RamWraith is offline Registered User

Haslett picks up the pace without going overboard

By Jeff Gordon
    STLTODAY.COM SPORTS COLUMNIST
    10/08/2008

So what does Rams defensive lineman Clifton Ryan think of the Rams' coaching change -- Jim Haslett taking over for Scott Linehan?

Ryan beamed. “Coach Haslett, basically he’s got his foot up my (backside) all the time,” he said after Wednesday’s practice.

This is a good thing. He knows Haslett is trying to make him a better player. He knows the coach expects more from him. Ryan appreciates this belief in his potential.

Now Haslett, the team’s former defensive coordinator, is sharing that passion on a broader scale as the interim head coach.

“No disrespect to Coach Linehan,” Ryan said, “but it’s great playing for a guy who has played in the league.”

There certainly has been an atmosphere change out at Rams Park -– and it extends well past superficial things like marking off parking spots closer to the building for the coaches, tidying up the lobby and co-opting the support staff.

(These folks can speak to the coaches, eat with the coaches and watch practice. In return, Haslett expects them to stay on board with a positive attitude about the team. Disloyalty will not be tolerated. When Haslett coached the Saints, negativity cost some employees their jobs.)

The Rams are working harder than they did for Linehan. Haslett had made sure of it by ordering extra wind sprints to improve their conditioning level.

Have the players complained about that?

The question amused Haslett during his Wednesday afternoon news conference. “Players complaining about running? Come on,” he said. “That’s what they do.

“We ran them pretty hard last week,” he added. “ We’ve got to be smart about it. We can’t do it every day.”

The interim coach is picking up the pace without going overboard. He is way more forceful than the hapless Linehan, but he is trying to remain upbeat with a team that has lost 17 of 20 games.

A punitive approach won’t work. Opponents, media types and fans have kicked the Rams around with great vigor. The players are laughingstocks in their own community.

At this point, a shrill coaching approach would just pile on more abuse. Yeah, the Rams stink. They get that. The networks send their “D teams” to telecast they games and the pundits mock them.

Haslett must be a tough guy, true. He must instill more discipline in this sloppy and dispirited group. This organization has let too much slide over the years.

But like Dick Vermeil in the good old days, he must do some cheerleading as well. He must convince the team to play harder and smarter. He must coax more resilience from a group that typically buckles when the playing field tilts against them.

Haslett’s first challenge: Inspiring the Rams to play four strong quarters on the road against the impressive Redskins. Washington figures to lean on the Rams from start to finish, playing hard-nosed NFC East football.

They will try to do to the Rams what the Giants did to the Seahawks last Sunday. That game got real ugly real fast.

“It’s a great challenge for us,” Haslett said. “I know we will be big-time underdogs as far as the numbers go.

“But we’ve got nothing to lose. Just go out there, play hard and have some fun.”

That will be easier said than done -– but this was a message the team had to hear. Haslett is providing real leadership to a team that has been adrift for far too long.

If will be fun to see what, if anything, the Rams do under that leadership.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Re: Haslett picks up the pace without going overboard

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    By Jeff Gordon
    STLTODAY.COM SPORTS COLUMNIST
    10/08/2008

A punitive approach won’t work. Opponents, media types and fans have kicked the Rams around with great vigor. The players are laughingstocks in their own community.

At this point, a shrill coaching approach would just pile on more abuse. Yeah, the Rams stink. They get that. The networks send their “D teams” to telecast they games and the pundits mock them.

Haslett must be a tough guy, true. He must instill more discipline in this sloppy and dispirited group. This organization has let too much slide over the years.

I think Haslett is taking the right approach. I hope these guy respond to this. One of the hardest thing for a coach is to turn aroud a team from a losing mentality. These guys have to have some pride and believe in themself and the coach to have a chance. Maybe because Haslett had been a formal player the team will respond with new energy.
    :ramlogo:

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Wraith, I sure hope that, "
    If will be fun to see what, if anything, the Rams do under that leadership.
    "

I am tired of it NOT being fun hearing of our team's current ineptitude. (since the games are not aired and I don't have Directtv, thus no NFL Ticket)
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
    (since the games are not aired and I don't have Directtv, thus no NFL Ticket)
    Well I do and trust me you haven't missed a thing. I haven't seen 4 more horrible games in my entire life. It's gotten so bad (how bad you ask) that even my wife-who is a Buffalo Bills fan, btw- was feeling sorry for the Bills pummeling my Rams and even asked if I had heard if Linny's wife was crying after the loss to the Bills. Of course I tried to tell her no more than I was, but somehow I don't get the sympathy that the wife of the opposing teams coach gets.

Women!! Go figure.

WHAT SAY YE?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

“No disrespect to Coach Linehan,” Ryan said, “but it’s great playing for a guy who has played in the league.”
    Folks, when someone has to start a sentence with "No disrespect to.....", you know what's coming. I'd be willing to bet that Ryan's politically correct statement is a good indicator of the lockerroom's current attitude which can be nothing but good at this point.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Folks, when someone has to start a sentence with "No disrespect to.....", you know what's coming. I'd be willing to bet that Ryan's politically correct statement is a good indicator of the lockerroom's current attitude which can be nothing but good at this point.
    Yes I was thinking the same thing that tells me that they want buying what Linehan was selling.
    :ramlogo: