Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Haslett not a cure-all, but an important piece to the puzzle

There seem to be a few, particularly among our visitors from the Saints fan community, that want to argue that Jim Haslett won't solve Rams' defensive problems.

I agree that, by himself, Haslett is not enough.

The Rams need more talent on defense. They need some hitters, some tacklers, and some playmakers. FA and the draft will likely have more to do with the Rams' success than the selection of Haslett.

That said, I think Haslett will make the Rams better on defense than Larry Marmie ever could.

Marmie's problem is that he tries to coach defense the way Mike Martz coaches offense. He wants the defense to be intricate and sophisticated... a thinking man's defense.

While that approach can work on offense (particularly in the passing game), its wrong for an NFL defense.

NFL defenses need to be tough and aggressive. They need to be more instinctual than intellectual. They need to be about attitude.
    That's what I think Haslett brings to the defense. I think we will see players who underperformed under Marmie improving greatly merely because Haslett will turn them loose. He won't be on the sideline saying "you need to watch the blitz angle on the x-gap when faced with an overloaded protection scheme," he'll be saying "go and hit that SOB until he cries!"

That's what the Rams' defense needs.

denverram is offline Registered User

Re: Haslett not a cure-all, but an important piece to the puzzle

I agree Avenger. The Rams Def this year was a read and react defense (slowly react) With a group that has suspect talent that has seen the leaders ( Winstrom and Fisher) leave recently their needs to be a go out and hits somebody... attitude on defense. This can also translate over to the ST aspect of the game. If guys have that attitude on defense, the guys who play on special will naturally have it.

This does not mean we do not have to draft an impact stud for the defense. We need to do whatever is required to get either Hawk or Huff in the draft. Defense is attitude!!!:clanram:

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

They need some hitters, some tacklers, and some playmakers. FA and the draft will likely have more to do with the Rams' success than the selection of Haslett.
    HIT SOMEBODY!:clanram:

Defense is all about attitude, and hitting. Where are you Toby Wright?

Though we need some FA upgrades and an impact player via the draft, I don't think we are that far off with the current players on D.

I might be alone here, but IMO Claiborne might be more of an impact in the middle this season.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

I might be alone here, but IMO Claiborne might be more of an impact in the middle this season.
    I dont think he ever got a shot. John Shaw should make Marmie pay the Rams back for the 1st year of Claiborne and COakley's contracts. If they arent even going to see the field, why waste money on them? Given the chance, I still think that Claiborne could be effective.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Rambos is online now Registered User

NFL defenses need to be tough and aggressive. They need to be more instinctual than intellectual. They need to be about attitude.
    That's what I think Haslett brings to the defense. I think we will see players who underperformed under Marmie improving greatly merely because Haslett will turn them loose. He won't be on the sideline saying "you need to watch the blitz angle on the x-gap when faced with an overloaded protection scheme," he'll be saying "go and hit that SOB until he cries!"
    I agree AV, thats one reason I would not mind getting TE-Vernon Davis first round.

Haslett may not make us a top ten D his first year with the current roster, but he will get these guys to play with some passion. Without adding one guy to the roster, we just got better, no doubt. The scheme we played was a joke, and so was our defense. That’s all about to change

sbramfan is offline Registered User

I think the Wistrom/Fisher losses have been huge.

Hopefully Archuletta will look more like the guy that played with Lovie if they put him in more of an instinctive role. This conversion to a psuedo free safety/strong safety was a disaster.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sbramfan
    I don't think they were huge, we miss them but not huge. The loss of London Fletcher was HUGE.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

I think we definitely need more Corey Ivy type players. He comes from a Buccaneer backround, so you can see where his explosiveness originated from. I wish we could have gotten Kiffin!

RAM-BO is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68

Im with you RamMan, I see Claiborne being the Van Den (Der?) Bosch of 2006.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sbramfan

Hopefully Archuletta will look more like the guy that played with Lovie if they put him in more of an instinctive role. This conversion to a psuedo free safety/strong safety was a disaster.
    Arch is gone, gone, gone. Won't be re-signed. HE HASN'T BEEN AND NEVER WILL BE A FIRST CLASS PASS DEFENDER. I don't care how many tackles he or any other saftey gets, if he can't defend against the pass he is of no use to us.

MSRamman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAM-BO
    I think we definitely need more Corey Ivy type players. He comes from a Buccaneer backround, so you can see where his explosiveness originated from. I wish we could have gotten Kiffin!
    I agree, Ram-Bo, Ivy definitely came on very strong at the end of the season, and I may be imagining it, but Hargrove and Bartell, if given the right direction, I think could be impact players for this D.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Haslett is one great defensive coach. The Saints D was great until they lost many of their key studs through free agency (they got tired of losing due to a pathetic offense). I would like to see a quality free agency pick up at both linebacker and secondary, with talent drafted at those positions as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Speck Killer is offline Registered User

I swear to you, this aint sour grapes. AvengerRam, what have you saw from Haslett that makes you think Haslett will turn the defense loose? You sure did not see it in NO. Haslett did not turn anything loose. That was part or our problem, we did not blitz enough. Now, that could have been because of the personel, but he picked them draft and free agent wise. Bigredman, how do you figure Haslett is one great denfensive coach? 6 years and at the bottom every year in defensive stats. We couldn't stop the run to save our lives and Haslett is a former linebacker. Yall will probably not believe me no matter what I say so the only thing I can say is to look up the stats. I know you think you are getting this fiery guy from what yall have seen when we play the Rams, but the reality is he never challenges a player and the Saints were the most undisciplined team in the NFL. Bryan Cox on the NFL network commenting on Haslett the day he was fired. " I have never practiced like we did for the Saints, we never finished plays, if we messed up the coaches would say, don't worry about it we will come back to it later in the week". "When I played for Belechick and the other coaches, they would make you do the plays until you got them right, they didn't care if it took all night". Just a litttle heads up because it seems you guys see a very different coach from a far than we did close up. Guys, if he was awesome, I would be the first to tell you the way it is. I guess the best way to put it is don't believe the hype.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Speck Killer
    I swear to you, this aint sour grapes. AvengerRam, what have you saw from Haslett that makes you think Haslett will turn the defense loose? You sure did not see it in NO. Haslett did not turn anything loose. That was part or our problem, we did not blitz enough. Now, that could have been because of the personel, but he picked them draft and free agent wise. Bigredman, how do you figure Haslett is one great denfensive coach? 6 years and at the bottom every year in defensive stats. We couldn't stop the run to save our lives and Haslett is a former linebacker. Yall will probably not believe me no matter what I say so the only thing I can say is to look up the stats. I know you think you are getting this fiery guy from what yall have seen when we play the Rams, but the reality is he never challenges a player and the Saints were the most undisciplined team in the NFL. Bryan Cox on the NFL network commenting on Haslett the day he was fired. " I have never practiced like we did for the Saints, we never finished plays, if we messed up the coaches would say, don't worry about it we will come back to it later in the week". "When I played for Belechick and the other coaches, they would make you do the plays until you got them right, they didn't care if it took all night". Just a litttle heads up because it seems you guys see a very different coach from a far than we did close up. Guys, if he was awesome, I would be the first to tell you the way it is. I guess the best way to put it is don't believe the hype.
    In the last 6 years was Haslett a D Coordinator in New Orleans??????? No. I have already explained it, but here goes again. It's a totally different job being a head coach than a D Coord. That's the difference.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

It's a little sobering though all the same rb.................

I'll wait til' training camp to see what the craic is on this guy. He seemed up for it when we were in the same division.

I'm still happy with the hire and as rb points out his attention this time will be solely D.

And Bryan Cox was known for being a little volatile wasn't he?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast