Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Haslett not a cure-all, but an important piece to the puzzle

Haslett is an upgrade over Marmie. End of story. I don't really care whether he did a good job as HC in New Orleans. He's not the Rams HC.

Blankman17 is offline Registered User

I'm of this same argument, Avenger. Here at Dear Ol' Nebraska U, we brought on a gent by the name of John Blake which I'm sure several members know. He was a head coach at Oklahoma and did very poorly there.

Nebraska hired him as a defensive line coach and for his recruiting abilities. Both areas have improved significantly. Sometimes when you remove responsibilities and put people in more comfortable places, they excel.

Speck Killer is offline Registered User

I think that is a good way to take it Fat Pang. All I can tell yall about is his record and stats here. The one thing I don't understand is how some people on here keep saying that since he will be a defensive coordinator only, that he should be a better coach. My philosophy is that since he was a defensive cooridinator before becoming our head coach, the defense should have been our strong suit, and to the contrary it was the weakest part of our team consistently for 5 years, linebacker to be even more specific. How can a former linebacker and defensive coordinator have defenses that suck so badly? You may argue that he loss this person or that to free agency, but when we won the playoff game against you guys, Haslett won with Ditka's personel. Just take a look at the stats and record and if you believe them to be an indicator of someones future performance then you can only come to the conclusion that Haslett teams underachieve.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Speck Killer
    Just take a look at the stats and record and if you believe them to be an indicator of someones future performance then you can only come to the conclusion that Haslett teams underachieve.
    Well it's a good thing that this is Linehan's team then.
    Last edited by ramsbruce; -01-29-2006 at 03:19 AM.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

eldfan is offline Registered User

My understanding is that most experts thinks that Haslett will be a head coach soon. I can't imaged that he would not be aggressive in his play calling. If he want's to be a head coach again he will try to impress the owners and put his best foot forward. I expect Haslett will do a very good job.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Speck Killer
    Bigredman, how do you figure Haslett is one great denfensive coach? 6 years and at the bottom every year in defensive stats. We couldn't stop the run to save our lives and Haslett is a former linebacker. Yall will probably not believe me no matter what I say so the only thing I can say is to look up the stats. I know you think you are getting this fiery guy from what yall have seen when we play the Rams, but the reality is he never challenges a player and the Saints were the most undisciplined team in the NFL. Bryan Cox on the NFL network commenting on Haslett the day he was fired. " I have never practiced like we did for the Saints, we never finished plays, if we messed up the coaches would say, don't worry about it we will come back to it later in the week". "When I played for Belechick and the other coaches, they would make you do the plays until you got them right, they didn't care if it took all night". Just a litttle heads up because it seems you guys see a very different coach from a far than we did close up. Guys, if he was awesome, I would be the first to tell you the way it is. I guess the best way to put it is don't believe the hype.
    Bryan Cox? Your source is Bryan Cox? Well thats one out of about 30 other ex-players, coaches, and analysts that admire Haslett's ability at defense that I've seen comment on his hiring to the Rams. The disciplinary problems of the Saints' players have gotten many a coach fired in New Orleans. I don't know what it is, but I liken it to the LA Dodgers. Lots of talent, but never able to bring it together to win.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12