RamWraith is offline Registered User

Haslett and Others Comments

Head Coach Jim Haslett

September 30, 2008

(On what he thought about his first day as head coach of the Rams)

“It should be spirited like most first practices. I thought they did a nice job under the circumstances. Guys practiced hard, we tried to keep the intensity up, obviously there is not an opponent to play, so we did competitive (team) against each other, so that made it a little bit faster practice.”

(On letting the media watch the practice)

“It is no big deal to me, it is just a couple guys out there watching practice, so it doesn’t really make a difference. I think the thing about this football team, I want them to feel good about themselves, I want the city to start to feel good about this team and obviously we have to get some wins, and I want the organization to feel good. If we can get some positive press and you guys like it out there then I am all for it. We have nothing to hide, we are just going to practice hard. Maybe at least, you could see at least how we practice and how we prepare and you could pass that on because we are going to work hard and we are going to practice hard and maybe if you see that then you will relay that to the fans, that will help out a little bit.”

(On if QB Marc Bulger will be the starting quarterback for the remainder of the season)
    “ Yeah (QB) Marc (Bulger) is going to be the quarterback and he will be the starting quarterback for the rest of the year unless something happens. I talked to (QB) Mark (Bulger) and (QB) Trent (Green) about it and it is more of a gut feeling on my part. I talked to most of the offensive coaches and everybody involved and I thought Marc would give us the best opportunity to win games for the next three months.”

(On if there will be more changes in the starting line up)

“I see most of them staying pat. I see us trying to do things a little bit better in all areas. I think we have some pretty good backups, I don’t want to say backups, guys that can play. I thought what we did on defense with (DT) La’Roi (Glover) being with the second group and that really keep him fresh and he did a nice job pass rushing so things like that. We will try to utilize our players the best we can, I talked to the offensive guys about getting our playmakers the ball like (WR) Torry (Holt) and (WR) Donnie (Avery) and (RB) Steven (Jackson), those three in particular. I would like to see Torry touch the ball a little bit more, especially early in the game.”

(On T Orlando Pace’s and LB Will Witherspoon’s injuires)

“Will has a shoulder (injury) and we just have to keep him out until next Wednesday. It’s a slight tear in his shoulder, but nothing major. And Orlando’s basically the same thing, he’s just a little sore and we’re going to keep him out until next Wednesday. And then you have the other injuries. We have (WR) Dane (Looker) we held out for precautionary reasons, we’ll do the same thing with Dane. And then obviously (CB) Tye (Hill) had surgery on Thursday and (TE) Randy (McMichael) we have to decide what we’re going to do with Randy because his injury will probably be a minimum eight weeks and hopefully not longer, but we’ll decide here in the next couple days.”

(On TE Randy McMichael’s injury)

“Randy has a broken tibia and there’s some other issues. Normally, it’s a six-week injury, but he has a couple other things. We’re going to make sure that we take care of him and we don’t put him on the field too early. It could be something that we could wait on or it could be that we put him on IR. I want to talk to Randy about it first and see how he feels. It’s not a good thing for the team because the guy’s a good football player, but it’s something we’ll deal with.”

(On how he will mend things with QB Marc Bulger after his benching)

“I don’t think there’s any fences to be mended; they need to play better. There’s a reason why you get benched and there’s a reason why you’re out there playing. I think that the players know that they have to be accountable also. Obviously, Scott (Linehan) was held accountable and now I think it’s the players’ turn to step up and be accountable. Marc understands that and he understands that I have full confidence in that he’s going to go out there and do his job and I think he understands what I expect from him.”

(On his message to the players today)

“You know what, I’ll let you ask them because I don’t like to say. But the way the media is nowadays, you ain’t hiding anything. So, I’m not trying to hide anything, I never will, but I’ll let those guys address that.”

(On T Orlando Pace’s injury)

“It’s his shoulder, overall soreness. It’s Tuesday. For guys that have played you understand that sometimes it takes you until Wednesday or Thursday to come around. This is a day off for them really, a normal day off. So, I thought for a group that’s sore and it’s a day off that they practiced pretty well.”

(On TE Joe Klopfenstein becoming active in the offense)

“Here’s a kid who started 16 games his rookie year and then he kind of falls off the face of the earth. I told Joe, he needs to get back out there and start playing like the guy we drafted in the second round and be productive and block and run the right routes. I’m expecting Joe to step up to the plate here.”

