RamsFan16 Guest

Haslett wants Witherspoon on Outside next year/Bernie Bits

Bernie Bits:
    ON STICKING WITH FISHER:

That's been one of Haslett's worse traits -- he kept playing Fisher and has completely buried Butler ... and this team is paying Butler a lot of money. Fisher is mediocre at best. And that's generous. ...

ON DEFENSE:

They must change the personnel philosophy on defense, and unless Haslett leads the charge, he's part of the problem instead of the solution.

You can't play this undersized Tampa 2 defense without a stud tackle, a stud LB, and a stud strong safety.

Rams are 0 for 3 in all of those areas .... W'Spoon is a helluva an athlete, but he's miscast as a MLB.

ON SPOON:

Spoon was a Haslett guy at OLB.
    Which is where he wants him to be next season.

ON GAME:

Lots of blame to go around.

Defense played well enough to win, even with the cushiness against the run... Seattle did very little offensively in the second half -- but granted, they needed to stuff the run on that last drive. Bottom line is, the defense allowed 17 points on the road in a hostile stadium. You can win with that. And the defense also scored a TD.

If I had to make a "blame" list I start with the offense -- fantastic field position most of the day, and only one TD, and more incompetence in the red zone. Haslett's defense scored as many TDs as Linehan's offense.

So Nick, IF this is true about Haslett wanting Witherspoon on the outside next year. Would a Draft Pick of Patrick Willis if availible still be a very good pick and IF he would indeed play his Natural MLB spot would this pick be perfect?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Haslett wants Witherspoon on Outside next year/Bernie Bits

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    So Nick, IF this is true about Haslett wanting Witherspoon on the outside next year. Would a Draft Pick of Patrick Willis if availible still be a very good pick and IF he would indeed play his Natural MLB spot would this pick be perfect?
    If it's true that Haslett wants to move WW outside next season, then selecting a talented middle linebacker would be good, yes. The perfect pick? Dunno. I would be anxious to see what is available for the defensive line before I'd call that selection perfect in November. A group of Pisa-Willis-Spoon makes me wonder who is playing the strong side, though.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

rampete Guest

i would hope the rams FO would look into the FA first, in search of a good MLB...

i wouldn't bet that a rookie LB can come in and make an impact immediately...
    but one can dream...

here's a list of FA linebackers that may be available next offseason:

OUTSIDE LINEBACKERS
    RNK PLAYER HT WT AGE TEAM STATS
    1 Adalius Thomas 6-2 270 30 Ravens 41 tk, 7.0 sacks, 1 INT, 4 PD
    2 Lance Briggs 6-1 240 26 Bears 62 tk, 1.0 sacks, 1 INT, 1 FF, 4 PD
    3 Shaun Phillips (RFA) 6-3 262 26 Chargers 25 tk, 6.0 sacks, 2 FF, 1 FR, 4 PD
    4 Cato June 6-0 227 27 Colts 77 tk, 0.5 sacks, 2 INT, 1 FF, 3 PD
    5 Pete Sirmon 6-2 237 30 Titans 49 tk, 0.5 sacks, 1 PD
    6 Na'il Diggs 6-4 240 29 Panthers 30 tk, 1 PD
    7 Shawn Barber 6-2 240 32 Eagles 38 tk, 1 FF, 1 FR, 5 PD
    8 Demorrio Williams (RFA) 6-0 232 27 Falcons 51 tk, 1 INT, 2 PD
    9 E.J. Henderson 6-1 245 27 Vikings 50 tk, 2.0 sacks, 2 INT, 3 PD
    10 Landon Johnson (RFA) 6-2 228 26 Bengals 49 tk, 1 INT, 3 PD

INSIDE LINEBACKERS
    RNK PLAYER HT WT AGE TEAM STATS
    1 Donnie Edwards 6-2 227 34 Chargers 57 tk, 1.0 sacks, 2 INT, 1 FF, 1 FR, 3 PD
    2 London Fletcher 5-10 245 32 Bills 70 tk, 2.0 sacks, 2 INT, 1 FR, 8 PD
    3 Chris Draft 5-11 232 31 Panthers 53 tk, 1.5 sacks, 1 FR
    4 Junior Seau 6-3 248 38 Patriots 52 tk, 1.0 sacks, 1 PD
    5 Kawika Mitchell 6-1 253 27 Chiefs 45 tk, 1.5 sacks, 1 FR, 1 PD
    6 Randall Godfrey 6-2 245 34 Chargers 31 tk, 1.0 sacks, 2 FF, 2 PD
    7 Ben Taylor 6-2 238 29 Packers 7 ST tk
    8 Danny Clark 6-2 245 30 Saints 3 tk
    9 T.J. Slaughter 6-0 233 30 ***** 8 tk,
    10 Rob Morris 6-2 243 32 Colts 13 ST tk

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by rampete View Post
    i wouldn't bet that a rookie LB can come in and make an impact immediately...
    Yet the only three free agent MLBs I see on your list that I'd look at are Edwards, Fletcher, and Draft. The first two likely only have 2-3 more seasons and will command big money. The latter isn't exactly a huge upgrade. We need someone young we can groom to secure the position for the future alongside of Pisa and Spoon. I don't see that in the free agent MLB group.

Besides, I'm not exactly putting money on Bernie's prediction. It seemed pretty clear when Spoon was brought in that it was done so he'd be able to man the middle. After nine games, Haslett has already given up on that idea? Maybe, maybe not. But it'll take more than Bernie to get me to buy some of that property.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

rampete Guest

good points about bernie...i doubt he even talks to haslett...

i wouldn't mind the rams drafting a MLB like pat willis of miss...i just hope they look into the FA also...lance briggs or ej henderson can probably man the middle as henderson did at maryland...