RamWraith is offline Registered User

Was Haslett the right man?

I know I am probably going to get staked for this, but....

Hiring Haslett was a huge mistake. After what started off as pure excitement for me has turned grotesque and ugly. Sitting back now I wonder what were we thinking. Haslett was brought into New Orleans because he was suppose to be a great defensive mind. Truth be told his career prior to that with Pittsburgh was shaky. Haslett's defense in New Orleans was below average and continued their struggles with their defense, giving up well over 24 points per game for most of his tenure in New Orleans, and Haslett found himself out of a job. What made him so special to come here? The same thing could all be said about Marmie illustrate career in the NFL. Both have much of the same history. And low and behold, this years numbers are a mirror image of that of Marmie's Marmalade defense.

Please tell me I am getting caught up in the moment and there is hope under Haslett's leadership. Tell me numbers lie and the ship will set sail again one day. Tell me we are not in for the same ol' Rams under this regime.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Was Haslett the right man?

Only time will tell. The Rams added alot of new players to the D hoping that we would see positive results sooner than later. We did see positives early on but lately we've been shredded like a head of lettuce!

Haslett better get his act together........:x

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I thought that Haslett was an excellent hire when we got him, and I still do. We got a guy who had moved up through the ranks and had enough success as a defensive coordinator to get a shot as a head coach. And you may have forgotten, but he was named NFL Coach of the Year when he took the Saints to their first playoff win in team history. So he didn't work out as a HC after that; we're still getting a guy with better credentials than most of our other alternatives. Heck, Lovie was a defensive assistant coaching linebackers before we gave him his shot as a DC. We weren't going to be able to just take away a top team's defensive coordinator.Would you prefer we took a chance on some other team's assistant coach instead of picking up a guy with this much experience coaching in the NFL and something to prove? Exactly who were we supposed to sign instead?

Seems to me even bright defensive minds can only do so much when the players aren't performing. Look at some of the better defenses from last year: Washington's Gregg Williams usually has good defenses, but his defense is near the bottom of the league in every category this year. Tampa Bay is just a couple positions above us even though they allowed the least yardage of anybody last year. Carolina's only allowing 13.7 yards less per game. And if we went for anybody who was going to try to implement a 3-4, we'd have horrible problems with the personnel not fitting the scheme this year. The way I figure it, he had as good a chance as anyone to turn this unit around.

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Hass must be allowed more time to succeed or fail. He came in to a weak D and had little time to incorporate changes. Wasn't L. Smith's first season at Chicago weak? Let's be patient and endure some pain, again. If we managed to finish 7-9, won't that be an improvement? Detroit has played rotating coaches for the last several years and its been a mess. No time for character to be established.

Didn't the O's turnovers contribute to the losses? Shouldn't that be on coach L?

If Hass can't show significant improvement by the end of next season, then he should be re-evaluated.

methodical_reaction is offline Registered User

The Jim Haslett Era

I was extremely excited the he joined the team this off-season and I am happy that he has made changes on defense. Though there will be some growing pains in this process I believe with a good 2007 draft we will be back on top in no time.

Does anyone think that Jim Haslett will leave for a head coaching job in the near future? Possibly in Oakland or in Houston? I would like for him to stay at least three years to get us up and rolling, Personally I wish they had fired Martz a long time ago and promoted Lovie Smith but live and let live.

Rambos is online now Registered User

All I can tell you is what I see during the game and what I read. Here is what I saw last week.

The players have to make plays when they are put in the position to make them.

LB dropped a sure INT that cost 60 yards; you have to make the play.

DB whiffs on an easy sack, cost a touch down.

Here is what I read last week.

"Will (Witherspoon) tried to reset the front," Haslett said, referring to the Rams' middle linebacker.

The secondary and the linebackers switched to the altered alignment. But for whatever reason, the front four didn't.

New scheme mew players itís a work in progress, we still need more talent.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Buddy Ryan himself couldnt make this defense competitive. Its a talent issue. I think haslett is fine.