(On playing some of the kids more)

“I think some of the younger guys we have need to step up and play. I don’t know if they’re kids, but they’ve been out here long enough and they need to play.”

(On if the injury to TE Randy McMichael will take 6-8 weeks to heal or 6-8 weeks until he has finished rehab)

“I don’t know because I’m not a doctor. I would say two months off is a long time for any athlete and then the two months off and not running and then you talk about trying to get back in condition and all that. I’m not really sure and I’m not a doctor, but I would say that to me, it would be hard to come back and play.”

(On if he got any sleep)

“I got some sleep. I went to bed about 11 (p.m.). I tried to stay up and watch that Steeler game yesterday and got to sleep about 11 (p.m.) and I get up at about 4 (a.m.) everyday to come to work. I can’t help that, I just get up.”

(On if it was different at practice being the head coach)

“It wasn’t much different. I did get lost a couple of times, started walking into the defense room and turned around. I spent time with the offense a little bit, spent time with them on the field. I forgot the whistle, little things like that. It will come, it’s not a big deal. It is kind of boring to be honest with you. You kind of stand around and you aren’t coaching, coaching. You’re not yelling at anybody.”

(On if he game-planned for Washington today)

“We haven’t. We’re going to hold that. We’ll do a little bit of it tomorrow, but most of it will be done on Tuesday, the normal day. Try to settle down this week and let everybody get out of here. We’ll practice tomorrow and then after that, we’ll let everybody get out of here and kind of clean their minds out and be ready to go next week.”

(On the coaches leaving as well)

“Yes.”

(On how much time CB Tye Hill will miss due to surgery)

“I think Tye is going to be probably three to four games, especially for a corner. Obviously having a bye this week will help. Hopefully we can get him back in three.”

(On what his injury is)

“He had a meniscus tear, a big meniscus tear. They went in and cleaned it out. If it was a big defensive lineman or offensive lineman, you could probably get away with a couple of weeks. The guy is a skill guy who uses speed so he’ll probably take another week. One thing about Tye, with all the injuries he’s had, he’s a quick healer for some reason. He’ll be back as soon as he can.”

Rams QB Marc Bulger

September 30, 2008

(On when he got the news that he was the starting quarterback again)

“Coach Jim (Haslett) told me this morning before practice so I am trying to get a good day of practice in today and tomorrow. I think he just wanted to get me back in there and in the rhythm of things.”

(On if coach Jim Haslett told him he was the starter for the rest of the season)

“He made everything pretty clear to me. Coach (Scott) Linehan told me last week that it wasn’t a permanent thing. I knew at sometime I was going to be back, sooner rather than later.”

(On what these past two weeks have been like)

“It has been pretty nuts for everyone. Last week was certainly a difficult week but I did not have to play so it is tougher on guys who had to go out and play physically and get all the bumps and bruises.”

(On what it felt like running the scout team in practice)

“I ran it a little bit last year unfortunately too. It is one of those things where you just have to go out there and swallow your pride and stay in game shape because at any point in the game you could be in there. I have seen it with guys having to back me up, (QB) Gus (Frerotte) had to come in before. It is a tough position to be in but you just have to be ready. Watching the game, I know myself, I hate watching but (QB) Trent (Green) did a great job. You just want to be out there helping your guys going through these pains because it will be easy once we turn this around but you want to be there even in the bad times.”

(On why he had a football in his hands on the sidelines the whole game against the Buffalo Bills)

“I don’t know. I know I was throwing a lot. I don’t know if it is my body type but I get tight pretty quick so I kept the rock close to me and keep myself loose. I just wanted to be ready. I did not realize I had it the whole game.”

(On if he said he never wanted to play for Coach Scott Linehan again)

“I know that I did not talk to you guys (last week) and there was no particular reason why I did not talk to you guys last week, it was just, I was definitely upset about the decision but it was the head coach’s decision and I lived with it. I think me speaking on it would not have done anything. I did not want to distraction to the team. That is not who I am and coach Linehan knew that I would be ready. The minute I wasn’t sure he knew it or not and the report came out, we talked in his office and he knew I would be ready. First quarter, half time, third quarter, so I don’t think it was ever an issue. I practiced hard and I took every rep with the practice squad so don’t think it was ever going to be an issue.”

