HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Haslett is the most important man now at Rams Park

Haslett is the most important man now at Rams Park
    By Bernie Miklasz
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    09/07/2006

With all due respect to head coach Scott Linehan, the most important football man at Rams Park this season is the defensive coordinator, Jim Haslett.

I'm not trying to insult Linehan. He seems like a sharp guy and a good person, even with his peculiar desire to control the media at Rams Park. As one Rams employee said Wednesday, "And we thought Mike Martz was paranoid?" That's OK; a lot of rookie coaches tend to be insecure. And Linehan probably will grow out of it. Linehan will do what team president John Shaw hired him to do: keep the offense running smoothly. When Shaw shopped for a new head coach, he identified two priorities. First, maintain the high offensive standards established by Martz. Shaw didn't want to throw away the offense; he just didn't want Martz to coach it anymore. And second, Shaw wanted to land a prominent defensive coordinator.

If Shaw hired a defensive boss as head coach, he fretted the offense would suffer. Shaw feared that if he went with a defensive-oriented head coach -- say, Chicago assistant Ron Rivera -- the Rams would search in vain for a highly capable offensive coordinator. There were more solid defensive coordinators on the job market than OCs, and that drove Shaw's thinking.

So Linehan got the gig, in part, because having him as the head coach would make it easier to find a defensive coordinator such as Haslett, who had been fired as New Orleans' head coach after six seasons, 45 wins and the only playoff victory in Saints history.

It's almost like nominating a president because you want to get the right vice president.

Linehan knows offense, and he has an impressive résumé for orchestrating offenses, so he should get plenty of points out of the group that includes Torry Holt, Orlando Pace, Isaac Bruce and Marc Bulger. So we can reasonably expect the status quo when the Rams have the football.

And that's why Haslett, the VP, is actually the most important football figure at Rams Park. Unless the Rams make a sudden and lasting improvement on defense, we're looking at a long, hideous season.

After two seasons of watching the Rams defense all but nod off and lose consciousness in the huddle under the direction of the impossibly dull Larry Marmie, the wild-man Haslett is a human defibrillator.

As a player, Haslett bloodied noses as an acclaimed linebacker for the Buffalo Bills. As a fiery assistant coach, Haslett helped strengthen the defensive spine in Oakland and Pittsburgh. As a quote machine, the brazenly candid Haslett always spoke his mind, and players tapped into his fearlessness.

And as the Saints' head coach, Haslett put together one of the few defenses capable of intimidating the Martz "Greatest Show" offense in St. Louis. Haslett's defense in New Orleans wasn't always effective, but his defensive players always established their presence by hitting opponents in the mouth.

"Jim's experienced," Linehan said. "He brings great leadership to the group because he did it as a player and a coach and as a head coach. You can't just walk in and have that kind of credibility in the room; you've got to earn that, and Jim has earned that."

Haslett needs better personnel, and the Rams tried to restock by spending $73.5 million on a free-agent haul that included tackle La'Roi Glover, linebacker Will Witherspoon, strong safety Corey Chavous and cornerback Fakhir Brown. Then Rams also invested their No. 1 draft pick on cornerback Tye Hill. There are more holes to fill; the Rams' front seven could be stomped by a strong running game as soon as Sunday's regular season-opener against Denver.

For the Rams to have a winning season and grab a playoff spot, Haslett will have to motivate and elevate the Rams defense to play above its talent level. More than anyone, he is in a position to make the biggest impact at Rams Park.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Re: Haslett is the most important man now at Rams Park

I've got to give some props to my man, Avenger, on this one. A long time ago, he predicted Bernie would attempt to stir up controversy at Rams Park. Bernie made a living off the soap opera of the Martz administration, and is needing the same thing now.

Bravo, Avenger, you nailed it!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Aquitted Killer is offline Registered User

Ya, know, while the headline is a sh!t disturber, I couldn't ageee more with the context. Bernie most definetly likes to stir things up, but let's not forget what headlines are for: to capture your attention so you'll read the artical.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

The way the selection of Linehan vs a defensive minded headcoach makes alot of sense to me. This will stir up things a bit I'm sure.

general counsel is offline Registered User

i dont think it stirs anything up where it counts, which is in the locker room and between the coaches. Who cares what the fans think?

At the end of the day, its this simple. If we win, everyone, including the fans, will be happy. IF we dont, people wont be happy.

Calling a defensive coordinator the most important guy at rams park is a joke anyway. We are going to win or lose because of the players, not the coaches. IF the players execute, we have the talent to win.

Is haslett going to get on the field and tackle anyone? If he going to catch an interception that hits him in the hands? All he can do is get guys in the right place, he cant make the play.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by GC
    i dont think it stirs anything up where it counts, which is in the locker room and between the coaches. Who cares what the fans think?
    Who cares? Bernie, that's who.

Don't get me wrong, GC....I get the feeling the lockerroom and coaches' office could care less what BM has to say. But he had a field day with the whole "Martz is paranoid", "Martz' ego gets in the way", "Martz vs. Shaw/Zygmunt". That soap opera kept him from having to do any real reporting on this team for quite some time. It seems to me he would give his eye teeth to have that back....especially with Linehan cutting off the media's exposure.

As long as Bernie can con HIS fans into believing it, the rest doesn't matter.

TNRamFan23 is offline Registered User

Not to discount anyone else, But I'm glad Haslett is here. It seems like we haven't had a defense in well, ever.. maybe he can make them feared.

general counsel is offline Registered User

he can certainly make them feared to the extent that the overall talent level improves and guys like kennedy and hargrove develop to their potential. signing witherspoon and glover hopefully helps, although we did lose pickett.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm not trying to insult Linehan. He seems like a sharp guy and a good person, even with his peculiar desire to control the media at Rams Park. As one Rams employee said Wednesday, "And we thought Mike Martz was paranoid?" That's OK; a lot of rookie coaches tend to be insecure. And Linehan probably will grow out of it.
    Sounds like an attempt at revenge for what Bernie sees as an unjust media access policy. Shameful.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'm not trying to insult Linehan. He seems like a sharp guy and a good person, even with his peculiar desire to control the media at Rams Park. As one Rams employee said Wednesday, "And we thought Mike Martz was paranoid?" That's OK; a lot of rookie coaches tend to be insecure.
    What an unneccesary attempt to stir **** on Bernie's part. I haven't been one of the guys to criticise Bernie in the past, I didn't feel like I knew enough of his work to judge him. Now that has changed, I see Avenger was right all along on Bernie, he really does deserve everything he gets. It is as predictable as it is pathetic.

Ask yourself, isn't it logical to have one person who's mainly in charge of media relations? As opposed to having everyone air their differences out in the open media landscape and thereby allow the media to create needless controversy around the team.

Of course that needless controversy is what keeps food on (some) journalists tables, so it's no surprise to see a few disappointed journalists. But guess what, a football team isn't there to satisfy journalists. Depending on who you ask the main purpose is to win championships or simply to make money, preferably both. No one but the media would expect the journalists to be the center of attention, they're just supposed to deliver news around the team and write their opinions and experiences with what they see. They're the messengers, or at least that's how it's supposed to be, however some journalists get delusions of grandeur and start creating their own news, only vaguely related to actual events. Such journalists feed on change, status quo is not an interesting read, that's why you see journalists building up guys one week, showering them with praise, and then tearing them down the next week. That's the way journalism works.

And thus, that is the kind of behavior you need to expect when dealing with the media, and you need to react to that. If I was in Linehan's shoes - you bet my staff wouldn't be wasting their time talking to journalists trying to twist their words and create imagined rifts and conflicts to draw attention to themselves and their "inside scoops". You need to centralise dealing with the media, that way the team will present one official viewpoint. Call it a dictatorship if you will, that's the way governments work, that's the way companies work etc. That is simply how you organise media relations in large organisations to present a coherent viewpoint with no chance for journalists to create controversy that isn't there. In my opinion that is how you run any professional organisation, football clubs included. So the Rams should (and I'm sure will) simply continue with current policies, the journalists can take it or leave it, others will take their place if they're not satisfied with the job or not good enough at it.

So if you read this Bernie, or indeed any other journalist or would-be journalist out there, and if you only take away one lesson from this post, make it this one:
    Always remember YOU are not the stars of this show, you never will be. You are replacable parts, welcome to the machine.
    Last edited by RamOfDenmark; -09-07-2006 at 03:40 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I barely even need to comment on this one.

Bernie is like a little kid. He feels ignored, so he tries to get under everyone's skin so he'll get some attention.

Not to mention that his premise is likely incorrect... The Rams probably could have, if they moved quickly enough, hired Rivera (a defensive guru) as Head Coach, and then hired Al Saunders (the perfect person to carry on the Martz offense) as offensive coordinator.

Trust me, this is just the beginning. Bernie will continue taking backhanded shots at Linehan while either pumping up Haslett, or claiming that there is a Linehan/Haslett rift.

But why should we be surprised. Clearly, Bernie spends much more time watching Jerry Springer than he does watching NFL Films productions. He's just writing about that which he is familiar with.

Rambos is offline Registered User

"Other teams Closing workouts is a trend. Only nine of the NFL's 32 teams open all of practice".

This seems to the norm, when most team are closing practice how can you say Linehan is paranoid?

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

:l

No big deal here.

Just your basic back to school, two for the price of one special, on low grade inventory reduction.

You get, the slam on Bernie and the plug for Av, all in one shot.

Bernie's opinions are.....well, nothing more than opinions. No surprise, we all have them now and then.

Really folks, this will have absolutely zero bearing towards what takes place on the field, come Sunday.

Cheers All

LETS GO RAMS!!!

:l

RealRam is offline Registered User

Totally agree, Ferter.

What the so-called "writers", wherever they are, only serve to keep the flame going. Unfortunately, some are only wet blankets, at best.

Some are gifted, sincere and unselfish, their opinions provide unbiased truth and this, in effect, does help us fans remain informed, sometimes excited and hopeful, sometimes frustrated or sad.

I feel Coach Haslett will do very well in restoring the Rams D to a B.

Big Bernie sometimes just doesn't blurb "correctly" what he sees or blurt "properly" what he thinks. That sounds like me [I'll have to see if there's an opportunity for my traits at the STL Post-Dispatch or, perhaps with ESPN!]

PS: BTW, always liked that picture of The Merlin, the one on your current avatar. Looks like he is saying, "You're next!"

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I was hoping that I'd be able to go through the entire season without commenting once about Bernard and his unfortunate habit of writing mean little pieces that serve to scratch some itch afflicting his ego.

After reading his piece over a cup of coffee this morning, I was struck by the fact that he seemed needled at Linehan's approach to the media. I particularly noticed his patronising comment regarding new coaches and their habit of going through these phases and 'growing out of it'.

He has therefore taken the opportunity, on the eve of an opening game to write what could generously be termed misplaced, but realistically termed spiteful, piece that seeks to enervate a debate deemed dead a long time ago.

He does this because he's put out that Linehan has sought to be discreet in the run up to the game and he feels slighted.

And before he would claim some feeble adherence to journalistic integrity, I'd like to point out that Bernard has written for some time now from the viewpoint of the partisan Ram fan, which compounds his error in my view.

This man's ego would seem to be looming large in his portfolio of work at the moment.