I have been on haslett not so much in an absolute sense, but rather to make the point that marmie was unfairly maligned last year.

Coaching helps at the margain, talent is the key. We have more talent than we did last year, but we still dont have enough talent to be a good defense. I dont care who the coach is.

This is the bobby april argument all over again. Fire him yelled almost everyone in rams nation, the special teams suck! The next year, april is coach of the year in buffalo. Is that because he was a great coach for buffalo and a lousy coach for the rams or do you think its because he had better players?\

Common sense tells you that unless haslett is going to get on the field and tackle someone, catch the INT that hits coakley in the hands, fall on the fumble that two defensive linemen missed or sack the qb when he has an uncontested shot at him, there is only a limited amount he can do.

For the millionth time, scheme is overated, the players have to make the plays.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by coy bacon View Post
    Hass must be allowed more time to succeed or fail. He came in to a weak D and had little time to incorporate changes. Wasn't L. Smith's first season at Chicago weak? Let's be patient and endure some pain, again. If we managed to finish 7-9, won't that be an improvement? Detroit has played rotating coaches for the last several years and its been a mess. No time for character to be established.

Didn't the O's turnovers contribute to the losses? Shouldn't that be on coach L?

If Hass can't show significant improvement by the end of next season, then he should be re-evaluated.
    I think it's just the frustration talking, there are a alot of things wrong with the defense but I'm glad Haslett made the changes he did, I believe he was trying to utilize the speed we have on that side of the ball. I also believe that we should have fired Martz sooner and promoted Lovie Smith but if I ran the front office I wouldn't be writing on this web site.

I just hope that Hasslett sticks around long enough to make these changes work and I agree that we need more talent and that should come with a productive 07 draft.
    Last edited by methodical_reaction; -11-08-2006 at 02:35 PM. Reason: poor grammer

Methodical, would you have fired martz and promoted lovie smith after we had a 12-4 season, won the division and went to the playoffs? If so, martz would have been the first coach in the history of the nfl getting fired coming off that type of year.

In addition, lovies defense was murdered in the carolina playoff game right before he left.

I dont see how you can contend that it made sense to fire martz at that point and hire lovie.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Your probably right, but looking back on when martz was finally fired why didn't we maybe go after Monte Kiffen for the head coaching position? What made Linehan the right choice? If we are going to bash first year coaches then lets do it right; maybe even Mariuchi could have turned around this franchise.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: The Jim Haslett Era

Well, that's what his contact is at the moment, as long as he sticks to that, I honestly think the D will be a lot more improved.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

i believe that kiflin, jimmy johnson of the eagles, and greg williams of the redskins, three highly sought after choices, all opted to remain in their current roles. Kiflin decided he didnt want to interview and didnt want to be a head coach.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Was Hasslet the right man? I don't see how that can be determined after only 8 games. Doing anything substantial with the mess Marmie left would have been a miracle. We've already had a change on the defensive line, a huge loss at linebacker and a makeshift secondary, making any continuity impossible. Let's not throw Haslett under the bus just yet.

maineram is offline Registered User

excuse me.....

Kennedy - adaquate
    Wrotten - rookie
    Little - pro bowler but needs a little help from the line
    Adeyanju - rookie

Chillar - adaquate
    Will - pro bowler
    Pisa - nough said

Fisher - almost adaquate
    Hill - rookie
    Brown - ligit starter
    Ontogwe - jury is out
    Chavious - journeyman

There is our starting defense this year. How many ligit playmakers do we have ?????

Witherspoon
    Pisa
    Little

Takes more than three to make a top 10 defense

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Was Hasslet the right man? I don't see how that can be determined after only 8 games. Doing anything substantial with the mess Marmie left would have been a miracle. We've already had a change on the defensive line, a huge loss at linebacker and a makeshift secondary, making any continuity impossible. Let's not throw Haslett under the bus just yet.
    Exactly, it's way to early to be asking if Haslett is the right guy. Let's keep things in perspective, he is trying to clean up a big mess on D. He deserves more time before we write him off.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE