Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Haslett Signs As Rams DC

The search is over!

Tuesday, January 24, 2006
    Haslett signs on as Rams defensive coordinator
    By John Clayton
    ESPN.com

The Rams have hired former Saints head coach Jim Haslett to be their defensive coordinator.

Haslett agreed to a three-year contract Tuesday morning. Haslett met with head coach Scott Linehan in Miami over the weekend and was offered the job. After thinking about it Monday night, Haslett decided to accept it Tuesday morning.

majorram is offline Registered User

Re: Haslett Signs As Rams DC

After all those Quotes about our Rams that Haslett has made over the seasons and now hes on the staff, funny that!!!

I like this signing and thankgod its over and we can move on...
    "The breakfast Club"

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Well at least he has head coaching experience that will help Linehan. I would expect him to be the assistant head coach as well.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

I also like the fact that Haslett has HC experience I'm sure Linehan will lean on that experience.... I'm liking this !!!

steve:clanram:
    "The breakfast Club"

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

By John Clayton
    ESPN.com

The St. Louis Rams have hired former New Orleans Saints head coach Jim Haslett to be their defensive coordinator.

Haslett agreed to a three-year contract Tuesday morning. Haslett met with head coach Scott Linehan in Miami over the weekend and was offered the job. After thinking about it Monday night, Haslett decided to accept it Tuesday morning.

Haslett was the 2000 NFL Coach of the Year in his first season after leading the Saints to the only playoff victory in team history. But he never made it back to the postseason, finishing 45-51 in six seasons for the second-most victories in team history behind Jim Mora's 93. The Saints went 3-13 this season after being displaced by Hurricane Katrina.

New Orleans hasn't had a winning season since 2002, and this year was marred before it even began. Katrina hit New Orleans less than two weeks before the regular season, and the Saints ended up playing four home games in Baton Rouge, La., three in San Antonio and one "home" game against the New York Giants that irked the Saints players because it was played in New Jersey.

Regardless of whether the circumstances contributed, the Saints finished tied with Green Bay as the worst team in the league in turnover margin. The Saints had 24 more turnovers than their opponents.

They also allowed seven returns for touchdowns on turnovers or blocked kicks without getting one of their own.

Haslett broke in as an NFL coach working with linebackers with the Los Angeles Raiders in 1993 before his first stint with the Saints in 1995-96. He was the defensive coordinator his second year with the Saints and for three seasons with Pittsburgh from 1997-99.
    Lets see what happens.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I hope Haslett arrives in St. Louis with his Bentley (LeCharles, that is).

What about DE Darren Howard??? coming over???

steve:clanram:
    "The breakfast Club"

viper is offline Registered User

Haslett Hired as Defensive Coordinator
    Monday, January 23, 2006

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

Not long after Scott Linehan was hired as the new head coach of the Rams, he vowed to get an experienced and talented defensive coordinator. That promise became a reality Tuesday when St. Louis agreed to name former New Orleans Saints head coach Jim Haslett the team’s new defensive coordinator.

Haslett comes to the Rams after completing six seasons as the man in charge of the Saints. But an up and down time in New Orleans came to an end after a tumultuous season in which he was asked to hold the team together under the most difficult of circumstances.

The Rams and their fans remember Haslett well from one of the hottest rivalries in the league only a few years ago. The Rams and Saints had a number of epic games starting in 2000 when Haslett took over the Saints and Mike Martz took over the Rams. Haslett’s Saints were a thorn in the side of those St. Louis teams and always came ready to play.

Haslett has plenty of experience in defense, starting with his time as linebackers coach with the Raiders. He earned his early reputation as a defensive coach working as the coordinator for a dominant Pittsburgh Steelers unit in the late 90s.
    It sounds like he's been successful as a DC in the past. He does seem hard nosed. Maybe he can whip our defense into shape. It just might work. I'm willing to give him a try.

Go Rams!!!
    Last edited by viper; -01-24-2006 at 02:46 PM.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Perhaps he'd like to bring Kyle Turley on as a DE? LOL

RamWraith is offline Registered User

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank god no Cottrell and NO MARMIE!

bruce_wannabe Guest

i would like to bring turley back as a backup on the oline... darren howard coming over with haslett would be sick, howard is a phenomal player with skills to completement little/hargrove.. my question is now who do we go for in the draft... safety or linebacker

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quite the surprise to me. I never liked Haslett but I admit the reasoning was related to his coaching the Saints.

I heard JH this past season on a couple of post-game interviews and he sounded 'human enough' to gain my sympathy. I hope he really has the knack to be an effective DC.

Bottom line: 'Welcome to the Rams, Coach Haslett'.

[Still sounds sort of strange!]

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I am in favor of the Haslett signing. I like his demeanor.
    Hard nosed is the way to go.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Three guys I don't like from New Orleans:

Kyle Turley (I tried to like him as a Ram, but he killed that)

Jim Haslett - I just don't like his attitude and demeanor

Joe Horn - Big Mouth

Well, all we have to do is trade for Horn now....

Oh, wait I don't like tha Mayor Ray Nagin either, what an idiot!

:tongue:

AJD45 is offline Registered User

His experience is definitely a plus. Funny, it's easier than I thought to give up my past hatred of him -- probably because I hated him as a rival, but respect his philosophy. I'm all for Haslett bringing to the Rams the Pittsburgh style 3-4, blitzing defense since it's about as anti-Marmie as it gets! Only problem is the short-term transition may be tough given our lack of LBs and a good strong safety. Little will probably have to switch back to OLB and other shuffling will have to happen. Bates probably would have been an easier transition since his scheme seems more forgiving to less talent, but ultimately there's a reason Pittsburgh is in the Super Bowl, the scheme works. Very exciting pick!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast