throwback week

View Poll Results: Which is more to blame for our defensive woes?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Haslett is the problem.

3 9.68%
  • The players are the problem.

28 90.32%
    bigredman Guest

Haslett or players? Who's to blame?

During the chat for the Seattle game, many of us discussed the deterioration of the Ram's defense as we head into the second half of the season. Now its common football knowledge that defenses always are ahead of the offenses when the season begins, and as the season goes on, the offenses start to come into their own, exposing the poorer defenses in the league.

Many were stoked on getting Haslett as our defensive coordinator, and pointed to him as the difference maker, while at the same time, many pointed to the free agent and draft pick ups concentrating on defense as a turning point for the Rams this year.

What say you? Are our defensive woes due to Haslett's inability to properly scheme against a given offense or adjust at half time, or is it the players we have just can't get the job done this year and we need to continue to rebuild?
    Last edited by bigredman; -11-14-2006 at 09:53 PM.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Haslett or players? Who's to blame?

In my opinion it's the players or lack thereof. No pass rush, weak secondary, 2 of our 3 linebackers are good. The lack of pass rush has forced Haslett to take chances. The big plays that are ripped off against our defense are usually the result of a missed tackle or missed assignment.

The real killer is that there's not a consistent pass rush and the same front four is weak vs. the run.:x

mh-i is offline Registered User

The D is still a work in progress. We need some push from the D line. I suppose what I'm saying there is to acquire some bulk. Our guys get man-handled against the run and aren't consistantly getting a strong pass rush on their own. I can't figure out what happened to Glover, 6 straight Pro Bowls but he won't be going this year, and I'm not sold on Kennedy. I like the idea Haslett mentioned about getting a MLB and moving Witherspoon back to the outside. Isn't London Fletcher a free agent at the end of the year? Chillar is a back-up caliber player. We need a shutdown corner. Someone who's side quarterbacks don't want to throw at and when they do throw he makes them pay. Fakir Brown is OK but not the answer. Hill shows promise but Fisher is horrible and I never liked Butler. I'm not sure what to make of Chavous so far because of the lack of play in front of and around him. As far as the starting unit goes for me the only keepers are Little, Witherspoon, Tinoisamoa and Chavous. Maybe Hill and Adeyanju make strides to make the Rams list of defensive needs shorter. Let's hope so. Uh.............the players.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Man, you can make a case for either simply because that's how it works. The players just don't seem to be giving it their all in terms of concentration and execution, and I don't think Haslett is helping them by maximizing our potential success based on the talent we have and the talent we're facing.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

nuclearman is offline Registered User

From the outside looking in I think Haslett is low on confidence and maybe this is affecting his performance gameday... I am a Haslett fan.

The players are the problem... no depth and little class...has improved from last year and the year before but IMO great players make great coaches and not the other way round.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

I voted players as the problem.

A good argument could be made either way.

Are the players not up to the task, are they undersized or unenthused?

Can the coach not figure out how to best utilize his players talents? Can he not motivate his players?

RnD

GO RAMS!!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Probably a combination of the two. Injuries and an undersized unit only add to our woes. Like Linehan, Haslett deserves a chance to develop and build things up before he can be labeled a failure.

THEFIELDGOAL Guest

It's clear that Haslett lacks some essential tools to scheme better. But right now we are the Saints he coached. We are lacking a true past rush and tackling needs to improve. Young and Old still need time to mix and jell. But up to Sunday they have played as best as possible. The real concern now is more so the offensive unit with it's lack of scoring in the red zone. Wilkins is good but it's not the answer when we have Holt,Bruce,McDonald, Curtis & Jackson as vital weapons.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I blame Haslett.

The players are who they are. They have certain skills and certain deficiencies. There is only so much they can do to change.

Its Haslett job to adjust. He hasn't done it.

We may need some new players on D, but whoever is out there, the coach needs to maximize their talents. I don't think that is happening.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I think it's a little of both. The players are not making plays or are out of position, (old news). Haslerr, IMO, hasn't made the necessary adjustments to the line up to insure they have the right players in there.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Truth is offline Registered User

I think we lack the right personnel on the line (ALL good defenses start with a great front 4). We could also use a bit of an upgrade in the secondary. However, the way I see it, the thing we lack most is a spark. There's very little intensity. Think back to the Superbowl win. We didn't have the top guys in each position. But there was an intensity that was unmatched. They played as a team. They were hungry for wins. They played hard every down. I don't see the same thing anymore. I see a defense that expects the other team to score. I don't like it. I DON"T LIKE IT , I say. Some would poo-poo the idea of chemistry making that much of a difference. I say it makes all the difference in the world.

Yes, get the personnel we need. Just make sure they're emotional leaders as well.

P.S.- OK BRM, it's time for your opinion.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

sprtsmac Guest

Avenger makes a good point that Haslett hasn't adjusted and that he needs to adjust to the talent level, or lack there of, to his players Yet I blame the players. If the players know their assignments and are constantly out of position then I believe that it is their fault for making the mistake. If the players are missing tackles then it is their fault for missing the tackles. If a coach is putting the players in position to make plays and the plays are not getting made, then its the players fault. Of course the same can be said about the coach, if he isn't putting his players in position to make plays; then its his fault. It basically sounds like I am picking both as the blame, which it can be but I am going to stick with the players being the blame......for now.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Its Haslett job to adjust. He hasn't done it.
    Agreed, Avenger...

That was my repeated comment of Martz. A great coach, but unable to adjust to what the opponent's defense was giving you and tried to force his game plan down yor throat. Even when it wasn't working.

Some would poo-poo the idea of chemistry making that much of a difference. I say it makes all the difference in the world.
    Hey Truth...

I also agree chemistry has a lot to do with winning. The players need to like and respect each other enough to want to win for each other. Look at Moss and TO... all the talent in the world but not TEAM players.

RnD

GO RAMS!!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

you cant look at the play of guys like Witherspoon, Tinoisamoa, Little and to a degree Fakhir Brown and say they havent played well, but the rest of the team is lacking. The rest of the DL apart from Little needs help, not necessarily the players need replacing but maybe some decent coaching or a different system. They dont seem to be able to plug the run well, and the pass rush is only coming from Little.

steve8714 Guest

Games I have watched, including SF and San Diego, showed interior linemen obsessed with rushing the passer. They paid little or no attention to the running back. this may be the design of Haslett's defense, but if it is, it opens up the defense to the draw play and makes everyone look repeatedly stupid.