(On how the team can get their confidence back)

“I think coach (Jim Haslett) has made it pretty clear to us this morning that we have to win. Offensively, if we can get a rhythm, we got a little bit of that in the first half last week, but if we can keep the pressure on defenses, it is one of those things, when defenses are back on their heels, you can sense it, the crowd can sense it, and you get that momentum. If we can finish drives and put more points on the broad just from an offensive stand point and keep defenses on the heels, we will get that. And that goes to the rest of the team. And if the defense can get turnovers then that will get us going so it is going to be a collective thing. We have been good with stints but we all just have to mesh at the same time to get that going.”

(On if it feels like a fresh start with the coaching change and bye week)

“Yeah, I mean it’s definitely a different feeling today. No Coach (Scott) Linehan coming up and speaking to you, the team. Things have changed a little bit, I know the schedule is kind of the same, but their personalities are little bit different. I think it will be good for us to get three or four days away and come back and with that fresh start because certainly it didn’t start out the way we wanted. But guys haven’t quit and we honestly still think we do have a chance in the division, believe it or not.”

(On if he thinks the coaching change is the change they needed)

“I’m smarter than that one. No one likes change, you know what I mean, from coaching or players, I’ve been cut, all the coaches have probably been fired at one point or another, it’s not pleasant for families, for them, so it’s not a thing where anything was happy. But that’s the way this business is and I think that’s why the NFL is so great is because there’s such fine line and if you don’t win you’re gone and that’s why the parity is so close, but it wasn’t a happy day by any stretch of the imagination.”

(On how he would describe his relationship with former Rams Head Coach Scott Linehan)

“It was just a lot of situations. When you’re not winning there’s going to be strains on any relationship, but I think we spent a lot of time this off season together and just trying to find ways to win…I think he handled himself professionally and I hope I did the same and I think we left on good terms.”

(On if he didn’t talk to the media last week because he didn’t have anything good to say)

“Yeah, like I said, I didn’t want to distract the team. I was like I said, upset, disappointed, I didn’t think it was the right decision, but that doesn’t matter. It’s the decision the head coach made and I had to live with it. I mean there’s no point in me telling you guys how disappointed I was because we had to get (QB) Trent (Green) ready. He hadn’t played in a year and had three days to get ready and that would have been unfair to him. Whether it would have distracted him or not, probably not because Trent’s been through it, but I didn’t want that to be the case at all.”

(On if he was bombarded by phone calls and texts when the quarterback change was made)

“Certainly you have friends and family and everyone that wanted to know. I found out before everyone still, so from a family stand point you let them know and work through it, but with friends that’s everyday, every week. Whether how bad you played or how bad everyone else is playing that’s just something that I think every NFL player deals with.”

(On what he thinks about RB Steven Jackson criticizing the quarterback change and his radio show last week)

“Steven’s just an outspoken guy, he’s going to say how he feels. He’s a good friend and I think just like anyone else, you guys have good friends; you’re going to stand up for people. I don’t think he meant anything by it. Like he said, I don’t think it was anything to (QB) Trent (Green) or anything or coach (Scott) Linehan it was just an emotion that he said and I’m glad he stood up for me, but at the same time I’m sure he didn’t want all the attention that came from it.”

(On if there was anything that was different about this practice)

“Today was obviously quicker, it was a shorter practice. I don’t want to be too obvious towards you and so it was just a shorter practice, usually we’re in at least shoulder pads, so it’s definitely more physical on a Wednesday or Thursday, just more, it’s usually longer and usually we don’t work versus each other. Usually we’d work against our twos who would act as the scout team and our two offense would work against our No. 1 defense, so it’s a little more competitive probably today because it’s ones versus ones. So it may not seem as crisp offensively, but it’s because you’re not getting the coaches telling the safety to move over in the right spot, it was more competitive.”

