RamWraith is offline Registered User

Haslett Won't Trust Jackson This Time

11.03.2008 5:36 pm
    Around The Horns
    By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

It was apparent in his day-after-game remarks Monday that Jim Haslett wasn’t pleased with his running back, Steven Jackson. After pronouncing himself ready to go — he made that announcement Saturday on his website — Jackson obviously still was hindered by the strained thigh he suffered two weeks ago.

In fact, Jackson pulled himself from the game before the first snap, fearing that he couldn’t make the sharp cut required on that particular play, Haslett said. Jackson wound up carrying seven times for 17 yards in the 34-13 loss to Arizona.

“We worked him out (before the game) and he said he felt good,” Haslett said. “From my vantage point and from the guy who is calling the plays, I don’t know if that’s fair. . . . You’re trying to game-plan and all of a sudden on the second play, he can’t go or he’s not 100 percent and you’re in a state of flux the whole game, trying to call the game.”

Before Haslett trusts Jackson again, he’s going to have to see him go through a full load of work in practice. “If he goes out and practices Wednesday, Thursday or Friday and he looks good and he gives us a full day of work, he’ll be ready to go” Sunday against the Jets, Haslett said. “If not, then he will not play this week.”

<><><>

Notes & quotes:

*Breaking news: Rams might sign P-D sportswriter. When asked who would back up Kenneth Darby if he’s the only healthy option at RB, Haslett replied: “Maybe you, Bill.” Antonio Pittman (hamstring) and Travis Minor (concussion) were hurt Sunday.

*Seriously, If Darby winds up with the first team, the Rams will need to find another RB. That could be Lance Ball, an undrafted rookie who was with the team in training camp. Ball is on the Falcons’ practice squad.

*Dante Hall’s days with the Rams probably are over. He’s heading for injured reserve with a high ankle sprain, and his contract expires after the season. Derek Stanley will return punts and kicks, Haslett said.

*Haslett hinted that some lineup changes might be made. “We’ll see, based off who we have,” he said. “Coaches are working right now trying to find out who we’re going to have and what we can do with them.”

*The Cardinals took control by outscoring the Rams 24-0 in the second period. They got 14 of those points in the final 4:43. “That last four minutes before the half was probably the worst football I’ve seen in a long time,” Haslett said.

All for now . . .

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Haslett Won't Trust Jackson This Time

Haslett is not happy with Jackson. Is it Jackson's fault though?

This could be looked at a couple of different ways.

1. Did Jackson say he was ready to go?
    2. Did anyone ask Jackson if he was at 100%? If not what was he at?
    3. Should Al Saunders have taken into consideration Jackson's questionable health when calling plays?
    4. Why call a play that your starting RB isn't comfortable with?
    5. Did the rest of his teammates put pressure on Jackson to play?
    6. Where's the communication breakdown?

Bottom line in my opinion is that Jackson screwed up our offense by suiting up for this game knowing he couldn't do everything that would be asked of him!!

I guess in this case Jackson's toughness or lack thereof messed things up in our biggest game of the season.
    Last edited by laram0; -11-05-2008 at 07:38 AM.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Haslett Won't Trust Jackson This Time

I hope some of these new roster changes are Leckey being benched. I really hope so...

I don't know much about either of the RB's who will be playing this weekend. Jackson will be riding bench along with Pittman and Minor. So we're playing with our FOURTH string RB on sunday. Not promising....