RamWraith is offline Registered User

Haslett Says Jackson Should Play This Week

By Howard Balzer
    Monday, October 20, 2008

Rams coach Jim Haslett said Monday that running back Steven Jackson should be able to play Sunday against New England after an MRI indicated he had a slight strain of the quadriceps muscle.

Jackson was injured in the fourth quarter against the Cowboys, one play before Haslett said he was planning to remove Jackson from the game.

“Yeah, I kind of screwed that up," he said. "I wanted to get him out, I wanted to get Marc (Bulger) out, I wanted to get Torry (Holt) out, I wanted to actually get a couple of the guards out and get some of the younger players in. We had a big enough lead that we actually could have got a quarter’s worth of work with those guys. It would have been nice to get some work in, so I kind of screwed that up.”

Haslett said Jackson would be limited in practice this week, but added, “I would say it is good news. It is a little tight, a little stiff but he felt good about it today."

Asked whether Jackson will be able to have his normal amount of touches Sunday, Haslett said, “I would think so based on what I hear but I will see how he feels Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. We will see how it goes. He probably will not do much early in the week and hopefully we will increase the load as the week goes. It will give Antonio some work so that will be good for him.”

That was a reference to running back Antonio Pittman, who has missed the last three games because of a leg injury. Pittman practiced two of three days last week, and is expected to be able to play against the Patriots.

The news wasn't as good regarding backup safety Todd Johnson, who had three special teams tackle against the Cowboys. No one knew Johnson had been hurt during the game, but Sunday evening he experienced pain and blood in his urine. Johnson was hospitalized, where he was diagnosed with a bruised kidney. He is expected to remain in the hospital for a couple days, according to Haslett, and will miss one or two games.

In other injury updates, defensive tackle Adam Carriker's ankle injury is low on the ankle and he will be day-to-day. Currently, Carriker is considered questionable, but he has usually been a quick healer. Wide receiver Derek Stanley was to have tests Monday to make sure there are no residual effects from being hit in the head on a block by Dallas safety Keith Davis. Stanley checked himself out of the hospital Sunday night, said he was fine and was present at a team post-game get-together at quarterback Marc Bulger's residence.

Left tackle Orlando Pace wanted to play Sunday, but Haslett said the decision to sit Pace wasn't even close. "He really wanted to play," Haslett said. "You kind of feel for a guy that has been in the league that long and wants to play the game, but we thought in the best interest of him and for the team in the long run, it was best to get him ready to play the New England game.” Pace did some sled work Monday with the hope he will be OK to practice Wednesday.

Cornerback Tye Hill (knee) is expected to get some work in practice this week and Haslett said, "We'll see how it goes."

NO CHAIR THROWING
    Coach Jim Haslett said he didn't throw a chair amid the pregame things he said to the team before the game against the Rams.

“I didn’t throw a chair," he said. "I didn’t throw anything. You’ll know if I throw something.”

As for what happened, Haslett's take was this: “I’ve been the league long enough, I played in the league and I’ve coached in the league long enough that I kind of get a feel for guys and what they’re thinking and what they’re going through and I’ve been in there on that side of the ball, and all I said to them yesterday was it’s not who we’re playing, it’s still a game. Go out there and have fun, don’t worry about the team you’re playing, don’t read about all the hype and all the bull that you read about this team, ‘America’s Team,’ and all that just go out and play and play hard, good things will happen to us, without all the other stuff mixed in.”

Asked if he thought players were tight, Haslett said, “I thought there were guys sitting around, worrying about it. I never was like that when I played. I just thought that you go out and play the game. It’s still a game and go out and have fun doing it and let it roll and see what happens.”

THE QUOTE
    Haslett on whether he is surprised by what the team has done in the last two games: “I don’t know; I don’t think anything surprises me in this league. I do think the guys have kind of bought into what we’re trying to do and they feel good about themselves and they’re taking ownership in their team and you have to like that. I like what Marc Bulger’s done, I kind of like what the defense has done. They’re doing a lot of things together and I like what I see and it’s going to come to a point in the road down here that we’re not going to win all these games, we’re going to lose a game, so how are you going to handle that adversity. Again, hopefully it doesn’t come up right away, but (if) we keep doing what we’re doing, hopefully we’ll win some more games.”

SIMPLY NOTING
    Patriots running back and St. Louisan Laurence Maroney was placed on injured reserve by the Patriots Monday just prior to their Monday night game against Denver. Maroney has been bothered by a shoulder injury, but has also referred to mysterious issues that have affected him this season.

Prior to the Patriots' Oct. 12 game in San Diego, Maroney said that aside from his shoulder problem, he was dealing with issues and "trying to work through them the best I can; trying to do the best I can with my problems." He said the issue is "definitely a new one."

Mooselini Guest

Re: Haslett Says Jackson Should Play This Week

Good to hear Jax will play. I'm excited to watch him rack up some major yards against the Cheatriots.

GO RAMS