(On if TE Joe Klopfenstein is ready and if he thinks Joe is ready to step up)

“Sure. I think Randy will be back. I was with him last night. He thinks four weeks and I think he’s stretching it a little bit but I have a feeling he’ll be back, the competitor he is. Joe, it’s his time. He’s been playing well. He’s been practicing hard. I know he was sick last week, but he doesn’t have an option, we need him. (TE) Anthony (Becht) is going to do a great job for us too, so we’ll have two of them. Right now, Joe doesn’t have a choice, he’s going to be our guy. We can’t scale down our offense and take our tight end out of it. It’s what we worked on all spring and all camp. I think it’s a great opportunity for him.”

(On his relationship with QB Trent Green after trading places on the depth chart twice)

“It’s the same. Trent is a great guy and I’ve learned a lot from him. That’s why last week was kind of tough for me to help him. I told him during the game if you have a question to ask me, I don’t want to be the guy that has all of the answers or gives too much information, so I would rather relay it through the coaches during the game. If he had a question, which he did, he could ask me and I would tell him, but you can see everything from the sideline or on film so I’m glad he understands that I understood that there’s a fine line between helping and being a know-it-all. We have a good relationship.”

(On if the team plans to do more of what they did in the first half)

“That was our plan. We finally got Donnie (Avery) healthy and we know how explosive he is. It was just (offensive coordinator) Al’s (Saunders) way to get creative and get ways to get him the ball. We almost had one the first play of the game and his touchdown, he looked like a D1 (Division 1) kid versus a D3 (Division 3) guy. He’s explosive, so we’ll keep doing that. We’ll keep doing reverses. We had Trent (Green) roll out, had him do a naked (bootleg) just moving the pocket. I think Al can be a lot more aggressive now. A major point is to protect the quarterback early in the year, but it limits other things. When you’re 0-4, I think your options, we have to lay it on the table now. It’s not about protecting one guy… you have to throw it out the window and go for it.”

(On if a healthy Donnie Avery was the biggest difference in the change in attack)

“I think his health and he finally got going. He’s learning every week. He’s learning so much. Those young guys, it’s weird because you get to a point in your career, when okay, this is what you know and you are kind of there. With young guys, there is so much to learn every week. You don’t want to overload them, though. We’re giving them little bits and little bits and putting some special plays in for them so we don’t overload them. If we just throw them in there, run our normal offense, he’s going to be everywhere.”

(On if he has a larger arsenal now than earlier in the season)

“I think Donnie (Avery) definitely adds something. We’ll get Keenan (Burton) back and Torry (Holt) can do so many things too, which we’ll keep going. Losing Dane (Looker), hopefully he’s back and we’ll get Drew (Bennett) back. I think every week getting guys will help. Donnie is a special player and we have to find a way get him the ball. Steven (Jackson) is running strong now too so we have to find ways to get him the ball. Hopefully we run into a good problem here the next couple of weeks.”

(On what he hopes to get out of the rest of the season)

“I haven’t thought about the final total. I’m honestly thinking about Washington and how we can get out first win. That will be the most important one. If we can get that, especially against a Washington team that just beat Dallas, they’re the best division in all of sports maybe, if we can somehow go there and get a win, I think that would do wonders for our team. I think it’s a possibility. It’s definitely an uphill climb, but we’ll see. An 0-4 team, we can’t sit here and say we’re confident. I think Coach (Jim) Haslett will have us ready to go.”

(On if sometimes he thinks he should have chosen a different profession)

“It crosses your mind here and there. Your priorities are in line and I have a good family. There are so many worse things you could be doing in so many worse situations in life, you almost laugh at yourself and look in the mirror for taking it so serious. I understand how lucky I am to be in the position I am, the country I’m in, the job I have. If I have to take a little scrutiny over whether I’m starting on a week, I think my priorities would a little out of whack.”

DE Leonard Little

September 30, 2008

(On the new regime under Head Coach Jim Haslett)

“We have been around him for the past few years on defense, so it’s nothing new for us because he is what he is. I guess the offense has to get use to him, get use to his philosophy. We’re basically use to him on defense.”

(On his message to the team)

“It’s a pretty good mix. We’re going to play hard, we’re going to have fun and we’re going to lay everything on the line each week. That’s what he teaches us on defense and hopefully it carries over to the whole team and we get some wins.”

(On how hard it will be to establish relationships with players and mend the problems in the locker room)

“With him, he had a relationship with everybody anyway so it won’t be that hard, because he’s been around for the past two or three years. He has a relationship with most all of the players. It’s not even really hard for him not to have a relationship with a player on this team. It won’t be that hard for him.”

