RamWraith is offline Registered User

Haslett miffed at media, defends his defenders

Biggest challenge: defending against foes' rushing game
    BY STEVE KORTE
    News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS - St. Louis Rams defensive coordinator Jim Haslett blew up on Monday during his weekly press conference over what he considered negative press coverage of his run defense.

The Rams gave up 171 rushing yards, including 134 yards by running back Frank Gore, in the Rams' 20-17 win over the San Francisco ***** on Sunday.

The Rams now officially rank 32nd among the NFL's 32 teams in run defense with an average of 154.8 rushing yards allowed per game.

Gore brings the number of opposing rushers to gain 100 or more yards against the Rams this season to nine.

"I'm sick of talking about the (freaking) yardage," Haslett said. "I look at the (Indianapolis) Colts who are right beside us (in run defense), and they're 10-1. I pick up the paper every week and read about the yardage we've given up. It is what it is. All right? We haven't done well. We actually fit well, the best we've ever played, and they still had 170 rushing on us.

"We're ninth (actually 10th) in the league in pass defense, we've given up four (actually five) touchdowns in the last three games. You don't write that stuff. We're fourth in the league in turnovers. We had two (actually three) turnovers this game. You don't write that stuff. You always write the negative stuff. Well, write some positive stuff once in a while. We're fighting as best as we can to stop the run, and we're going to keep working at it."

Injury report

Rookie defensive end Victor Adeyanju will miss 3-4 weeks due to a broken right forearm suffered in the first quarter against the *****.

"He's definitely out the next two to three ballgames," Rams coach Scott Linehan said of Adeyanju. "They put a cast on it, but it's going to take some time for him to be able to play with it. It's pretty painful."

Adeyanju became a starter in Week 3 after Anthony Hargrove was benched for a game due to skipping practice and subsequently traded to the Buffalo Bills on Oct. 16.

Adejyanju had 40 tackles and one sack going into the game against the *****.

"He's raw," Haslett said of Adeyanju. "He's a guy that's tough, he has great physical skills. He's limited in pass rush. He's kind of learning as he goes, and I thought he was getting better and better every game. This is an unfortunate setback for him because he was starting to come around. I think in the long run he is going to be a pretty good player."

Linehan said Brandon Green and Claude Wroten, a defensive tackle by trade, will replace Adeyanju at right defensive end.

"Brandon had a very good game, actually his best game of the year, yesterday," Linehan said. "The very last pass of the game, he pressured the quarterback and forced a hurried throw. He actually held up well at times against the run. He always has great energy, a great motor when he plays."

Eric Moore, a second-year player signed on Nov. 14, also will see some playing time in a rotation at defensive end.

Linebacker and special teams ace Isaiah Kacyvenski has already been ruled out for the Rams' game against the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday due to a concussion.

Linehan said center Richie Incognito was scheduled to undergo an MRI on his sprained foot.

"It's basically a midfoot sprain to his right foot," Linehan said. "We'll know more between now and tomorrow as to how significant of an injury it is. It's something that he probably could play with as long as there is nothing wrong with the foot itself as far as a fracture or something like that."

Rookie tight end Joe Klopfenstein suffered a slight concussion. Linehan said the Rams will have a better idea of whether Klopfenstein will be available against the Cardinals after he goes through practice on Wednesday.

Quarterback Marc Bulger (bruised ribs), fullback Madison Hedgecock (sprained left ankle), cornerback Tye Hill (thigh), right guard Adam Timmerman (ribs), middle linebacker Will Witherspoon (right hamstring strain) and Wroten (right hamstring strain) all have minor injuries that aren't expected to cost them any playing time.

Quick hits

Haslett said there were three Rams defenders involved in stopping San Francisco's Michael Robinson on a crucial third-and-1 deep in St. Louis territory late in the fourth quarter.

"Actually, everybody played it pretty well, but there were three main guys," Haslett said. "(Brandon) Chillar made an outstanding play getting off the block of Vernon Davis, Pisa (Tinoisamoa) kind of wrapped it up, and the guy who finished it all was Raonall Smith by knocking the guy back at the last second after a six-inch gain."

Linehan said the coaching staff opted to have an extra defensive back active on Sunday instead of kickoff returner Willie Ponder because they were concerned about Hill's health.

Cornerback Tye Hill's three interceptions ties him with Baltimore's Dawan Landry and Carolina's Richard Marshall for the most by a rookie this season.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Re: Haslett miffed at media, defends his defenders

"I'm sick of talking about the (freaking) yardage," Haslett said. "I look at the (Indianapolis) Colts who are right beside us (in run defense), and they're 10-1. I pick up the paper every week and read about the yardage we've given up. It is what it is. All right? We haven't done well. We actually fit well, the best we've ever played, and they still had 170 rushing on us.
    At this point in the season as long as the defense is making plays when they have to I'll be happy.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

chiguy is offline Registered User

Jim Hasslet, ladies and gentlemen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Haslett miffed at media, defends his defenders-shower-baby-040.jpg  

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I am happy to see some fire coming from Haslett. I would rather see him angry then complacent.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'd rather he find a way to fix the problem then crying about how the media treats him.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

keep in mind we have gone up against some of the best running backs in the league. Until we find that run stuffing DT we will continue to get burned by the run.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    I am happy to see some fire coming from Haslett. I would rather see him angry then complacent.
    i would rather see that fire coming from the defense and not the coach.

thoey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    i would rather see that fire coming from the defense and not the coach.
    It has to start some where. I think he should direct it towards the players instead of the media, but I like hearing it any ways.
    This space for rent...

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BIG-BLUE View Post
    keep in mind we have gone up against some of the best running backs in the league. Until we find that run stuffing DT we will continue to get burned by the run.
    This season every RB we go up against seems to be 1 of the best in the league:x :\

On the other hand, we've been torched by backups at Green Bay, Seattle, and Carolina too.