RamWraith is offline Registered User

Haslett in limbo as St. Louis Rams brass mulls its options

By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

A day after what might have been his final game as the Ramsí head coach, Jim Haslett stood at a lectern at Rams Park on Monday afternoon and tried to reply to reportersí questions for which he could provide few answers. Haslett is in limbo until decisions are made on the second floor at Rams Park.

Q: Will you have a formal interview for the full-time job?

A: ďI donít know. I havenít been informed, I havenít really talked about it. Weíve been busy all morning and havenít really been informed of anything yet.Ē

Q: What do you think the time frame will be for hiring a new head coach?

A: ďI donít know, I really donít. I donít have any idea. I havenít been in this situation. Iím going about business as usual, and then when I find out something Iíll let you know.Ē

Q: What do you think your chances of getting the job are?

A: ďI donít know. I really have no feel for it one way or the other.Ē

Q: What do you do now?

A: ďEvaluate all the players, rank them, grade them, write their strengths, weaknesses, the needs of the football team. Iím going to act like Iím the head coach, and then weíll go from there.Ē

Q: Are you talking with other teams?

A: ďIíve got people around the league that I know, friends and colleagues, so there will be some movement. But I told you before, I like the city, I think this teamís not far away, my family likes this place. So if I have the opportunity, Iíd love to stay. But I understand the business, I understand what goes on, and weíll deal with that when it comes.Ē

<><><>

Notes & quotes:

*LB Pisa Tinoisamoa finished as the Ramsí No. 1 tackler, with 135 ó 26 more than the runner-up, S Oshiomogho Atogwe . Itís the fourth time in his six seasons that Tinoisamoa has topped the list.

*Atogwe was the leader in interceptions (five) and forced fumbles (eight), and tied with CB Jason Craft for first in fumble recoveries (three).

*DE James Hall had a team-high 6.5 sacks, a half more than Leonard Little. The leader in special-tams tackles was rookie Chris Chamberlain (19).

*WR Torry Holtís final numbers for his least productive season since his rookie year: 64 catches, 796 yards, 3 touchdowns.

*Kenneth Darby might have nailed down the kick-return job for next year. He averaged 26.8 yards on five tries, a better mark than Dante Hall (20.6 on 37 returns), Derek Stanley (24.8 on 25) and Travis Minor (22.1 on seven).

*Larry Grant committed an offside penalty that negated a successful onside kick in the first quarter Sunday and was berated by Haslett and special-teams coach Al Roberts. After that, Grant was a monster, piling up five special-teams tackles.

*Rookies wideouts Donnie Avery and Keenan Burton are brimming with promise, but their route-running skills are badly in need of polish.

All for now . .

Falconator Guest

Re: Haslett in limbo as St. Louis Rams brass mulls its options

Politically, I don't think Billy DeVaney can keep Jim Haslett even if he wants to......That would be a "tough sell" to the fans and to ownership. I know Haslett may be popular with the players - but letting the players choose is like letting the inmates run the asylumn.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

*LB Pisa Tinoisamoa finished as the Ramsí No. 1 tackler, with 135 ó 26 more than the runner-up, S Oshiomogho Atogwe . Itís the fourth time in his six seasons that Tinoisamoa has topped the list.

Good job we need to move Spoon back to outside and find a big MLB.
    :ramlogo:

Mooselini is offline Registered User

This shows a few things for us.

The Haz probably won't be back. I don't think the Rams could sell the Haz as our coach.

Avery and Burton seriously need to polish their route running. Which is why I believe we need to keep Holt around.

Tinoisamoa is still a good player. Get the MLB to fill in and have Spoon and Tinoisamoa on the out side.

I think Stanley will end up winning the returning position next season. However, I believe Darby earned the second back spot for next season.

GameTime is offline Registered User

I like holt and respect what he has done for the Rams. Its obvious he isnt happy here. Let him go. He shouldnt be subject to this mess any longer. As far as Avery and Burton's route running; isnt that what the WR coach is for? has Ellard done nothing to help Bruce and Holt?

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

I don't think it's fair to keep him in the postion he is in if you have no thought of keeping him,fire him and then interview him like you would everyone else instead of having him do head coach stuff and then kick him to the curb.

d4nnystl539 is offline Registered User

I really hope Stanley gets a shot in the offense or as a return man. I think he can bring something to this team and deserves a shot. But, it should be kind of hard for him to fit in to the offense next year if Holt decides to stay while Bennett and McMichael come back from injuries. Plus, behind those receiving options are Avery and Burton. He may get a couple chances here and there but i would like to see him get the ball more as our return man. Hopefully he sticks around for a while so he can be part of our future 3 WR set behind Burton and Avery. May "Teen Squad" live on.