has not had much to work with. This was arguably the worst defense in the NFL when he took over 2 seasons ago. They had virtually no talent and zero depth.

I think he has done quite well for what he has been given. The players you name were either rookies, young, or tansitional. There have also been injuries to the players you named along with injuries to others you did not name.

Personally, I think you are off base here.

Brown - injuries - issues

Chavous - veteran transitional player at SS

Hill - injuries

Carriker - rookie

Spoon - surrounding cast - moved to MLB

Long - rookie

Ryan - rookie

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    He would have to be. To me, he's a bigger disappointment than Linehan because so much more was expected of him. I know people want to blame the offense for all the defense's woes last season, but the fact is Haslett became too tentative and was severely outcoached in the second half of games. Once offenses made adjustments at the half, the Rams defense never made changes to counter it. He really did lose his balls and brains at halftime.
    Dude - don't be ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by KoaKoi View Post
    I'm going to disagree with you Moloch. Haslett wasn't outcoached in the second half nearly as much as LinnehOlsen was.

the longer your D is on the field, the more chance guys get tired and the more chances an offense begins to pick up on your gameplan. If the D can't pass rush, i don't think it matters how much you try to change the gameplan. The qb will sit in his pocket, matchups are matchups, and the offense will eventually pick you apart.

I think he made what adjustments he could but the D didn't have enough endurance or talent to shut down opponents in the 2nd half since they were on the field an enormous amount of time.

my take was...he had what he had and when the offense died, his D was out on a limb.

Are you contending that he was making bad play calls, creating bad matchups, and putting in errant schemes in the second half? If you do, then you saw something I didn't and I'd be interested in taking a look at what you're referring to. Is there a game you specifically have in mind that I can look at again and evaluate my take?
    The Steelers defense- which was #1 in the league- was on the field almost exactly 3 minutes less a game. That doesn't sound like "an enormous amount of time" to me. For instance- watch the Falcon game. All the Falcons did was put their QB back in the shotgun in the second half and they started picking this defense apart. Haslett never changed from what he was doing in the first half. I know people want to believe this defense was good and the only thing that held them back was the offense, but that's looking at the world through rose-colored glass. And all the top ranked offenses tore us a new one.

bigredman is offline Registered User

All of this is subjective. The Steelers didn't have the same opponents as the Rams, so direct comparison to them or any other team based on league rankings isn't fair. However, we had trouble stopping other teams from scoring, and we had a hard time scoring ourselves. One scratches the back of the other. We were just a bad team last year. The record proves that out. Key injuries, and a team struggling to find itself (mix in some disgruntled players), and yes some questionable coaching decisions and you got a mess that if it repeats itself again this year...Yes...you'll see Linehan, Haslett, and possibly Saunders gone at the end of the year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keenum is offline Registered User

I thought our defense was much improved over 2006 (which still isn't saying much). They were good for the most part in the 1st half, but just collapsed in the 2nd, due to teams' offenses being able to settle in and figure us out, and probably a bad offseason conditioning program.
    I think as long as the defense gets a bit better next year, he's safe. If they take a step backwards, youd have to review why the defense was bad (did they suffer injuries, out coached, poor performance by players, etc...) before making a choice.

I expect the defense to at least be near the middle of the pack next year, possibly better if Carriker develops and Long can step right in and play well.

Quote Originally Posted by Drummerman1011 View Post
    even with a horrible offense last year, we still had an average defense, I believe it was something like 21st, and we also had a good run D if i remember. Its not bad and the offense and chris long will only help this long, also people being healthy.

21st overall
    21st against the pass
    20th against the run

In his time, we've finished in the bottom 3rd of the league consistantly. As for everyone talking about how badly the Rams offense stunk and that's why the defense was bad- do you remember that Ravens team that won the Superbowl?

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Linehan showed he can't do the playcalling. This year with Saunders i can bet our offense is going to put points up and not get stuck in the redzone as we saw last year (seahawks game). That way Haslett can do his thing and will most likely stay a while longer, because although Chris Long is versatile, we dont want him learning new systems over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by eric2810 View Post
    Linehan showed he can't do the playcalling. This year with Saunders i can bet our offense is going to put points up and not get stuck in the redzone as we saw last year (seahawks game). That way Haslett can do his thing and will most likely stay a while longer, because although Chris Long is versatile, we dont want him learning new systems over and over.

I'm not saying that the offense wasn't to blame- it's hard to stop an offense if you're turning over the ball in your own redzone, but what I am saying is that the defense generally played poorly too- especially in the second half of games. There were games where our offense put up points and had leads just to have the defense let up and blow them. Haslett seemed extremely inconsistant in his playcalling. Are we an aggressive defense who's going to pin back our ears and force offenses to make adjustments to us or are we going to sit back in softzones and be picked apart while reacting to what the offense is doing? I don't think that's been determined yet under Haslett. Believe me- I was stoked when I heard we were hiring him- I was so excited to get rid of that damned glorified prevent known as the Cover 2 and get a guy who was the architect of Blitzburg. Unfortunately, this defense has no identity as of yet and unless he makes serious changes this year, he needs to go.