throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Haslett's Attitude Rubbing Off On Revived Rams

Sports Columnist Bernie Miklasz
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/20/2008

According to eyewitness reports, Jim Haslett had a wacko episode in the moments before the Rams left their locker room to play the visiting Dallas Cowboys.

Apparently the coach thought his players were too quiet, and a bit uptight. This would not do. So the berserk Haslett made his move.

A couple of chairs went down, and a few curse words went up as Haslett offered a very special critique of "America's Team."

"It was short and sweet," quarterback Marc Bulger said. "But it was full of explicit words."

It is safe to conclude that Haslett isn't quite up there with, say, ESPN when it comes to honoring the Cowboys and worshipping their various icons. It is probably safe to conclude that Haslett was tired of hearing about Jerry Jones, Tony Romo's pinkie and all things Terrell Owens. It is probably safe to conclude that the overhyped Cowboys make Haslett's headwires start to spark and smoke just the way Mike Martz's "Greatest Show" Rams used to when Haslett coached the Saints.

Haslett's players loved the show. A few players told me that Haslett loosened them up, made them laugh and raised their blood pressure. They were set to go.

"Those guys came out hungry today," Terrell Owens said later in the Dallas locker room. "Haslett did a good job coaching those guys and they came out fired up and they played well."

The Rams eviscerated the Cowboys 34-14 in a wipeout that is guaranteed to have Dallas coach Wade Phillips gulping plenty of antacid pills this week.

Dallas scored the game's first touchdown, and the game's last TD, but in between the Rams ran off 34 uninterrupted points in one of their boldest and most impressive victories in years.

In two games under Haslett, the Rams have upset two NFC East show horses, Washington and Dallas. And in each instance, the Rams trailed 7-0 and ended up with fewer yards. And it didn't matter. They played through it and broke through it.

It hasn't taken Haslett long to make progress in rehabilitating the Rams' competitive character. Attitude is an important element in football success, and Haslett has never been short on attitude. And it seems that a formerly downtrodden team is starting to absorb some of that bristly, defiant Haslett personality.

The Rams have talent, but former head coach Scott Linehan couldn't find the release valve. For whatever reason the talent didn't flow under Linehan, and the Rams lost the first four games by an average of 26 points.

Haslett has tapped into something here, and it isn't easy to define. No, Haslett didn't earn high marks as the Rams' defensive coordinator. But that's another requirement of head coaches: They also have to know how to coach their assistants. Under Linehan, Haslett never had free run of his defense. Some of his personnel wishes were squashed. Proposed lineup changes were vetoed.

Maybe Haslett was just as depressed and mentally defeated as many of the Rams players. But now the new HC and his team enjoy going to work again. They're busy replacing all that has been missing.

"Energy," linebacker Chris Draft said.

"Swagger," guard Richie Incognito said.

"Confidence," Bulger said.

"We're having fun now," running back Steven Jackson said.

Leadership still can make a difference. And the Rams will need more of it. Haslett's team will be tested at New England on Sunday. And Jackson may miss some time with a strained or pulled quad muscle. So winning won't come easy. But the Rams are 2-4 and in second place in the NFC West. And some of their key stars Bulger, Jackson, Torry Holt are reinvigorated.

"Jim is so natural as a head coach," said Rams defensive coordinator Rick Venturi, Haslett's longtime associate. "He doesn't have to find himself in this job. He knows what he's doing. The Saints franchise was really down when he took over as coach, and he won right away. So does this surprise me? Absolutely not, because he brings an immediate presence to your team. And the players have bought in to what he's telling them."

Sunday, the head coach wouldn't let up. When the Rams opened a 21-7 lead, Haslett prowled the sideline, asking for 28 points. When the Rams reached 34 points, Haslett stalked the sideline and repeatedly shouted "40."

And if it appears that Haslett is being greedy, then consider the alternative: those gutless Sunday surrenders that we'd gotten used to seeing around here. Haslett is doing what he can to make sure that those days are over.

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

Re: Haslett's Attitude Rubbing Off On Revived Rams

Haslett is my hero....

I wish he was my dad.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Sports Columnist Bernie Miklasz
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/20/2008
    "Jim is so natural as a head coach," said Rams defensive coordinator Rick Venturi, Haslett's longtime associate. "He doesn't have to find himself in this job. He knows what he's doing. The Saints franchise was really down when he took over as coach, and he won right away. So does this surprise me? Absolutely not, because he brings an immediate presence to your team. And the players have bought in to what he's telling them."

I love the leadership Haslett brings.
    :ramlogo:

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

It's funny that some didn't want Haslett as head coach. The guys good,

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I'm not gonna say that i was thrilled to hear that the d coordinator of the statistically worse defense in the NFL was becoming our head coach, but Linehan needed to go. I am really baffled at the turnaround quite honestly. Was Linehan really that bad of a coach? And does coaching influence a team that much?

Apparently it does, and I love what jim haslett is doing for our beloved Rams right now.