(On the difference between how Coach Jim Haslett and Coach Scott Linehan run practice)

“There is no difference. We know as a team that we have to come out and have energy and play fast. We took it upon ourselves to run to the ball on defense and finish on offense and that’s our philosophy right now and it’s going to stay that way.”

(On if Coach Haslett is more fiery than Coach Linehan)

“I don’t like comparing the two. If you guys want to ask me about Coach (Scott) Linehan and (Coach Jim) Haslett and the difference, I’m not going to answer that because everyone has their own coaching style and everyone has their own thing to say. It’s not for me to judge either one of those guys.”

(On what he knows about new defensive coordinator Rick Venturi)

“He’s a coordinator. He does have a say in our game-plan and what we do on defense. On defense, it’s really that same for us because (Coach) Rick (Venturi) and ‘Has’ (Head Coach Jim Haslett) worked together as two to help us with a defensive plan and help us get prepared on defense. It’s basically the same with defense. (Coach) Rick (Venturi) is running the show, he’s making all of the calls now, but it’s basically the same thing that Coach (Jim) Haslett did. It’s the same thing.”

TE Joe Klopfenstein

September 30, 2008

(On if he is ready to have a bigger role in the offense)
    “You always know, in the game of football, that (injuries) could happen so you have to be ready for that to happen. I am ready to step it up and take that role.”

(On if he felt like the ‘forgotten man’)

“Since my rookie year, they brought in a great tight end in (TE) Randy (McMichael) so I was in the shadow a little bit. But I always have been ready, waiting to do whatever they asked me to do.”

(On if he has something to prove)

“I always feel like there is something to prove whenever you get that opportunity.”

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Re: Haslett and Others Comments

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Head Coach Jim Haslett

(On if there will be more changes in the starting line up)

“I see most of them staying pat. I see us trying to do things a little bit better in all areas. I think we have some pretty good backups, I don’t want to say backups, guys that can play. I thought what we did on defense with (DT) La’Roi (Glover) being with the second group and that really keep him fresh and he did a nice job pass rushing so things like that. We will try to utilize our players the best we can, I talked to the offensive guys about getting our playmakers the ball like (WR) Torry (Holt) and (WR) Donnie (Avery) and (RB) Steven (Jackson), those three in particular. I would like to see Torry touch the ball a little bit more, especially early in the game.”

I know some of you aren't hot on Haslett being Head Coach, but he might just be our savior. He just came out and said he wants to get rookies involved. He wants to keep Glover with the second group. Hear that Scott? That's all you needed to do, and you might have been able to keep your job

eldfan is offline Registered User

"(On how he will mend things with QB Marc Bulger after his benching)

“I don’t think there’s any fences to be mended; they need to play better. There’s a reason why you get benched and there’s a reason why you’re out there playing. I think that the players know that they have to be accountable also. Obviously, Scott (Linehan) was held accountable and now I think it’s the players’ turn to step up and be accountable. Marc understands that and he understands that I have full confidence in that he’s going to go out there and do his job and I think he understands what I expect from him.”

I hope the players will step up. I am tired of seeing subpar qb from Bulger last year it was the injuries to the OL for God sake just play better football. It's not all the OL fault.
    :ramlogo:

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Head

DE Leonard Little

September 30, 2008

(On what he knows about new defensive coordinator Rick Venturi)

“He’s a coordinator. He does have a say in our game-plan and what we do on defense. On defense, it’s really that same for us because (Coach) Rick (Venturi) and ‘Has’ (Head Coach Jim Haslett) worked together as two to help us with a defensive plan and help us get prepared on defense. It’s basically the same with defense. (Coach) Rick (Venturi) is running the show, he’s making all of the calls now, but it’s basically the same thing that Coach (Jim) Haslett did. It’s the same thing.”
    Wow, this ought to make Moloch feel good.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I am really having a good feeling about everything right now. Bulger getting back, Haslett's urge to play the rooks, and Haslett's strong attitude.

I hope to see some emotion out there against the Redskins. They are going to be a tough team to go against. Get SJax running hard, receivers open, and the defense hitting Jason Campbell and stopping Portis. I'm sure things will look positive during our next game.