Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Welker83 is offline Registered User

Re: Haslett Signs As Rams DC

Quote Originally Posted by majorram
    After all those Quotes about our Rams that Haslett has made over the seasons and now hes on the staff, funny that!!!

I like this signing and thankgod its over and we can move on...
    I love Haz...Evertime he calls out a player on another team( bout twice a week) that used to play for him, they end up with a big game...

Any man that cuffs their future with Aaron brooks over Delhomme, Bulger, and Jeff blake is questionable in my book( At one time all were on the Saints roster and they settled on brooks), i guess thats why he was only hired for the defense...

And it looked like such a good day...

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

He'll definately make us tougher...He also seems to be able to judge some defensive talent with what he had in some of his players in N.O. Not my choice, but I will stand behind and support him...

Attachment 691
    Last edited by SFCRamFan; -02-21-2006 at 09:57 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

Rambos is offline Registered User

Originally Posted by Rambos
    We are not going to become a team that controls the clock on offense, I'm not sure how much of a factor this will be.

If not Bates what about Jim Haslett as our DC?

here was a question I had for AV never really got an answer, what do you think of Haslett.

I always thought he brought a toughness to his team, something we could use. He was my second choice, I'm just gald we got a very good coach and got it done early. Lets keep moving forward GO RAMS!

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Now that's what I'm talkin bout.

I like this signing. Fascinating. A one-time hated enemy, is now working for you. Bad blood on the mend, will it work out in the end?

At least JH has done some dancing and I'm wishing him the best.

Maybe in a couple, he'll be HC?

Tony Banks is offline Registered User

Perhaps he'd like to bring Kyle Turley on as a DE?
    Nice call,heh heh, but I bet he's done. I think I like the Haslett signing. Like some of you I'm getting over my dislike for him too. At this point, anything's better than Marmie. An experienced DC/HC w/ a decent track record. Maybe he'll actually adapt the system to what we have. I hope he can teach these guys how to tackle.
    :1:

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I can deal with this...

maineram is offline Registered User

The personality of this team is changing pretty quick already. I like Haslett on board as our DC. Know where to go but up for that bunch.

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Solid hiring, I've always liked Haslett's intensity. Scott Linehan stayed true to his word so far with his goal to be an attacking, aggressive team on defense and special teams [as well as offense]. Jim Haslett's defensive scheme certainly fits the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by AJD45
    Only problem is the short-term transition may be tough given our lack of LBs and a good strong safety. Little will probably have to switch back to OLB and other shuffling will have to happen. Bates probably would have been an easier transition since his scheme seems more forgiving to less talent
    Good point, although I don't know about Little changing positions at this stage in his career. A lot of blitzing will put pressure on our coverage linebackers and secondary [especially our mostly undersized cornerbacks] to produce in one-on-one situations, and with our current roster that's just not going to happen. Once all the right players are in place and familiar with the system, the Blitzburgh approach should be fun to watch.

Is he going to run the 3-4 [Pittsburgh] or 4-3 [New Orleans]?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Is he going to run the 3-4 [Pittsburgh] or 4-3 [New Orleans]?
    Thats a great question.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Linehan
    There will be flavors of that, and thatís one thing I talked extensively when I was approached on this job that defensively what I like is weíve built a team thatís based a lot on a 4-3 here, and there is some good 4-3 personnel thatís in place. As an offensive coach, when you look at defensive coaches and defensive philosophies, the people that create the most problems, in my opinion, are people that play the 4-3 defense, utilize the personnel with the ability to rush four, possibly bring a linebacker or nickel in some of the base blitz-packages. When you get on third down, the creative people on third down get in the 3-4, what I call odd packages, and seemingly blitz from everywhere. That creates more headaches for offenses than anything. The ability to affect the game defensively on third down by being able to make that switch was big in my conversations. That was big in my conversations with Jim, because thatís exactly what his specialty is. Heís really been a 4-3 guy, and they worked toward that defensively when he was at New Orleans, but the third-down packages that they ran and the multiples that they ran were a nightmare for offenses to prepare for, and I really think thatís where you will see it initially.
    Guess that answers it. A base 4-3 defense with the 3-4 thrown in on some third downs. Never heard of that approach - this should be refreshing compared to anything ol' Marmie could come up with [and the soft Cover 2 zone defense]. Linehan sounds like he's got some decent knowledge of the defense, at least enough to know what sorts of things were "nightmares for offenses to prepare for."

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I think it's a good hire and I like his attitude. He'll get this thing turned around.

As for the scheme, several teams who run a base 4-3, mix in some 3-4 looks and vice versa. I think Belichick does for one, or if he doesn't right now he did.

We have the personnel for it, just not the depth at LB.

It can work, and whilst I don't think we'll see Blitzburgh on opening day, I think we'll see a more competitive unit. One worrying thought is whether our cap will give him room to bring more talent in.

Interesting implications for the draft too............

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12