RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Haslett puts the blame on Rams players

Says loss not due to coaching
    BY STEVE KORTE - News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS -- There was a breakdown on every offensive play in the St. Louis Rams' 47-3 loss to the New York Jets, coach Jim Haslett said Monday.

"Every single one there was something, either the quarterback, a running back, the line, the tight ends, the wideouts," Haslett said. "Every play there was something bad."

Combine the breakdowns with five turnovers -- three fumbles and two interceptions -- and you get a loss of historic proportions.

If not for three kneel-downs by Jets backup quarterback Kellen Clemens inside the Rams' 10-yard line at the end of the game, it would have been the team's worst loss in franchise history.

It still ended up as the team's third-worst loss behind a 48-0 loss to the San Francisco ***** on Dec. 27. 1987, and a 47-0 to the Chicago Bears on Nov. 29, 1942.

After the game, Haslett said the loss was either a matter of the Rams not having the talent or not having the will to compete.

"What I said was that they either didn't want to do it, or they're just not good enough to do it," Haslett said.

After reviewing the game film, Haslett said it was "maybe a little bit of both."

So how do the Rams fix those problems?

"That's the million dollar question," Haslett said. "We have to make sure we don't go out and make the same mistakes in the next seven weeks. It was an interesting meeting today, to say the least."

Asked what he said during his team address on Monday, Haslett indicated that his speech wasn't suitable for the general public.

"You can't really say because the cameras are here," Haslett said.

Haslett pinned the lopsided loss on the players, not the coaching staff.

"This is not on coaching," Haslett said. "This had nothing to do with coaching. This had nothing to do with schemes, nothing to do with X's and O's. On the defensive side, there were plays that I saw us run 15 times in practice last week that we didn't execute in the game. And, the same guys are in the same defense for the last three years. I didn't want to hear that they don't know what they're doing because we've run the same stuff for a long time."

Haslett also didn't want to hear about the Rams having a fragile psyche, though he agrees with the basic premise.

"When you're on a team that has lost as many games as we've lost over the last couple of years, that has something to do with it," Haslett said to start what turned into a more than two-minute rant. "When things aren't going good, things fall apart fast. Sometimes it has to be perfect."

Haslett rejected the fragile psyche theory when applied to Sunday's first half when the Jets piled up 40 points.

The first half was the second worst half in Rams history. The Rams were outscored 42-0 by the Baltimore Colts in a 56-21 loss on Nov. 25, 1956.

"You can overcome adversity if it's one, maybe two turnovers," Haslett said. "But, if you're going to turn the ball over five times, you're not going to overcome that. There is nobody in this league that is that good. Nobody is good enough in the NFL to have five turnovers and think you're going to come back and beat a team or think you are even going to be in the game."

Haslett then ran through the turnovers.

"We had a rookie running back (Kenneth Darby) that we just brought up put the ball on the ground twice. We had a rookie wide receiver (Derek Stanley) put the ball on the ground once. You have a veteran quarterback (Marc Bulger) throw an interception and another one (Trent Green) throw an interception.

"To sit here and say that you are fragile and all that, I think it's nonsense. You had five turnovers, and you add that to not playing good on defense -- not lining up right and doing the things you have to do like tackle -- with the mistakes you made on offense, and it comes out to be bad football. Call it whatever you want to call it. To me, it's just bad football."

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Haslett puts the blame on Rams players

He should blame them. Maybe now they might wake up.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

It's time to drop the hammer, kick some butt. It's actually way way overdue!!!

Enough of the buddy system.

I want to see some blood!!!!

BEER is offline Registered User

Haslett sucks and here is why.!!!!!!!!!!

Jim Haslett

Regular Season: 47-54
    Postseason: 1-1
    Experience: 6
    Career record: 48-55

Hired as the 23rd head coach in franchise history by on Sept. 29, 2008. Was elevated to interim |

Get rid of him at the end of the season would be the logical thing to do, but
    we, being the Rams cant Draft, pick up free agents, or Re sign reliable
    players using any kind of common sense, so we just might keep him.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

This is a good sign. I hope the players wake up.

BEER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    Says loss not due to coaching
    BY STEVE KORTE - News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS -- There was a breakdown on every offensive play in the St. Louis Rams' 47-3 loss to the New York Jets, coach Jim Haslett said Monday.

"Every single one there was something, either the quarterback, a running back, the line, the tight ends, the wideouts," Haslett said. "Every play there was something bad."

Combine the breakdowns with five turnovers -- three fumbles and two interceptions -- and you get a loss of historic proportions.

If not for three kneel-downs by Jets backup quarterback Kellen Clemens inside the Rams' 10-yard line at the end of the game, it would have been the team's worst loss in franchise history.

It still ended up as the team's third-worst loss behind a 48-0 loss to the San Francisco ***** on Dec. 27. 1987, and a 47-0 to the Chicago Bears on Nov. 29, 1942.

After the game, Haslett said the loss was either a matter of the Rams not having the talent or not having the will to compete.

"What I said was that they either didn't want to do it, or they're just not good enough to do it," Haslett said.

After reviewing the game film, Haslett said it was "maybe a little bit of both."

So how do the Rams fix those problems?

"That's the million dollar question," Haslett said. "We have to make sure we don't go out and make the same mistakes in the next seven weeks. It was an interesting meeting today, to say the least."

Asked what he said during his team address on Monday, Haslett indicated that his speech wasn't suitable for the general public.

"You can't really say because the cameras are here," Haslett said.

Haslett pinned the lopsided loss on the players, not the coaching staff.

"This is not on coaching," Haslett said. "This had nothing to do with coaching. This had nothing to do with schemes, nothing to do with X's and O's. On the defensive side, there were plays that I saw us run 15 times in practice last week that we didn't execute in the game. And, the same guys are in the same defense for the last three years. I didn't want to hear that they don't know what they're doing because we've run the same stuff for a long time."

Haslett also didn't want to hear about the Rams having a fragile psyche, though he agrees with the basic premise.

"When you're on a team that has lost as many games as we've lost over the last couple of years, that has something to do with it," Haslett said to start what turned into a more than two-minute rant. "When things aren't going good, things fall apart fast. Sometimes it has to be perfect."

Haslett rejected the fragile psyche theory when applied to Sunday's first half when the Jets piled up 40 points.

The first half was the second worst half in Rams history. The Rams were outscored 42-0 by the Baltimore Colts in a 56-21 loss on Nov. 25, 1956.

"You can overcome adversity if it's one, maybe two turnovers," Haslett said. "But, if you're going to turn the ball over five times, you're not going to overcome that. There is nobody in this league that is that good. Nobody is good enough in the NFL to have five turnovers and think you're going to come back and beat a team or think you are even going to be in the game."

Haslett then ran through the turnovers.

"We had a rookie running back (Kenneth Darby) that we just brought up put the ball on the ground twice. We had a rookie wide receiver (Derek Stanley) put the ball on the ground once. You have a veteran quarterback (Marc Bulger) throw an interception and another one (Trent Green) throw an interception.

"To sit here and say that you are fragile and all that, I think it's nonsense. You had five turnovers, and you add that to not playing good on defense -- not lining up right and doing the things you have to do like tackle -- with the mistakes you made on offense, and it comes out to be bad football. Call it whatever you want to call it. To me, it's just bad football."

So he is saying that Linny should still be head coach? Does he even hear
    what he's saying?

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

How anyone can come to the conclusion that Haslett is saying that Linehan should still be the head coach is beyond me.

I'll say this though; its about the players, its always been about the players and the sad fact is that we don't have enough players with the talent or the temperament to win consistently.

To continue to try and pin this on a single individual on the coaching or playing side is to miss the point entirely.

The entire organisation has to bear the responsibility for what we're seeing.

Milan is offline Registered User

No coach gameplans for 5 turnovers in a game. No coach gameplans for an offensive line to not block. How is this on coaching? Our players are just playing awful.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I think a good coach can make an average team competitive. A good coach can make a good team very good. But NO COACH can take a team full of soft, underachieving dogs and make them consistent winners- and make no mistake, that's what we have here on our ball club. While Haslett must take ultimate responsibility (and he will, by losing his interim job at season's end), he is absolutely right in calling out this team. He certainly isn't going to go down without a fight, which is why he's appealing to each player's personal pride.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LARAM0 View Post
    It's time to drop the hammer, kick some butt. It's actually way way overdue!!!

Enough of the buddy system.

I want to see some blood!!!!

Yes, this approach is nothing new but it does help sometimes. Go for it Coach!

Right now ... whatever works! Seriously, I believe that our Rams players respect their HC and will for the rest of the season. Let's get that blue blood flowing then L.A.!

Red blood from the opponents.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Too many mistakes, bad play calling, no heart and soul, lack of leadership, poor tackling, no blocking or running game, missed assignments? Now that's what i call team work!!! That jets game was a total meltdown by everyone. We came out in the second half and produced one field goal!!! Lack of adjustment is a knock on the coaches. So yeah!!! the coaching staff should get a whipping also!!!